Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 274 of 286 FirstFirst ... 174224264270271272273274275276277278284 ... LastLast
Results 4,096 to 4,110 of 4287

Thread: The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat38 View Post
    Always enjoy matching up my '98 Tek diffractor collection with those of the player collectors. Invariably there's a huge overlap as Joe @onionring9 recently pointed out about our respective McGwire diffractor collections. I only have 34 Ripken diffractors to your 50, but our collections overlap by 22. I do have Ripken diffractor patterns 3, 7, 9, 11, 22, 27, 34, 45, 56, 58, 70, 90, but that still just totals 62 patterns between us. (Not looking to sell or trade at this time except for an extra Ripken diffractor p. 48.) 62 is the largest number I have of any one player, 62 different diffractor patterns of Rafael Palmeiro. Only other players I have more than 50 diffractor patterns of are Manny Ramirez (57) and Roger Clemens (52).

BTW, you are another on a long list of diffractor collectors without a diffractor pattern 41. I have 3,464 different diffractor patterns of the 90 players but no pattern 41 of any player! Haven't heard of anyone that has one.

Rich
    Why do you think that is about p 41

Sent from my SM-N920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3,464 different refractor patterns?? 😳
    That is incredible...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3,464 diffractors? Good god man. That is NUTS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	renstimpy_0.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	69302

If you wake up one morning with an overpowering feeling to dump your Alomar diffractors, well you know who to call

Always enjoy matching up my '98 Tek diffractor collection with those of the player collectors. Invariably there's a huge overlap as Joe @onionring9 recently pointed out about our respective McGwire diffractor collections. I only have 34 Ripken diffractors to your 50, but our collections overlap by 22. I do have Ripken diffractor patterns 3, 7, 9, 11, 22, 27, 34, 45, 56, 58, 70, 90, but that still just totals 62 patterns between us. (Not looking to sell or trade at this time except for an extra Ripken diffractor p. 48.) 62 is the largest number I have of any one player, 62 different diffractor patterns of Rafael Palmeiro. Only other players I have more than 50 diffractor patterns of are Manny Ramirez (57) and Roger Clemens (52).

BTW, you are another on a long list of diffractor collectors without a diffractor pattern 41. I have 3,464 different diffractor patterns of the 90 players but no pattern 41 of any player! Haven't heard of anyone that has one.

Rich
    Collecting Roberto Alomar cards. Got rare ones? PM me and let's make a deal!
    Some key cards still on the wantlist:
    1992 Star Promo - 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promo
    1995 Score Rules Jumbo - 1996 Aficionado First Pitch Preview
    1996 Select Mirror Blue & Gold - 1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion
    1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold - 1997 Topps Stars All-Stars
    1997 Score Platinum and Premier Club Teams - 1998 Bowman's Best Atomic

rinkrat3814
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onthespotdetailing View Post
    Why do you think that is about p 41

Sent from my SM-N920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Not p. 41--my mistake. It's p. 49 that's missing. My guess would be some kind of print run foul-up. A number of us have checked with many player collectors and no one has one. Before I discovered the missing p. 49 stuff, I did talk to a card store owner in Illinois who had several cases of '98 Teks that he was sitting on -- still is as far as I know, but he also had a quantity of uncut '98 Tek diffractor sheets. Didn't get info about players or patterns. May be that is part of an explanation. Anyone knows, I'm all ears!

Rich

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That pic + Rinkrat only having 62 patterns of a player is pretty depressing.

How are you other collectors rationalizing that there is no true completion available? The thrill of the chase is what I loved about the set but honesly I'm not sure I'm going to continue chasing a truly impossible completion.
    Downsizing my AJ collection. If you are looking for a specific card (non-multi player), PM me, I may have it.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not p. 41--my mistake. It's p. 49 that's missing. My guess would be some kind of print run foul-up. A number of us have checked with many player collectors and no one has one. Before I discovered the missing p. 49 stuff, I did talk to a card store owner in Illinois who had several cases of '98 Teks that he was sitting on -- still is as far as I know, but he also had a quantity of uncut '98 Tek diffractor sheets. Didn't get info about players or patterns. May be that is part of an explanation. Anyone knows, I'm all ears!

