Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1973-74 O-Pee-Chee WHA Posters-A blast from the hockey past

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Maybe a year or two ago I posted scans of the complete 1974-75 O-Pee-Chee WHA set and stated it as my favorite vintage hockey set. Why? I don't know, something about the history, the goofy studio poses, incredible 70's mustaches, etc.

Well, far less collected, and a bit more annoying to store and display, here is the complete 20 poster 1973-74 O-Pee-Chee WHA poster set. The product was distributed folded in packs, and each poster measures approx. 7.5" X 12.5".

It included some true hockey legends like Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull, among others. The dated photography and basic designs make this one of my favorite inserts in all sports.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png
10.png
11.png
12.png
13.png
14.png
15.png
16.png
17.png
18.png
19.png
20.png

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Mike I remember you posting that set. it's so cool to look at those older cards and now this poster to see some of the big name players that played in the WHA. the Howe family poster is awesome.

thanks for sharing these.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
No Calgary Cowboys :(

actually now that i think about it, im pretty sure the Vancouver Blazers (I see a couple Blazers) moved to Calgary so these came out before the Cowboys existed!

these are so cool :D

i like the LA Sharks jerseys, but ugh those Chicago jerseys are oh sooooooo nasty :shock:

highphat

Aug 18, 2008
Those posters are great! I am a huge fan of the 74-75 WHA set as well. Les Howe is such an iconic card and one of my all time hockey favorites.
leshowespsa9.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
highphat said:
Those posters are great! I am a huge fan of the 74-75 WHA set as well. Les Howe is such an iconic card and one of my all time hockey favorites.
leshowespsa9.jpg
Yeah, they did a great job working the Howe angle for the WHA stuff.

I have three of the 74-75 sets...not sure why, but at 66 cards, it feels more like a full set with three of each.

highphat

Aug 18, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
highphat said:
leshowespsa9.jpg

I have three of the 74-75 sets...not sure why, but at 66 cards, it feels more like a full set with three of each.
Haha...yeah I agree! Man back in the early 90s I had a guy up at the local flea market with boxes of the old WHA hockey, selling packs for $5. I was going back every Saturday and buying whatever amount of packs I could afford that week. After a few months, the packs jumped up to $20. I built about a set and half. I sent in 2 of my Howes to get graded. Actually, those were the first two cards I ever got graded! The PSA 9 above and a PSA 8.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
highphat said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
highphat said:
leshowespsa9.jpg

Haha...yeah I agree! Man back in the early 90s I had a guy up at the local flea market with boxes of the old WHA hockey, selling packs for $5. I was going back every Saturday and buying whatever amount of packs I could afford that week. After a few months, the packs jumped up to $20. I built about a set and half. I sent in 2 of my Howes to get graded. Actually, those were the first two cards I ever got graded! The PSA 9 above and a PSA 8.
That would be a blast at $5/pack. And that PSA 9 Les Howes is amazing.

highphat

Aug 18, 2008
It looks like there are 17 PSA 9's and 0 10's. I was checking out the pricing on any unopened WHA and it is very pricey! Even the poster packs, which seem to be the cheapest, run $25+ per pack. I have all my wrappers from the packs I opened somewhere!

Members online