Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rabbit Maranville Vintage Under $50 Collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Wow, has it really been over a year since I picked up a vintage Rabbit? This one broke my $50 goal, but I had some mad money to spend and I absolutely love the portrait used on this W575-2 card.

maranvillew575-2.jpg

"The 1922 W575-2 set consists of 40 blank-backed cards measuring 2-1/8” by 3-3/8”. The Kromo Gravue Photo Company of Detroit, Michigan created the set with each card displaying a black-and-white photograph of each player in action or in a portrait style, either holding a bat or in a throwing motion. The white-bordered cards are unnumbered and often called the “autograph on shoulder” series as the player has signed his image along the white uniform background sometimes bearing his position and/or his team name. Key additions to this scarce issuance are Hall of Famers Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth as well as Dave Bancroft, Eddie Collins, Stan Coveleskie (Coveleski)Red Faber, Frank Frisch, Harry Heilmann, Harry Hooper, Rogers Hornsby, Waite Hoyt, George Kelly, Rabbit Maranville, Rube Marquard, Eppa Rixey, Joe Sewell, Geo. Sisler, Tris Speaker and Zach Wheat, among others."

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Amazing! And in really nice condition! How rare are these?

Polo Grounds aren't too tough, and since they were in boxed sets condition is often better than other cards of era. By far Rabbit's easiest RC, others being very rare (Cracker Jack) to extremely rare (Boston Garters, Boston Daily American Newspaper).

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I dig the concept of a money limit. Luckily most of my players don't approach $50 items!

I really don't mind vintage cards with some flaws, so the money limit thing is actually working out for me. Seems like many low-grade Maranville cards are in the $50-$100 range. If I see a card I want in the $50-$80 range, I'll write the seller and show them a link to my collection, and many times they'll come down to my $50 mark. So it's been working in my favor! I try to pick up cards with good eye appeal - no major creases, no writing on them. I've made some exceptions, but overall I like the character of the cards - they look their age and aren't perfect, but they take me back in time and remind me that cards are for enjoying.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I always have the opposite luck. "Oh, you are collecting all Astros autographs but you don't have this one? I'll charge you double because you must really need it."

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Tough one, as a scarce card. 1936 World Wide Gum card (Canadian Goudey). Maranville was signed as manager of the minor league Montreal Royals in October of 1936. I had to sacrifice on quality, and wait it out on eBay for several months before seller agreeing to my price limit.

Oh, and cool news - I acquired the www.RabbitMaranville.com domain name, and will be building a site for old Rabbit!

maranville36WORLDWIDEGUM.jpg

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
That card is awesome. The Royals of course were Jackie's first home in MiLB and Clemente played there as well.

And congrats on the domain name!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online

Latest posts