Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Better investment: Pujols VS JETER

Jeter VS Pujols

• Jeter

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • Pujols

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • To tough to decide

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Ok, so we all know that the term 'investment' is somewhat of a taboo label to use in this hobby (and usually for good reason) but putting that aside for the moment, who do you think is the better investment right now? I am somewhat torn but have come to the conclusion(s) below..

JETER

He is without question one of if not the heaviliest collected player in baseball. His RC cards, and other high end / rare cards command huge prices and as he ticks off HOF players on the 'all time' hits list, he should see some price spikes all the way to the hall. My only concern with him is that once it is all said and done will he really be remembered as an 'all time great'? Will collectors covet his cardstock years/decades after it is all over? I'm not entirely sure of that...

PUJOLS

Also one of the more sought after players in all of baseball with regards to collectables, and his cardstock (including RC cards and high end /rare items) are some of the highest priced in the modern hobby. However, with the team change and a lower than normal production season for him, his cardstock has softened a bit here and there. When it is all said and done for him I think he has a good shot at becoming the best player to have played the game over the last 50 years and may verywell forge a HOF career that places him amongst the top 5 sluggers of all time.

So after considering this, I am leaning towards Pujols being the better investment for long term. This is not to say I believe Jeter will crash in value but I think his longterm collectability my narrow a bit towards Yankee fans (down the road) where as Pujols may verywell obtain the kind of collectability reserved for hobby greats like Mantle, Jordan, and the likes..

So what says you, thinking long term who do you think holds a better investment potential?

Last edited:

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Jeter all day, every day, and FIVE times on Sundays.

Yankee Fandom will never die out as long as there are kids being made.

Pujols is already a fading memory on his current team (Trout anyone?)

Also, i doubt Jeter used steroids or lied about his age. Two things that will always be unknowns about Pujols, imo

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I was just looking at Pujols autos on eBay; is it just me or have his prices really dropped since he left for LAA?

The answer is Jeter, there is a 96 chrome ref on eBay; $90 wtf? Cards are crazy hot and seem to only be going up. Pujols might get there as he nears retirement but it will be tough.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
Jeter, sadly. Yankee. Fan favorite.

Only way Pujols is better is if he breaks the HR record.

I personally like Pujols better but if we are talking future value jeter will be better investment

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for the comments guys, personally I do not see it as clear cut as some, but keep them coming!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Btw, it is also tough to compare 90s card insanity to the 2000s; if Jeter had a mainstream RC auto the price would be insane and dwarf Pujols RCs.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
It definitely would be a more even comparison if Pujols had stayed on the Cards, being on the 'right team' helps an awful lot.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
When Pujols starts getting to milestones like Jeter has then his prices will see the spike just like Jeter. With Jeter still going strong and closing in no 4000 hits, his prices will continue to creep up.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Jeter is in the same collector boat as Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle and Mattingly. Their cards will always command top dollar. Pujols killed his collector base
when he shed the Cards. Pujols isn't even the most collectible guy on his team.

Kevin

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
When Pujols starts getting to milestones like Jeter has then his prices will see the spike just like Jeter. With Jeter still going strong and closing in no 4000 hits, his prices will continue to creep up.

Difference is the fan base, while I agree with you I would assume that collectors will buy Pujols but fewer LAA collectors will buy items depicting him in a Cardinals uniform.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
in the year 2042 i cant picture a man of 70+ years of age telling his 6 year old great-grandson about Albert Pujols

Perhaps no at the moment, but he has a realistic shot to hit 3000/600 and a not so long shot at 3500/700. Couple this with a nice BA 3 MVP awards so far, and a career that is going to gain in highlights and spotlights as the years roll on, then I think it is safe to say that people 25 years from now will be telling there kids about how they say Pujols play just like they do not about Aaron, Mantle, or Clemente.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
completely agree. him leaving the Cards really hurt

This is kinda why I asked about long term. If, and I see no real reason why not, Pujols continues to put up pujols like numbers for the next 3 - 5 years (or longer), will the lul today even matter?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Perhaps no at the moment, but he has a realistic shot to hit 3000/600 and a not so long shot at 3500/700. Couple this with a nice BA 3 MVP awards so far, and a career that is going to gain in highlights and spotlights as the years roll on, then I think it is safe to say that people 25 years from now will be telling there kids about how they say Pujols play just like they do not about Aaron, Mantle, or Clemente.

Some will see him as the guy who left a WS team to take money and a role as the second star on a west coast team.

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
Jeter hands down who cares if he beats Pete Rose or not?

Im not a big new york fan but with him not signing no autograph's on cards will make them rarer. They will shot up if beats Pete rose but in my mind he is a HOF no matter what happens.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
i think that there comes a point where there are more things "to it" then "stats" i think with the internet and such, that "stats" are over analyzed and too much emphasis is placed on them. It's not that they are not important, because they are, but there are so many other things about baseball that get passed down from generation to generation over the years depending on what city you live(d) in, where you grew up, etc.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Some will see him as the guy who left a WS team to take money and a role as the second star on a west coast team.

That may make sense today, but 10 years from now will that same sentance qualify as gospel? Will anyone even care/remember? And finally, do you really thing Trout is a better player / bigger star than Pujols?

Members online