Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Here are another few variations I ran across:

1995 Stadium Club w/the World Series foil stamp, it can be in gold or silver:
10987010_10205940662018506_1926670718076066674_n.jpg

In addition to this, the 1995 Stadium Club "Trans Action" cards are not just rainbow. They can also be red foil.

Honorable mention: I've seen some 1995 Stadium Club World Series Cansecos be stamped on the mid right and on the upper left. Not sure why though.

I will have to check the World Series stamps on my Dawsons

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Here are another few variations I ran across:

1995 Stadium Club w/the World Series foil stamp, it can be in gold or silver:
10987010_10205940662018506_1926670718076066674_n.jpg

In addition to this, the 1995 Stadium Club "Trans Action" cards are not just rainbow. They can also be red foil.

Honorable mention: I've seen some 1995 Stadium Club World Series Cansecos be stamped on the mid right and on the upper left. Not sure why though.

The 1995 Stadium Club foil variations from series 3 are a pain - I've seen up to 10 different color combos/patterns for some players. In a dime box at the National, I pulled 9 different Piazza variations!

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Some 1998 Prisms are serial #'ed and some are not ...

10993079_10205942816632370_7058746069100128373_n.jpg

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
I think with that year prizm, there are two reasons for the non serial #ed :

1) the black of the number flaked off! I have seen this personally where part of the number is flaking off.

2) a ton were released as part of the factory sale or something like that (back door, closing doors, whatever). 2000 has TONS from all sets like that.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I think with that year prizm, there are two reasons for the non serial #ed :

1) the black of the number flaked off! I have seen this personally where part of the number is flaking off.

2) a ton were released as part of the factory sale or something like that (back door, closing doors, whatever). 2000 has TONS from all sets like that.

I think that probably #2 fits here with the pic I showed - it doesn't look like they flaked off. I think it would be good to document this though since both variations do exist. Gotta say ... I'm loving these differences I'm finding!

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
OK, so apparently not just the Bonus Cards in 1988 Donruss have the INC/INC. variation. I just found Mark Grace with the variation too! Oy!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The 1995 Stadium Club foil variations from series 3 are a pain - I've seen up to 10 different color combos/patterns for some players. In a dime box at the National, I pulled 9 different Piazza variations!

I think I have 24 different Clark "variations". Obviously some more obvious than others.

Ryan

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI

Speaking of Stadium Club variations, the 1996 set is overloaded with them. The Team TSC cards can be found in a multitude of foil colors. Right now on COMC, there are three Tim Wakefields: one has purple Team TSC and name, one has blue Team TSC and name, and the third has purple Team TSC and blue name. Plus, these Team TSC cards also exist with plain silver stamping instead of the normal holofoil (I think one version came in the retail "cereal box" sets").

Presumably, the Members Only set may have the same variations, but with only 750 sets made, these variations could be a lot harder to find.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009

These are the foil version of low ink/offset print flaw cards. Meaning, these cards were printed with foil sheets that made went red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple etc etc in a horizontal direction. It's likely the red (or beginning) of this pattern on their foiling sheets was a larger swath than other colors, hence the solo red foil versions.

This similar to getting 90's upper deck cards with sideways and upside down pattern holograms.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Another variation found... 1992 Fleer has the same U.S.A. vs. U.S.A as 1990 fleer cards. I have confirmed this one several cards but can't say for sure all cards have this variation.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Another variation found... 1992 Fleer has the same U.S.A. vs. U.S.A as 1990 fleer cards. I have confirmed this one several cards but can't say for sure all cards have this variation.

very cool - i found 3 of them and put them in the pc!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
These are the foil version of low ink/offset print flaw cards. Meaning, these cards were printed with foil sheets that made went red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple etc etc in a horizontal direction. It's likely the red (or beginning) of this pattern on their foiling sheets was a larger swath than other colors, hence the solo red foil versions.

This similar to getting 90's upper deck cards with sideways and upside down pattern holograms.

2000 Revolution has a similar variation. The background is a foil sheet with 2000 printed on it, and various fireworks effects. I started collecting diffrent background patterns when I noticed that they may not be 100% random. I have 9 different background patterns for Troy Glaus, but I did find several instances where the patterns were 100% indentical in terms of placement and orientation. There isn't an easy way to describe them, and they aren't really apparent unless you have a handful of the same card in front of you.

Also, don't forget the 1999 Skybox Soul of the Game (which have been mentioned a long time ago here). Normally, the foil starts red up at the top, but some do exist "upside down", with the blue foil at the top.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
jacksoncoupage : do you have a picture or a better explanation for the 1990 Score red border variations with the wedge by their name? Where is the wedge exactly... I have gone through tons of the reds and haven't seen one... maybe looking in wrong place.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
So apparently the 1991 Fleer set has the U.S.A. and U.S.A difference too. Ths is an easy way to distinguish between the variations among player cards. So people look to see if the hinetown is even with stat line or goes over, but this seems to be easier way.

Jan 14, 2009
jacksoncoupage : do you have a picture or a better explanation for the 1990 Score red border variations with the wedge by their name? Where is the wedge exactly... I have gone through tons of the reds and haven't seen one... maybe looking in wrong place.

There is a small red triangle or "wedge" to the left of the first letter of their first and last names. The wedge connects them to the bottom red border.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for the clarification. Now I know where to concentrate. Would love to see one of these is anyone has an example.
Obed

There is a small red triangle or "wedge" to the left of the first letter of their first and last names. The wedge connects them to the bottom red border.

Jan 14, 2009
I, too, would love to see a pic of this!

I do not have a pic, in fact, I've not seen a copy for many years now. The ones I clearly recall selling ca. 2004-2005 or so were: Jim Abbott, Felix Jose, Dave Henderson and Jerome Walton. For a while I thought they were maybe found in those pin card/combo packs but I located an Abbott and it was not the wedge type.

Also, around this time, there were a bunch of 1990 rookie subset cards showing up for sale that had their first/last name initials in yellow instead of blue. I know Dave Justice had this variation.

And lastly, there is fairly major variety on all blue border cards: they were printed for a shorter time with light blue names on back. This isn't an across the card "low blue ink" print flaw thing. As the borders remain dark blue on these. Rather, they were initially printed with light blue names or possibly printed for a short period due to a swap put of color? But definitely a different print.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Will check these out as well. Probably have 10 or so Justice RC from this set so will give them a look. Thanks for your thorough explanations on this set.

I do not have a pic, in fact, I've not seen a copy for many years now. The ones I clearly recall selling ca. 2004-2005 or so were: Jim Abbott, Felix Jose, Dave Henderson and Jerome Walton. For a while I thought they were maybe found in those pin card/combo packs but I located an Abbott and it was not the wedge type.

Also, around this time, there were a bunch of 1990 rookie subset cards showing up for sale that had their first/last name initials in yellow instead of blue. I know Dave Justice had this variation.

And lastly, there is fairly major variety on all blue border cards: they were printed for a shorter time with light blue names on back. This isn't an across the card "low blue ink" print flaw thing. As the borders remain dark blue on these. Rather, they were initially printed with light blue names or possibly printed for a short period due to a swap put of color? But definitely a different print.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
As far as set wide differences, I believe the 1990 Fleer set might have all cards with the printed in U.S.A. or U.S.A on back. Almost every player I am looking at has this difference when looking at 25-30 of each guy, maybe 1-2 have the U.S.A on back.

This fits what I just found. I have around 1000 1990 Fleer cards, and only 48 have the "U.S.A" on the back, which equates to three packs and change. I highly suspect most of the cards were from repacks, as they were somewhat brighter than most of the cards I opened back in 1990, which have aged a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts