Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The new COMC website - what do you think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I just checked out the new COMC website (you can go to the beta version via checkoutmycards.com) and I've got to say that I'm very, very disappointed.

The first thing I noticed is that there is no longer Beckett pricing without a subscription. I haven't decided how that will affect my buying and selling yet. I see pros and cons.

But what really took me aback was how less aesthetically pleasing the site is now. Smaller fonts, lots of white space, giant price tags,... they've got away from what made their site a pleasure to use. I can't even tell yet what the purpose of the change was...?

Just one opinion. What do you guys think?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Agreed. Doesn't look like they actually changed anything with how the site works, just how it looks.

And It's ugly. Really ugly.

jdsingar

Feb 10, 2011
I am having trouble clicking the links under a card in Google Chrome. I can't make an offer or add to cart through those gray buttons. Never had a problem before

A_Pharis

No pricing without a Beckett sub? *buzzer*
So does that mean no sorting by discount size? It also is going to have a lot more sellers no tgetting offers since I can say having to go look up comparible prices on eBay is almost too much hassle.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
I think the way the site was looked perfect. Easy to navigate. Easy to use.

The new look is boring and actually very much like Beckett Marketplace.

Thankfully I don't buy much any more on COMC. Rarely does Biggio stuff get listed.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I like the idea of no "book price". "Book price", in relation to buying and selling, is entirely meaningless and ridiculous anyways. I still have to go check out the site to see how it looks.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Oh, that's looks extremely tacky now. I am not sure if I have never noticed it before or if because I am not logged in, but I see a ton of advertising on the site now which makes it look and feel even more generic. Hopefully they are just getting insight on the beta and will not upgrade to this version. Just like ebay...why change a good thing??

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I like the idea of no "book price". "Book price", in relation to buying and selling, is entirely meaningless and ridiculous anyways. I still have to go check out the site to see how it looks.

It may have been meaningless, but it still gave you an idea of a suggestive price. Now with that not there anymore, I think it will absolutely kill sales. Could end up being nice on the buying side though as not everyone will take the time to see how much the cards are selling for on ebay.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
It may have been meaningless, but it still gave you an idea of a suggestive price. Now with that not there anymore, I think it will absolutely kill sales. Could end up being nice on the buying side though as not everyone will take the time to see how much the cards are selling for on ebay.

The point of the site is sales, so I don't see change that positively affects buying as a bad thing. Half the XXXX on that site is grossly overpriced because people DO use the out-of-date and out-of-touch "book price" as a start anyways. Maybe now there will be less $1-$5 cards for sale for $15 because the "book price" is $20.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC

As someone who just posted on the COMC Blog just said, "it gives buyers a point of reference." I agree. It also gives sellers a point of reference when pricing their cards. I also think there are many, many times where the book price works in my favor as both a buyer and a seller. I like to use Beckett to my advantage.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
As someone who just posted on the COMC Blog just said, "it gives buyers a point of reference." I agree. It also gives sellers a point of reference when pricing their cards. I also think there are many, many times where the book price works in my favor as both a buyer and a seller. I like to use Beckett to my advantage.

It works both ways. I'm sure now it may be easier to get good deals because some people won't be overpricing their stuff as well.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I checked out the site. It's not bad. I haven't noticed any crazy negative differences at all. Seems almost the same with small tweaks and differences. People just hate change, but this isn't a move backwards. A lateral move maybe, but certainly not backwards.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I like the "book price" options or whatever... I feel like it helps sellers with giving them a benchmark when pricing their cards and how much of a % off to have their cards.... BUT as a sole buyer, I love it because I feel like you avoid this entire "eBay value" game with COMCs. Now people will have to go do all this work and due dillagence to figure out what their cards are worth on eBay? That sucks. Yes it is :twisted: but usually you can get cards at really good prices because "book value" and "eBay value" are usually WAY off from each other... this is all just my own opinion, good thread, will enjoy reading everyone's thougths.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I just checked it out, and am really indifferent to the changes. I don't sell on there, and never use BV when buying, so losing it doesn't really matter to me. The one thing that I thought the site needed, and looks like it still isn't in there, is the ability to filter by card attributes (i.e. serial number, GU, auto, etc.)

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If I could write "WTF" 1.8 MILLION TIMES, I would!

One of the absolute KEY features of the site was book value vs. your selling price.

Say what u want about "bv" but plenty...PLENTY....of people buy when they see a card listed @ 10-20% bv, even half book or more.

And notice that its much harder to find the classified ad link/ section.

Again, thats another very VERY important part of comc to both buyers & sellers (and free easy $ for comc).

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
If I could write "WTF" 1.8 MILLION TIMES, I would!

One of the absolute KEY features of the site was book value vs. your selling price.

Say what u want about "bv" but plenty...PLENTY....of people buy when they see a card listed @ 10-20% bv, even half book or more.

And notice that its much harder to find the classified ad link/ section.

Again, thats another very VERY important part of comc to both buyers & sellers (and free easy $ for comc).

I agree with this...

Members online