Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this proof there IS NOT a corrected 2002 Topps Pujols?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
This is the Big Foot of the modern Baseball Card hobby.

For those who dont know, the 2002 Topps Albert Pujols was issued with a photo pf Palacido Polanco on the back.

There have been claims the card was corrected but there seems to be no image of it, EVER.
If I remember correctly, the Opening Day and Chrome versions of this card HAVE a corrected photo on the reverse.

Anyway, today a csutomer bought a 2010 Topps box and got the CYMTO reprint of the 2002 Topps Pujols Original Back insert. The back photo is the error with Polanco. Wouldnt you think Topps would issue the CORRECT version of this card?

Anyone know a way to get in touch with Rich Klein who used to do the E&V stories for Beckett?

koal

Aug 7, 2008
klarnold knows about this topic. i am pretty sure he has a corrected version as well. haven't seen him here in a while though.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
011873 said:
If I remember correctly, the Opening Day and Chrome versions of this card HAVE a corrected photo on the reverse.

I thought the factory sets had a corrected version. I'm pretty sure I've seen an image of it somewhere - maybe in one of the Beckett Reader's Write when I actually still got the magazine.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
The corrected versions supposedly appeared randomly in the blue factory sets (late print runs that were distributed around the holidays). Rich Klein wrote about it in his Beckett "Error & Variations" column back around 2005. I emailed Rich about the column and he replied back a few times with some info. The person who originally found the corrected version, listed it on ebay and it sold for around $60. I emailed the seller and he told me the same thing that Rich wrote about in the column.

Someone was selling a PSA 10 "Corrected" version on ebay a few weeks ago. I emailed the seller for a scan of the back of the card and it showed the wrong photo with Polanco...PSA mistakenly put "corrected" on the front label of the holder. I told the seller and he cancelled the auction.

I am starting to doubt these exist (I don't have one) because none have showed up on ebay since the original person supposedly found one. I am thinking that maybe the original person found an Opening Day card without the foil stamp on it. I do know that the 2003 Topps/Kanebo (Japanese) version has the corrected photo on it as you can see in my Albert Pujols Oddball thread. I think someone needs to try and buy a case of the blue factory sets and find out. Not many people are wanting to crack open 2002 Topps factory sets.

frankhardy

Sep 11, 2014
Being an experienced Cardinals collector for years, I know for a fact that the back of this card was corrected for HTA Blue Factory sets I own both versions in my possession. You can get the error OR the corrected version in the HTA stamped set, although the error is MUCH more plentiful. The corrected HTA version is very, very rare. All Opening Day, Chrome, and Refractors have the corrected back. The Japanese version was also corrected.

It is my strong opinion that the regular base card WAS NOT corrected. It is also my strong opinion, that the gold parallel serial numbered version WAS NOT corrected either because it was released with the original regular version inserted in packs.

I will never change my mind on my opinion until I see one.

I know some people claim to have seen one on Ebay several years ago. There are 2 possible explanations. One, it was a scam listing which would be easy to do. Or, two, it was an HTA version from a factory set that was missing the foil stamp.

Last edited:

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Here is my PSA 9. I have 2 other non-graded corrected HTA stamped ones as well. It is possible someone could have found an HTA one that was missing the foil stamp.

Attachments

• 20240313_195759.jpg
    20240313_195759.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 14

Members online

Latest posts