Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Ultimate Nolan Ryan available?? Finest Refractor Promo!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Of course, this isn't mine, but I would have loved to have had it. Is there any Nolan Ryan that are tougher to find? Maybe the 1990 Score Promo, but this card is sweet!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Finest-Nol ... 2319e9a7f4

I saw it the first time it was listed on completed auctions with a very reasonable buy it now. Guess we get to see what it's worth now.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
To me, that card does not even look good. It's always bizarre to me when "rare" automatically carries the assumption of "valuable" in this hobby.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
/10 said:
To me, that card does not even look good. It's always bizarre to me when "rare" automatically carries the assumption of "valuable" in this hobby.

Wow! Really? I think it looks awesome! And comes from 1 of the most historic sets ever released. This particular card is rare and valuable, obviously not 11K valuable, but I bet this card, if he ever sells it, will be 1 of the most expensive 90's releases ever sold. He got it with a BIN of $599.99, which I thought was a steal.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Anyone who think that in 2012, images scrolling across a screen in weak 90s animated fashion should shoot themselves in the face and donate their vital organs to the lion exhibit at the local zoo or Catholic church.

Good grief.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I passed on buying one in 1996 in Midland, TX, because my dad wouldn't loan me $500. The guy thought it was a normal refractor

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I know it's been a couple of years, but there were a couple of huge offers floating around FCB to find one too. For those that don't think that card is going to sell for a ton, they should bookmark it. 90's are hot and few cards are better than that one.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
clarkfan said:
I know it's been a couple of years, but there were a couple of huge offers floating around FCB to find one too. For those that don't think that card is going to sell for a ton, they should bookmark it. 90's are hot and few cards are better than that one.

I know two NR collectors who own one. Both paid around $3-$4k.

I've seen 4 offered for sale in the last 15 years

I own an Alomar. Paid $200 for it

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Anyone who think that in 2012, images scrolling across a screen in weak 90s animated fashion should shoot themselves in the face and donate their vital organs to the lion exhibit at the local zoo or Catholic church.

Good grief.

Then there will be lots of vital organs available, b/c this card is epic. For those that know about this card, they will know this will be close to a record sale. I wish I had seen it before the $600 BIN was hit.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
What's the story on these?

I mean, it is a cool looking card, I just don't know a whole ton about it.

The story is that they ran off one sheet of the promo cards as refractors. There are three promos: Roberto Alomar, Don Mattingly, and Nolan Ryan. The Alomar shows up every now and then. The Mattingly is much scarcer (I owned one in the 90's). I've never seen a Ryan before.

Edit to add that in theory there should be equal numbers of all three cards.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
What did the Mattingly bring? I bet that one was nuts too if listed the right way. I look for them all the time, never seen one for sale. I vaguely remember someone here picking up 1 listed as just a regular promo, but that might not be correct either.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
I paid $2500 for a Mattingly in 1999. When I sold my collection that went with it. Someone here bought one and sold it for 4-figures, but I can't recall who or for how much.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
/10 said:

It's always bizarre to me when someone pipes in that is clueless. ::facepalm::

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Russ S. said:
[quote="/10":2k3qjihl]To me, that card does not even look good. It's always bizarre to me when "rare" automatically carries the assumption of "valuable" in this hobby.

It's always bizarre to me when someone pipes in that is clueless. ::facepalm::[/quote:2k3qjihl]

Wow, we agree Russ :lol:

I just figured he was a prospector that wasn't even born in 1993. Can't expect everyone to know about it.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
clarkfan said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Good grief.

Then there will be lots of vital organs available, b/c this card is epic. For those that know about this card, they will know this will be close to a record sale. I wish I had seen it before the $600 BIN was hit.
No, I absolutely know that. My sole issue is the eBay listing and that stupid scrolling set of images.

And yes, I remember 1993 quite well.

Members online

Latest posts