Thread: 1998 Select

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1998 Select

1998 Select

Description

1998 Select was a proposed a 250-card fractured set, intended for release in September, 1998. The product was never released due to Pinnacle Brands' bankruptcy.
    The base set was fractured based on what Pinnacle called the "Quasar System." The first 100 cards were to be known as the "One-Stars," with the next 75 as the "Two-Stars." The next 50 cards were the "Three-Stars," and the final 25 the "Four-Stars." It is assumed that the One-Star cards were to have been the most common and the Four-Stars the most rare. An additional five cards (known as the "Five-Star Bonus" cards) were also to have been produced, but although these cards were not to have been sequentially-numbered as part of the base set, there were to have been serial-numbered to only 50 copies. Each base card was to have also been available in a "Jersey" parallel, with each card serial-numbered to the player's respective uniform number.
    There were to have been four insert sets: Diamond Dominance, Selected, Rare Form, and Select Numbers.
    Bankruptcy Issues

A bankruptcy judge ordered all un-issued trading cards (including cards from this product) to be destroyed; however, a number of 1998 Select cards have made their way into the secondary market. The only authorized cards from the set that were issued before the bankruptcy filing were a 10-card promo set of the Selected insert. All other cards were backdoored.
    Distribution

Reviews

Insertion Ratios

Cards Total Cards Numbered To Hobby Odds
    Base 250 - ?
    One-Star 100 - ?
    Two-Star 75 - ?
    Three-Star 50 - ?
    Four-Star 25 - ?
    Jersey 250 varies ?
    Five-Star Bonus 5 50 ?
    Diamond Dominance 10 - 1:23
    Selected 10 - 1:23
    Rare Form 10 - 1:99
    Select Numbers 20 varies ?
    Checklist

Base Set

The following 32 cards are the only known base cards to have surfaced on the secondary market. It is unclear, after all these years, what ever happened to the other 218 cards in the set.
    It has been estimated that less than 20 copies of each card made their way into the open market.
    4 Mark McGwire
    13 Hideo Nomo
    14 Alex Rodriguez
    24 Derek Jeter
    82 Tom Glavine
    104 Mark McGwire
    116 Ken Griffey, Jr.
    128 Derek Jeter
    149 Raul Mondesi
    159 Gary Sheffield
    169 Tony Gwynn
    178 Nomar Garciaparra
    179 Mark McGwire
    184 Tony Gwynn
    229 Mark McGwire
    234 Tony Gwynn
    235 Frank Thomas
    242 Jeff Bagwell
    243 Vladimir Guererro
    246 Chipper Jones

Parallels

Jersey Numbers

Jersey Numbers was intended to be a parallel of the full 250-card base set, with each card serial-numbered to the player's respective uniform number. These are the only Jersey Numbers cards known to exist. Only the Griffey is serial-numbered -- the rest are numbered "00/00".
    8 Cal Ripken, Jr.
    116 Ken Griffey, Jr. 24
    173 Magglio Ordonez
    110 Frank Thomas
    185 Frank Thomas
    235 Frank Thomas

Inserts

Selected

These 10 cards were the only cards from the 1998 Select set that were released before the Pinnacle Brands bankruptcy. A pack of two cards were released to Hobby dealers along with the sell sheets. The word "SAMPLE" was printed on the back of each card.
    Unlike the base set, it is unclear if any non-promo Selected cards were even printed, as none have surfaced on the secondary market.
    1 Vladimir Guerrero
    2 Nomar Garciaparra
    3 Ben Grieve
    4 Travis Lee
    5 Jose Cruz, Jr.
    6 Alex Rodriguez
    7 Todd Helton
    8 Derek Jeter
    9 Scott Rolen
    10 Jaret Wright

Select Numbers

Select Numbers was intended to be a 20-card insert set, serial-numbered to a player statistic. Like with the base cards and Jersey Number parallels, a limited number of Select Numbers made their way "out the backdoor;" however, the cards were NOT serial-numbered. Only 11 of the 20 cards from this set have surfaced on the secondary market.
    2 Juan Gonzalez
    11 Barry Bonds
    13 Derek Jeter
    14 Nomar Garciaparra
    15 Chipper Jones
    16 Pedro Martinez
    17 Hideo Nomo
    18 Randy Johnson
    20 Greg Maddux
    6 Frank Thomas

