Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Unnumbered Gold Refs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

Look close. What he did was scan the back of a regular refractor. He probably did it to save time and just swap out the cards for their fronts. If you look in the top left under the card number it says "Refractor" -- which are unnumbered.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
A_Pharis said:
Look close. What he did was scan the back of a regular refractor. He probably did it to save time and just swap out the cards for their fronts. If you look in the top left under the card number it says "Refractor" -- which are unnumbered.

Did the gold refs say gold ref under the number or only refractor and then the serial number?

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
A_Pharis said:

Oh, if that's the case then...my bad...but still kinda stupid IMO!

A_Pharis

mredsox89 said:
A_Pharis said:

Did the gold refs say gold ref under the number or only refractor and then the serial number?

i thought they distinguished, but you may wanna check that.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
every color says refractor except for the superfractor.
Correct (dumb move on Topps' part).

This guy has a boat-load of golds though from Chrome AND Sterling (2006 only) with no serial numbers. He doesn't even mention any serial numbering in the descriptions. Something isn't right. I'd definitely ask him why before bidding on any of that stuff.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
carlitoson said:
thenumberonemetfan said:
every color says refractor except for the superfractor.
Correct (dumb move on Topps' part).

This guy has a boat-load of golds though from Chrome AND Sterling (2006 only) with no serial numbers. He doesn't even mention any serial numbering in the descriptions. Something isn't right. I'd definitely ask him why before bidding on any of that stuff.

Also looks like non of the sterling are in there "uncirculated" cases..

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah, the sterling gold refs w/o the uncirculated cases really tipped me off that something fishy is going on...would you still buy the cards w/o the serial numbering (if you wanted the Maybin for instance)?

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Messier2 said:
...would you still buy the cards w/o the serial numbering (if you wanted the Maybin for instance)?
Not without asking first what's going on with those. If I still thought these were back-doored or otherwise "fishy", the guy wouldn't get a cent of my money. Why would I pay him anything if that was the case? To embolden him to do it again? I might be in the minority but as a collector, that's how I think.

hitforthecycle

Aug 7, 2008
Des Moines, IA
A_Pharis said:

I know most of them are from 06 BC and the refractors are numbered to 500.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
hitforthecycle said:
A_Pharis said:

In my opinion, he used the backs of a regular base chrome to serve as sort of like a stock photo. It doesn't say refractor or gold refractor under the card number.
Edit-I'm blind.

A_Pharis

hitforthecycle said:
A_Pharis said:

My bad. Sorry.

hitforthecycle

Aug 7, 2008
Des Moines, IA
trademhigh said:
hitforthecycle said:
A_Pharis said:

In my opinion, he used the backs of a regular base chrome to serve as sort of like a stock photo. It doesn't say refractor or gold refractor under the card number.

Where are you looking? I clearly see it.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Looks funny to me... Seems odd that they all have a similar green tint...and there looks to be some photoshopping on the back where serial numbers should be.
0.01% chance that I'm wrong though.

Edit. wow... I said tent instead of tint! :|

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
When the Venable was listed, I immediately noticed the error and E-mailed the guy (I already have 3 of the 10 and wanted to know why his was unnumbered). As mentioned before, the back of each Gold does only read "Refractor", but the serial numbering should be at the bottom of the card in the center.

Here was the response I got from the guy, take it for what it's worth....

Question was:

The back of this card is supposed to be serial #'d out of 10 on the bottom,
is yours? If so, what number? The picture doesn't show the numbering,
please advise.

-jea2880

Response that followed:

HI THESE ARE REPLACEMENT CARDS NOT # THANKS

Certainly nothing thorough, and at the time, I didn't realize he basically received an entire set of these replacements. Something strange going on with these...

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Guarantee these are back-doored. I'd venture an educated guess that these were originally an uncut sheet that someone at Topps handed out to a close friend and that person either sold it off or they themselves turned around and had it cut and they are now being distributed. Topps doesn't issue replacements like this. Topps holds back part of the print run on replacements, so they would all be serial numbered. The stupid thing to me is, if this guy was going to go to the effort of having an uncut sheet get cut, why didn't he take it to the next level and serial number the things so that it wouldn't draw so much attention.

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
BowmanChromeAddict said:
Guarantee these are back-doored. I'd venture an educated guess that these were originally an uncut sheet that someone at Topps handed out to a close friend and that person either sold it off or they themselves turned around and had it cut and they are now being distributed. Topps doesn't issue replacements like this. Topps holds back part of the print run on replacements, so they would all be serial numbered. The stupid thing to me is, if this guy was going to go to the effort of having an uncut sheet get cut, why didn't he take it to the next level and serial number the things so that it wouldn't draw so much attention.

T.Wall also sold a few un# golds, I saw he sold a Un# gold Hellickson recently. Maybe topps hooked some people up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts