Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

David Wright or Miguel Cabrera?

Miguel Cabrera or David Wright?

• Miguel Cabrera

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
Who would you take in terms of pure talent? Both players are young and, in my opinion, very comparable. Their stats for the year:

David Wright: .288 AVG, 21 HR, 87 RBI, 75 K
Miguel Cabrera: .298 AVG, 21 HR, 85 RBI, 86 K

Now that both players are playing with a bit of protection, who would you think is the better player? I'm biased, so I will keep hush about it.

And please don't come in here like an idiot and rant about how fat Miguel Cabrera is/was. I think everybody is well aware that he has put on some weight.

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
i may be a bit biased but david wright is a better fielder a bigger threat on the base paths and a team leader. miguel cabrera is an amazing player but he isnt the 5 tool player wright is.

wmb1289

Aug 7, 2008
New York
If someone could help me with the name who ever the stat guy is for the red sox (responsible for obs and slg now being such important stats) he did an analysis of players in baseball today and after pujols he said that statically wright is the second most important player in baseball
the guy is a genious, i guess I will believe him

bigalexx

Aug 7, 2008
El Segundo, CA
David Wright. Its about equal in terms of batting, but Wright is a much better fielder, and I would say that David Wright is also better in terms of leadership qualities.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
even without bias, i would pick wright over miggy

wright seems to have the fire when he plays but miggy, from what i have read/heard/seen, just does not seem like a guy who really strives to be the best, ya know? load of talent but sometimes, im afraid he'll end up like andruw jones (past 2 years) because he's lost the competitive edge that all great players have

dave

pitt23

Aug 7, 2008
Houston
David Wright. Miguel Cabrera is very similar at the plate, but on the bases and in the field, Wright is a better ballplayer. Plus Wright walks more and does not strike out as often.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
wmb1289 said:
If someone could help me with the name who ever the stat guy is for the red sox (responsible for obs and slg now being such important stats) he did an analysis of players in baseball today and after pujols he said that statically wright is the second most important player in baseball
the guy is a genious, i guess I will believe him

Bill James is widely recognized as the creator of Sabermetrics and was hired by Red Sox General Manager Theo Epstein in 2002 as a special adviser to bring his insight and knowledge of baseball statistics.

Fernando Martinez

Aug 7, 2008
Gotta go with Wright. Cabrera is a great player, but I've never been a fan of the way he plays the game and his lackluster defense.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I take Cabrera only because he had a tuff time in the beginning and is now just getting adjusted. With that being said look for him to start off big next year and his stats will be way better. Wright has been in the same system for some time now and those stats are what your going to get. They are not bad, but IMO miggy will have better stat's and have a bigger impact from here on out. As far as fielding goes wright is better at this time.

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
I have to go with Wright as well. Also, I don't think that the comparison on their avg. is a good point to point out right now because Wright is hitting way under what he normally does. They are both about equal for power stats I think, but after that, Miggy is a few steps back in just about every catagory.

Art

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
A couple of years ago I would have said Miggy but he just seems to have lost his drive(like another poster said). Weight not included, wright is till the better of the two as an all around player.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
I collect Miggy, but I'm still going w/ David Wright. I think it's closer than some others think, but Wright has Miggy beat in fielding.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
David Wright is a better all-around player.
Wright was a 30 homer, 30 steals player last year.
Cabrera had 2 steals last year, and has 18 total in his entire career.
Wright is also a better fielder and is a true 5-tool player.

DetroitTigers

Aug 19, 2008
Canada
mlbsalltimegreats said:
I take Cabrera only because he had a tuff time in the beginning and is now just getting adjusted. With that being said look for him to start off big next year and his stats will be way better. Wright has been in the same system for some time now and those stats are what your going to get. They are not bad, but IMO miggy will have better stat's and have a bigger impact from here on out. As far as fielding goes wright is better at this time.

Agreed. Cabrera was doing bad at the start of the year, after the all star break is when he started to heat up. I think he will have much better stats next year and he should have a much better average as well. He also moved to first base, so his defence dosen't have to be great because what position he plays.

Members online