Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Well, I think I've decided to start with the 98 base for wood and grace. Let's see how this goes.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Those were the first two placed I checked. Sportlots doesn't list patterns. How do you manage through that?

It's easy. First make sure they didn't write the pattern number in the description, some do this. Otherwise, just look on the right side and hit "Ask Seller a Question". They'll reply and tell you.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Ultra makes a very nice 90 card binder with 1 ten sheets. All 90 of my completed 98 TEK sets are in them boxed away in 4 or 5 Magazine boxes, Actually it closer to 110 sets since I have several completed (and few partial) separate pattern# 1 sets and Same card/#pattern# ..Card #/ Player Uniform # set ..separate from Master set plus additional sets of Astros Biggio, Bagwell, Moises Alou, D Bell and 5 diffractor sets (only one 90 card diffractor set completed )

Very nice. I like that 90 is evenly divisible by both 6 and 9. That way, if I do decide to venture into this craziness, I can put them in binders.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
I like 34 and 90.

I'm about to purchase 6 different Vlad 98 Diffractors for $90. Seems like a pretty fair price.

I think it's a fair price. 50% over an understated Beckett high BV, but then again the Vlad diffractor Beckett BV has dropped.

I picked up a few cards from Mike (Mike Brown, pkerplyr) a while ago. You can haggle some with him, but he's been doing this for a long time and knows the value of the cards, Those Vlad diffractors were duplicates for me. Don't think he's an ex-Vlad collector though. He's been buying and selling cards, including large quantities of Teks, since at least 2000. In addition to the 6 Vlad diffractors and 74 base cards, he is also listing on Sportlots large quantities (50 or more) of base '98 Teks of Olerud, Edmonds (120 '98 Teks), Mondesi, Konerko, Salmon, D. Lee, Hidalgo, and Rolen, and some of just about every player in the '98 Tek series. He's not asking a lot for many of those base cards, and you should be able to get a volume discount. If anyone is collecting those players, check it out!

I noticed there were 5 other diffractors snapped up off Sportlots in the past week, single diffractors of lesser players (IMO), as I recall priced in the $6 to $8 range, again duplicates for me. Figured I would see the guy from Rhode Island, 'onlyamazingdeals' offering these **RARE** diffractors for $29.95 or $39.95 on eBay any day now!

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
pkerplyr has most of the 98 TEK card listed on sportlots. I have over 1400 dupe ..Sell at high Beckett (non negotiable) plus cost of shipping. Lists furnished upon request

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Put this under the True Confessions category.

I should know better than to bid on eBay some time around midnight after a Bruins playoff game and a couple (a few) frosties. Saw a listing for 4 unopened packs of '98 Teks. Put in a modest bid. Figured I might get one diffractor out of four packs. Won the auction for $8.50 (+ $2.50 shipping). Sounded okay. Would have been the equivalent of getting a box for under $60.00 which would have been a bargain. Came in the mail yesterday. Just one pack! Started to steam and mutter to myself about a rip-off. Went back, took a look at the listing, and it was very clearly for one four-card pack. Same fellow has the same listing for '99 and '00 Teks. I mentally apologized to him and went ahead and opened my $11.00 '98 Tek pack.

Guess the same powers that be that were looking out for the Bruins in overtime were watching over my shoulder. Picked up a Helton diffractor, a new one for me, my 30th Helton pattern. Also base cards of Jeter, Bonds, and Delgado. $15.25 high Beckett BV just for the three base cards. So today I picked up a couple of Powerball tickets just in case I'm on a burn.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
HA - that is hilarious because I almost posted that ended auction with a WTF! :p

So glad it worked out for you! Can't believe you got a Diffractor... and one you needed to boot!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Put this under the True Confessions category.

I should know better than to bid on eBay some time around midnight after a Bruins playoff game and a couple (a few) frosties. Saw a listing for 4 unopened packs of '98 Teks. Put in a modest bid. Figured I might get one diffractor out of four packs. Won the auction for $8.50 (+ $2.50 shipping). Sounded okay. Would have been the equivalent of getting a box for under $60.00 which would have been a bargain. Came in the mail yesterday. Just one pack! Started to steam and mutter to myself about a rip-off. Went back, took a look at the listing, and it was very clearly for one four-card pack. Same fellow has the same listing for '99 and '00 Teks. I mentally apologized to him and went ahead and opened my $11.00 '98 Tek pack.

Guess the same powers that be that were looking out for the Bruins in overtime were watching over my shoulder. Picked up a Helton diffractor, a new one for me, my 30th Helton pattern. Also base cards of Jeter, Bonds, and Delgado. $15.25 high Beckett BV just for the three base cards. So today I picked up a couple of Powerball tickets just in case I'm on a burn.

This is hillarious! First, even if it was 4 packs, I'm surprised you took a gamble on it. I know when I busted a box of 1998 Tek myself, I was able to pull the diffractors before half the box was gone... I opened the balance of the packs in search of Belle's but never know who would just pawn off the left over packs. Anyways, great story... super glad you killed it!

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Ultra makes a very nice 90 card binder with 1 ten sheets. All 90 of my completed 98 TEK sets are in them boxed away in 4 or 5 Magazine boxes, Actually it closer to 110 sets since I have several completed (and few partial) separate pattern# 1 sets and Same card/#pattern# ..Card #/ Player Uniform # set ..separate from Master set plus additional sets of Astros Biggio, Bagwell, Moises Alou, D Bell and 5 diffractor sets (only one 90 card diffractor set completed )

That binder sounds perfect. Thanks!

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Yes that is one version . The other version says
Sports
Cards
Ultra Pro

on the cover but they are the same thing and work well for 1998 TEks.
I buy them at a local shop here in Houston for $ 4.95.

I also use them to store/protect some higher dollar inserts from other set as well

Members online

Latest posts