Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Man, I don't know how you keep finding these things! I still don't have a single Larkin diffractor and it's not because I'm not willing to pay for them. I just never see them. Your collection is getting quite extensive!

Has anyone seen one? I know the resident Lofton collector doesn't have one and has never seen one. Wonder if some players just weren't made by accident lol

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Well, they all exist. Weekend before last I did a trial run on Worthpoint solely to look at Diffractors. It wasn't very interesting, but I did see at least one Lofton Diffractor. Prices were all over the board on most players. No prices were outrageous.

Oh, and the word is that someone has made a Master Set. I can't remember now if they just meant all the base, but I think the rumor was it included every Diffractor. I find that hard to believe.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Well, they all exist. Weekend before last I did a trial run on Worthpoint solely to look at Diffractors. It wasn't very interesting, but I did see at least one Lofton Diffractor. Prices were all over the board on most players. No prices were outrageous.

Oh, and the word is that someone has made a Master Set. I can't remember now if they just meant all the base, but I think the rumor was it included every Diffractor. I find that hard to believe.

I know guys have the base set, not surprising. Back in the late 90's, these must had been EVERYWHERE at shows, on eBay, etc. As for including Diffractors, I HIGHLY doubt this lol.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I know guys have the base set, not surprising. Back in the late 90's, these must had been EVERYWHERE at shows, on eBay, etc. As for including Diffractors, I HIGHLY doubt this lol.

In my experience, these have NEVER been everywhere at shows, even upon release. They weren't really that popular, and many people really hated the idea of 90 or 60 different patterns of the same guy. They've always been a challenge to track down. Granted, it's harder now with all the years gone by, but I can't characterize it ever as being easy to find them.

One collector who did have a full base set and many diffractors was "togaman." I traded with him on two or more occassions. Last I talked to him he was working on a second base set (8,100 different cards). Just googled him and found this post from earlier this year - he claims at least 3 others build the master base set, and has a list of over 1400 cards for trade:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/...l-trade/241842-1998-topps-tek-sale-trade.html

Got my 37th 1999 Tek Gold Grace pattern last night:

$(KGrHqR,!jYF!6LF7,vFBQT3dCLjj!~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
^^^ Yea, I was going to mention togaman... he was on here for a while but I think got board with FCB or something because he wasn't getting any traction with trades and/or sales... but could be wrong with this statement.

Anyways, yes, he does know a group of set collectors and he and I have done a few deals. Man I'd love to get the Belle's off him I need... my % would skyrocket if I could clip of more of these damn tek patterns but it has become a great part of my hunt for adding to the PC.

As for how they were back in the day, I'm sure these were not really all that popular back then now that I think about it considering all the hot product that was starting to surface. Plus I've seen cases of the '99 tek stuff on eBay, so I know there is a lot out there. That'd be an awesome group case break between player collectors. We'd all for sure finish the base patterns off and hopefully knock off some Golds but it's wishful thinking ;)

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008

Looking at the link gracecollector listed, my guess is his diffractor sets are not every pattern. I can't imagine he has every diffractor pattern in 1 set and the ones he needs for the 2nd set are that few. So I would feel safe saying noone has a diffractor set with every pattern.

sruchris

Jun 30, 2010
I'm working on the 1999 Tek master base set. I need about 1,000 cards. If you have any extras, let me know.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Looking at the link gracecollector listed, my guess is his diffractor sets are not every pattern. I can't imagine he has every diffractor pattern in 1 set and the ones he needs for the 2nd set are that few. So I would feel safe saying noone has a diffractor set with every pattern.

Yeah, he says he has just one set that includes each player. He also collects common Diffractors.

I think it's interesting that he says base sets of Tek sell for $120. Recent market activity is about half that. In fact, it's $42, $50, and $60.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Yeah, he says he has just one set that includes each player. He also collects common Diffractors.

I think it's interesting that he says base sets of Tek sell for $120. Recent market activity is about half that. In fact, it's $42, $50, and $60.

Well to his defense, his post was from January of this year. I have no clue if the prices have dropped that much, if so, that is a big dropoff.

spcollector

Nov 11, 2009
Looking for $20 Paypal delivered for this 1998 Topps Tek lot. Please PM me if you are interested. Here is the lot:

63-20 Paul Konerko DIFFRACTOR
5-75 Ivan Rodriguez
15-7 Nomar Garciaparra
17-22 Vladimir Guerrero
17-82 Vladimir Guerrero
26-87 Andruw Jones
32-55 Curt Schilling
34-82 Larry Walker
39-32 Randy Johnson
40-82 Rafael Palmeiro
41-60 Pedro Martinez
47-39 Albert Belle
56-67 Raul Mondesi
65-1 Javy Lopez
66-72 Manny Ramirez
67-82 Roberto Alomar
80-24 Mike Mussina
88-1 Scott Rolen
89-53 Jim Thome

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Looking for $20 Paypal delivered for this 1998 Topps Tek lot. Please PM me if you are interested. Here is the lot:

63-20 Paul Konerko DIFFRACTOR
5-75 Ivan Rodriguez
15-7 Nomar Garciaparra
17-22 Vladimir Guerrero
17-82 Vladimir Guerrero
26-87 Andruw Jones
32-55 Curt Schilling
34-82 Larry Walker
39-32 Randy Johnson
40-82 Rafael Palmeiro
41-60 Pedro Martinez
47-39 Albert Belle
56-67 Raul Mondesi
65-1 Javy Lopez
66-72 Manny Ramirez
67-82 Roberto Alomar
80-24 Mike Mussina
88-1 Scott Rolen
89-53 Jim Thome

I'll take it!!!!!!!

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
The market is soft on Konerko Diffractors right now. A board member has one on ebay - it didn't sell for $15, and after being listed at $15 OBO has no offers. I got my lot of four Konerkos for $20.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
The market is soft on Konerko Diffractors right now. A board member has one on ebay - it didn't sell for $15, and after being listed at $15 OBO has no offers. I got my lot of four Konerkos for $20.

That's surprising Konerko is that cheap.Always thought he was underrated.Now I don't feel so bad getting rejected for $10 or so on the Jordan Diffractor.Seller just wants too much, and I just don't want it that badly.

Members online