Rich
    I'd really really like to see a picture of an uncut diffractor sheet, that must be incredible!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since none of us will ever have complete collections because of 1/1's, I guess I'm already over it. I suppose I have gradually come to think of diffractors as 1/1's. Same thing for 99 and 00 golds but to a lesser degree. I will get them now and then if the price is right, but I have no fantasies of ever getting them all.

I don't think anyone has ever gotten a complete run of diffractors for any player have they? And there are collectors out there who are much more serious than me, who have many more connections in the hobby, and who have been working for 20 years on it! I mean, if Rich is still "only" at 62 for one player, then I don't stand a chance.

Basically what I'm saying is that I repeat the serenity prayer often

Quote Originally Posted by Fandruw25 View Post
    That pic + Rinkrat only having 62 patterns of a player is pretty depressing.

How are you other collectors rationalizing that there is no true completion available? The thrill of the chase is what I loved about the set but honesly I'm not sure I'm going to continue chasing a truly impossible completion.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar cards. Got rare ones? PM me and let's make a deal!
    Some key cards still on the wantlist:
    1992 Star Promo - 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promo
    1995 Score Rules Jumbo - 1996 Aficionado First Pitch Preview
    1996 Select Mirror Blue & Gold - 1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion
    1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold - 1997 Topps Stars All-Stars
    1997 Score Platinum and Premier Club Teams - 1998 Bowman's Best Atomic

rangercalfas
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nuts

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know of more than 5 copies of any diffractor pattern? I know there are 5 of McGwire pattern 1 (I have 3 and know 2 people that have one as well) so there are at least 5. Just curious if anyone has tracked more than 5 of any or if that's as high as we've gotten.
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 44 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

corockies
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    I don't think anyone has ever gotten a complete run of diffractors for any player have they? And there are collectors out there who are much more serious than me, who have many more connections in the hobby, and who have been working for 20 years on it! I mean, if Rich is still "only" at 62 for one player, then I don't stand a chance.
    There was a big time David Justice collector back in the day that I think had 70+ Justice diffractors - that was the highest I ever saw in any one particular collection. I only have 10-15 diffractors of each Rockies player in the set, however I never really aggressively chased them. Pattern 1 diffractors seem to be the most plentiful, yet that could just be from exposure since it's the first pattern.

EDIT - found the Justice guy, looks like he still needs 24 patterns - http://www.justice1of1.com/justice/diffractors.html
    Last edited by corockies; 04-18-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive

Sent from my XT1650 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

corockies
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are my 8 Heltons - 1, 3, 4, 32, 48, 67, 69, 74
    also have 13 Larry Walkers, 12 Vinny Castillas, 6 Dante Bichettes, and 5 Ellis Burks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corockies View Post

Here are my 8 Heltons - 1, 3, 4, 32, 48, 67, 69, 74
    also have 13 Larry Walkers, 12 Vinny Castillas, 6 Dante Bichettes, and 5 Ellis Burks
    Nice team diffractor set!

rinkrat3814
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onionring9 View Post
    Does anyone know of more than 5 copies of any diffractor pattern? I know there are 5 of McGwire pattern 1 (I have 3 and know 2 people that have one as well) so there are at least 5. Just curious if anyone has tracked more than 5 of any or if that's as high as we've gotten.
    Long time ago I tracked 6 of several patterns and 7 of one pattern, cards that I had and checked with just a couple of other people. I've since traded off most of my multi-duplicates, but still have 3 of 22 different patterns -- 1 for my collection and 2 extras.

Rich

rinkrat3814
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corockies View Post
    EDIT - found the Justice guy, looks like he still needs 24 patterns - http://www.justice1of1.com/justice/diffractors.html
    I've traded a fair amount with him. Stu Thomas of Oakville, Ont. He has 66 Justice patterns. I have 34, but there is no overlap. I traded him the patterns I had that he needed. As far as I know he has the largest single player diffractor collection out there. If you have one of the patterns he needs, contact Stu at smt@cogeco.ca. Good guy, easy to trade with.

Rich