Five-Star Bonus

Five-Star Bonus was intended to be a five-card quasi-parallel of the base set. The design is similar to that of the base set, but the cards are sequentially-numbered "X of 5." Each card is serial-numbered to 50 copies.
    Mike Piazza was to have been card #5 in this set, but was replaced by Derek Jeter
    Beginning around 2007, a number of these cards were sold (as complete five-card sets with matching serial-numbers) on eBay. Before then, singles were incredibly rare items.
    1 Ken Griffey, Jr. 50
    2 Frank Thomas 50
    3 Cal Ripken, Jr. 50
    4 Greg Maddux 50
    5 Derek Jeter 50

Unreleased Inserts

Two inserts that were on the original sell-sheets were called "Diamond Dominance" and "Rare Form." In the years since Pinnacle's bankruptcy, no cards from either one of these sets have emerged on the secondary market. It can be assumed that these sets were never printed.

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicpapa View Post

Parallels

Jersey Numbers

Jersey Numbers was intended to be a parallel of the full 250-card base set, with each card serial-numbered to the player's respective uniform number. These are the only Jersey Numbers cards known to exist. Only the Griffey is serial-numbered -- the rest are numbered "00/00".
    8 Cal Ripken, Jr.
    116 Ken Griffey, Jr. 24
    173 Magglio Ordonez
    110 Frank Thomas
    185 Frank Thomas
    235 Frank Thomas
    Let's add one to the list:

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inserts

Selected

These 10 cards were the only cards from the 1998 Select set that were released before the Pinnacle Brands bankruptcy. A pack of two cards were released to Hobby dealers along with the sell sheets. The word "SAMPLE" was printed on the back of each card.
    Unlike the base set, it is unclear if any non-promo Selected cards were even printed, as none have surfaced on the secondary market.
    1 Vladimir Guerrero
    2 Nomar Garciaparra
    3 Ben Grieve
    4 Travis Lee
    5 Jose Cruz, Jr.
    6 Alex Rodriguez
    7 Todd Helton
    8 Derek Jeter
    9 Scott Rolen
    10 Jaret Wright
    Clarkfan has a Jeter for sale that is a non-promo. It is not marked "SAMPLE" on the back. Your's for $800. His eBay auction has a Wright Sample in the scan for comparison.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favorite sets. The cl info is clearly incomplete versus what I've seen on ebay. Lots of nice info though.

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one member here has a very nice sell sheet on this set, hope he will post it

randyswatches
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are my Thomas cards from that set. Wish that I had more variety! Would love to buy the other cards I am missing from this set!

randyswatches
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought this set in 2008 at AUCTION for $50....but have sold it off since. Was cool because they all had the same serial number

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could have used #16/50!

megaosfan08
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randyherth View Post
    I bought this set in 2008 at AUCTION for $50....but have sold it off since. Was cool because they all had the same serial number
    Now THAT is a steal.
    Not all these other claims.... oh look, at my steal. I saved 8 dollars.... blah blah.

The Ripken RAW sells for more then that regularly! I've seen it sell close to $150.

Here's my only contribution, thanks to Michael.

"You may never know the key to success; but the sure key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn545 View Post
    would that have been part of the Base set?

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ S. View Post

Here's my only contribution, thanks to Michael.

That was Magicpapa, Michaels not that nice of a guy .........................hehe

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can add Juan Gonzalez to the Jersey number list. #105 Level 2

#230 Level 4

#180 level 3 sorry no scan.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1998 Select

Unreleased Inserts

Two inserts that were on the original sell-sheets were called "Diamond Dominance" and "Rare Form." In the years since Pinnacle's bankruptcy, no cards from either one of these sets have emerged on the secondary market. It can be assumed that these sets were never printed.

Downsizing my AJ collection. If you are looking for a specific card (non-multi player), PM me, I may have it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downsizing my AJ collection. If you are looking for a specific card (non-multi player), PM me, I may have it.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast