Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Well, you had an obsessive middle-schooler bidding against you with 10 bids, each $1.00 and $2.00 bid increments, often within seconds of each other, and he/she still didn't win!

Rich

Was surprised it went that high. Picked up this one on comc not to long ago, even though its a dupe. Just dont see many.

001_zps8xdvy92i.jpg

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
now wait a minute....i've been working on the set of them since i first cracked a hot box that had at least one in every pack ....currently i'm up to a little over 300 in my 8010 card set ....i also have one complete pattern 1 set and 1 complete same card number/pattern number set with set # 2 for each of these at just over 50% done.....of course i'm also on the lookout for condition upgrades for a few of them....can't pay those crazy high artificially inflated ebay prices , but i am willing to pay $2.50 each dlvd if anyone has a few extras just sitting around gathering dust

BUT , hat said , now you have me curious....you say yours is numbered to /9 and i see someone else pulled one numbered /16.....all of mine were numbered 1/1 or 01/01....have i completely overlooked yet another parallel version ? man i am sooooo out of touch with these things now....

I had heard about the #/16 versions a few years ago on the Blowout Boards. I saw photos of the AJ Hinch and Kerry Wood cards. I knew they were out there, just wasn't sure if anyone actually still searched for these.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Got beat out on a Bernie diffractor last nite geesh...:(
Still need card #7 patterns 1,71,77,86

Do you and kidfhof03 (Abe) know each other as he is also a Bernie Williams 98 TEK collector? Maybe you can help each other out. Last list I have of his want list show him needing Williams Pattern #s 1,32,67,71,82,86.

I dropped out of Williams diffractor bidding a little over $ 20 which is about my max limit on diffractors (I'm thrifty) with the colorado collector winning the bid . He/she seems to win most of the high bids on diffractors the RR already has. More power to him/her

Last edited:

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I want to meet this Colorado collector sometime. Considering I just crossed the 6700 feedback rating line on eBay methinks someone has me confused with another diffractor bidder.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Do you and kidfhof03 (Abe) know each other as he is also a Bernie Williams 98 TEK collector? Maybe you can help each other out. Last list I have of his want list show him needing Williams Pattern #s 1,32,67,71,82,86.

I dropped out of Williams diffractor bidding a little over $ 20 which is about my max limit on diffractors (I'm thrifty) with the colorado collector winning the bid . He/she seems to win most of the high bids on diffractors the RR already has. More power to him/her

Thanks I do know Abe I bought a large lot from him a year or so ago.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I, as well as anyone else, have the right to bid on 1998 TEK diffractors too RR as I did not have any of the ones I bid on. I just stop bidding when I reach a level that is too high for me. Whats wrong with dollar increment bidding to test the price points? (nothing) Nobody has an exclusive on TEKs right? That other colorado? bidder is the one that makes you jump sky high with last second snipe bids between the two of you to get ones you want..not me...so chill. You guys are making it hard for everyone else to acquire reasonably priced diffractors but if you are willing to part with the dough for TEK diffractors more power to you and others those who do so as well. The bottom of the Diffractor market will collapse soon enough I would think. After all the set is 18 years old.

Your entire theory is flawed if collectors are picking up multiple copies of these to use as trade bait, even if they already own the pattern in these specific auctions. In fact, this makes the market even stronger.

Dec 4, 2008
Heh, calling someone a c*** sounds like a slur. Wasn't I, though.

After my big lot sale I am almost tapped out of 98 Tek now. Although I did pick up a nearly complete run of Sosa cards that I will be selling.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Heh, calling someone a c*** sounds like a slur. Wasn't I, though.

After my big lot sale I am almost tapped out of 98 Tek now. Although I did pick up a nearly complete run of Sosa cards that I will be selling.

You guys are a barrel full of laughs. it is c***_ on ebay note the underscore..but of course you knew that

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Your entire theory is flawed if collectors are picking up multiple copies of these to use as trade bait, even if they already own the pattern in these specific auctions. In fact, this makes the market even stronger.

You can believe what you want to believe but that is not correct. There are mainly two people driving the prices of TEK up on ebay above $ 20 for most of the non star cards. $ 52 for a Jason Kendall? Now that is hilarious. When those two individuals are not bidding TEK diffractors seem go for less than $ 10 for the non star diffractors. The stars card diffractors go for more as additional individual player collector who don't usually collect TEK as a rule come of the woodwork for their favorite star player like Griffey, Ripken, Jeter driving the prices of those TEK diffractor cards even higher. Thats just the way it is.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I'll start this off by saying I'm not a Diffractor expert nor do I even own any....but going by what you said Togaman id say that won't be the case for a couple reasons...
1. Boxes are like $500?! Even 98 EX you can get for around $100 and pull much bigger cards. Hell even 96 Certified is about $300-$350 when you find them. I can pull some might big cards out of those 2 boxes (theoretically). What's the biggest card you can pull out of tek?

