Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Opinions Needed Please: Walter Payton signed Steiner NFL Football w/case.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I will also be meeting with a gentleman this afternoon that has a Walter Payton Authentic NFL autographed football that he purchased directly from Steiner. He is throwing in a glass display case and is asking $500. He does not have a picture of the display case. This is the best scan I have and it looks completely legit.

5G25K45Md3G93Ib3Hdc7161b6733209571cdf.jpg

Is this a no-brainer? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
From looking at past sales I think it seems to be a pretty good deal Randy.
Granted I'm no expert by any means, but Steiner has always been pretty respected in the sports memorabilia world.
The main reason I responded was to tell you that if you buy it and don't care for the case it comes with, let me know.
I have a pretty nice looking one downstairs that's sat empty for a long time.
Good luck with your decision.
David

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
From looking at past sales I think it seems to be a pretty good deal Randy.
Granted I'm no expert by any means, but Steiner has always been pretty respected in the sports memorabilia world.
The main reason I responded was to tell you that if you buy it and don't care for the case it comes with, let me know.
I have a pretty nice looking one downstairs that's sat empty for a long time.
Good luck with your decision.
David

Hi Tweety! Long time, no chat.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to be meeting this gentleman this evening between 6 and 7 est. From what I've seen it looks to be a pretty decent price, BUT there are a couple of things that concern me though. One is that there is one sitting on ebay with the Steiner seal/certificate, AND the Walter Payton Foundation/Celebrity Appearances, Inc. seal with no bids at $599 ($699 BIN) and yet the last one with the Steiner, WPF/CAI seals sold on July 3rd for $1,099. It just kind of leaves you scratching your head. It seems to be quite a discrepancy.

And secondly I'm no expert either but I'm wondering if Steiner and the WPF/CAI worked together with all of his signings or just some. On all the footballs on the bay both current and completed, they all contain both seals. I haven't seen any yet that only have the Steiner seal and certificate and not have the WPF/CAI seal as well. The gentleman only shows the Steiner seal and certificate but didn't mention anything about the WPF seal.
I do know that Steiner demands more value than a simple PSA/DNA or JSA authentication, but without the other seal I'm trying to figure out how much of a drop that is and if $500 might actually be a tad bit high?!?! I really don't know.

If anyone knows the differences between the 2 I'd really appreciate any info on them.

Anyhoo, thanks again for the response David and your offer on the case. I'll let you know if we strike a deal.

Take care buddy!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
What kind of case is it? Steiner makes a nice, glass-bottom Cherry wood case that goes for about $120ish retail. That would make it MUCH better IMO...

(And the cherry cases broke ALOT in shipping, so watch for that too).

And make sure to check the sticker number on the ball. Way back when, Steiner had a three or four month period where their shipping dept. was messing up sending the right number on the Certs. Not the buyer/now seller's fault but that number has GOT to match-up...

BTW, the Sig and cert both look good to me. :cool:

Members online

Latest posts