Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rare Cap Anson related postcard from 1907-08. GREAT NEW INFO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
So this is what it's all about for me collecting... the unexpected discovery and the acquisition of a personally significant item.

As many here know, I run the website http://www.capanson.com, and am an amateur historian of HOFer Cap Anson, the first player with 3,000 hits who played 1876-1897. Most of his cards and collectibles are beyond my means, costing in the thousands of dollars. But occasionally I get lucky.

Yesterday, a postcard got listed on eBay. It just happens that the seller lives very close to me. And the subject matter of the postcard was locally significant as well. It features a game being played by Anson's Colts, a semi-pro team that Anson managed in 1907-1908. His team is playing a against a town team from Marengo, IL - a town that is 10 miles west of where I live. The photo-postcard was produced by a photographic studio in Elgin, IL - a town 8 miles south of me.

So when I saw the listing last night on eBay, I immediately contacted the seller. He wrote me back today, and we had a nice conversation. He's a retired gentleman who has collected postcards of local significance for many years, and is now selling off his collection. He had seen my website while trying to research the postcard, so he knew my dedication to Anson. Being local helped the conversation along. By the end of the phone call, he accepted an offer from me to buy the postcard and end the auction. I'm stopping by his house tonight to pick it up and see his postcard collection.

The fun part will be trying to find any historical references to the game and identify the date it was played. I'd also like to know what the factory building in the background is. I love the "Adm. 10 cents" on the side of the grandstand, the old cars in the background, the fans still being allowed to sit in the outfield, and the in-game action. I don't think Cap Anson himself can be seen, but it will be fun to go over the card with a jeweler's loupe and see what other hidden information I can find!

AnsonsColts.jpg

Extra Large Scan

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Re: Rare Cap Anson related postcard find from 1907-08.

Very cool!

Not sure if it would be a factory or a school.

If you email the shot to the Marengo IL or McHenry County Historical Society, I bet you'd get a quick answer...and a lot of interest in a higher res. scan.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

200lbhockeyplayer said:
Very cool!

Not sure if it would be a factory or a school.

If you email the shot to the Marengo IL or McHenry County Historical Society, I bet you'd get a quick answer...and a lot of interest in a higher res. scan.

Great minds think alike - I emailed them about an hour ago. Judging from the quality of their website, I think I'll get some answers.
http://www.marengohistory.org

kjb023

Mar 13, 2009

Awesome postcard. Can't help but wonder, though, with the fans that close, were there a lot less screaming liners sent foul back in the day?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008

kjb023 said:
Awesome postcard. Can't help but wonder, though, with the fans that close, were there a lot less screaming liners sent foul back in the day?
Players rarely even wore gloves then. The balls were softer, the bats were heavier...all in all, less line drives.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

kjb023 said:

Ball was a lot "deader" and not nearly as hard or wound as tight as today's ball, but accidents and injuries did occur. Lots of stories of fan interference in the outfield in those days. Batter's usually choked up high on the bat handle too and punched at the ball instead of swinging from their heels. Batters tried to direct the ball to certain spots - punched passed infielders or short flies that landed in front of the outfielders, more than swing for power.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

Thank you for posting this. I can look at this type of stuff all day. Check out the cars parked in foul territory lol I also love the maniacs sitting right outside the foul lines :lol: Hey at least they are wearing hats :D

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008

Greg Cleveland said:
Pretty rough grass there in the outfield! Finding stuff like that is awesome. Hopefully you can acquire a few of his other postcards and share some scans. Looking forward to more!

As an outfielder, the grass was the first thing that caught my eye. I hate deep grass. Slows down the ball and seems to make it easier to roll your ankle.

Tom

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA

Fantastic postcard, looks like my kids t-ball game, just replace the car with strollers and add a couple of dads on the infield.

Can you imagine watching a game from your car on the foul line....amazing!

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe

My Mother in Law grew up in Marengo and has a huge number of family members living there still. Since she is 80 years old she might actually remember this building and shed a bit more light on this. I will see her this weekend and ask her if she remembers the building or even the park itself.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore

Wow! What a cool find! Hope your trip yields more!

BTW, I broke down on the side of the road in Elgin, IL once. Ah, memories...

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008

What a cool find!
You should have a show on PBS!

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida

Wow, Brad. Nothing less than incredible! :shock:
That kind of item never gets old so keep finding and sharing. ;)

Members online