2. Now with that said, you yourself have a ton of diffractors, along with another collector you claimed had about half the print run. Most guys I run into want to collect or hoard this stuff not sell it. Unless someone such as yourself sells off a really large run I don't see prices dropping overall that much.

Now with that said that doesn't mean you can't find it cheap. Half the auctions listed, the sellers don't even know they are diffractors. So you can find them listed cheaply as BIN, or hidden in the background of other cards even though everyone is pretty eagle eye in spotting that stuff. I think the popularity of the newer sets will only continue to grow the 98 and 99 sets.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Togaman has these market crash thoughts solely because he wants diffractors to be cheaper for him to purchase. His rants generally come after a big batch of diffractors ends (like this morning) and he wins none of them because they go for "astronomical prices" well outside his comfort bid zone. And I guess that's fine for him to think that even though there's zero evidence the sales of diffractors will ever dip to less than $10 per card. Keep being a bear in a bull market Togaman.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Joey nobody is actually paying $ 500 400 or even 300 for 98 TEk boxes... The same guys from Alvin Texas, one from Virginia and other from California I think keep relisting their same unsold boxes revising the prices slightly each time hoping to find a fish on the bait The highest value card should be the Ripken or Jeter but there are diehard Griffey collectors who go crazy and enter ebay bidding wars whenever a Griffey comes up.

BTW I like the EX product myself as well.

The reality of the 98 TEK Diffractors high price levels are that the prices will most certainly will fall from what you see going on now in that there are only a small handful of collectors who are willing to ante up the prices being paid by two or three main bidders in ebay for diffractors. The rest, including myself, are willing to buy diffractors but only if we get a good buy. Most of the TEK guys seem to be mainly just trying to finish off their base 90 card favorite player sets some 18 years later. If their favorite player card comes as a diffractor they sometimes will bid until the prices go above $ 10. In addition, the RR guy with the impressive diffractor collection who seems to routinely pay $ $12-$70+ for specific card #/pattern # diffractors he doesn't have also has bunch of diffractor dupes that he ONLY trades (Does not sell. that is certainly his right) for ones he doesnt have thereby creating a bit of an extra incentive for individual collector guys to bid on diffractor cards they would not normally have an interest in to use as trade bait so they can trade him that card for a diffractor he has of their favorite player that he will only trade and not sell to them (again excellent strategy to get others to look for him) ... However, if RR doesn't have the card already they are most likely bidding against him on ebay which seems a bit counterproductive.

Since I only have around 300 98 TEK diffractors (one dupe 36p63) rarely do I see a diffractor listed on ebay that I have (I have less than 4%) and nobody really knows how many of each specific card # pattern# diffractors were actually made. I think I may have picked up five or six diffractors this past year by pure luck but will continue to bid on any listed diffractors on ebay up to a certain price point at which it not worth it to me (I'm thrifty) for my personal collection. I finished one 90 card diffractor set with 14 to go for Set # 2. I'm not sure if anyone else other than my one 90 card set and RRs numerous sets has actually been able to complete a 90 card diffractor set as 98 TEK collectors seem to be mostly acquiring Diffractors of their favorite players only... I also dont think anyone has actually completed an entire 90 card diffractor set of ONE player yet.

Last edited:

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I want the diffractors to be real cheap (I'm thrifty) or at least in the High Beckett realm ..But its not like I have to have them as they really aren't that important and like the words of a famous Rolling Stones song "You Dont Always Get Want You Want"

Happy TEK hunting to all

:
Togaman has these market crash thoughts solely because he wants diffractors to be cheaper for him to purchase. His rants generally come after a big batch of diffractors ends (like this morning) and he wins none of them because they go for "astronomical prices" well outside his comfort bid zone. And I guess that's fine for him to think that even though there's zero evidence the sales of diffractors will ever dip to less than $10 per card. Keep being a bear in a bull market Togaman.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
face it - you're not thrifty...you're cheap...and bitter....and that passive aggressive crap you keep using by referring to every other tek collector with a smart-aleck comment or attitude along with your constant bragging about your full set and all your partial sets and numerous diffractors gets really tiresome.....just give it a rest - PLEASE ??

and fwiw , as much as you hate it , base AND diffractor prices ARE climbing (and likely will continue to do so as the rising prices will probably entice even more people to get into the product for the first time) and boxes HAVE sold for those prices despite your insistence to the contrary (my own partner LOST boxes in the 260-340 range to other bidders so i have first hand knowledge).....

Members online

Latest posts