Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Remember when your GU cards looked like this?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
It was nice when companies showed you the item which the swatch was cut.

$T2eC16NHJGYE9noohZmvBQf,,Hi)mg~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16RHJG8E9nyfnU,+BQf,cWE,QQ~~60_57.JPG

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Playoff made some nice cards, but those days are over. Back to one color vintage jerseys that look like they were peeled off the player yesterday and endless redemptions.

A_Pharis

Yeah, when I saw the listing I shot it to GC knowing he'd want it. I think it only had 2 bids. Was a great price for that card.
A lot of retired jerseys are from old-timer games or from managing years. It's nice to go back to a time (not many years ago) where GU cards were used in a REAL game by HoFers. Amazing card, George.

Also - if I could go back in time and snag that jersey.. man - look at that inscription.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Yeah Adam helped out a bunch. I did not realize that several of my searches were Fd up with the new eBay searches.

Several steals this month due to the change over.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah Adam helped out a bunch. I did not realize that several of my searches were Fd up with the new eBay searches.

Several steals this month due to the change over.

I thought those changes hadn't gone into effect yet? Uh oh...someone wanna sum up the changes quick? Is it just no longer supporting the mighty *? Can I still use these ()?

Fantastic card George!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I really wonder what would happen if Topps announced that it was done producing GU cards. It has become too cost prohibitive when compared to the value produced.

They could then do like Donruss did when they bought that Ruth jersey. Make a huge announcement about it, prove the provenance, and then insert it as a super chase across a few products. Then repeat this once or twice a year.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
IMO.

A picture of a jersey on the back of a card is about as convincing as a picture of a player signing to verify an autograph.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
IMO.

A picture of a jersey on the back of a card is about as convincing as a picture of a player signing to verify an autograph.

And how convincing is that?

I believe there were issues with the photos as some of the jerseys could be identified as not being game used. I don't know any more though.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
And how convincing is that?

I believe there were issues with the photos as some of the jerseys could be identified as not being game used. I don't know any more though.

I assumed his comment was sarcasm, ie you "trust" the photo of a person signing the "exact" item that you are buying.

Yes there are issues but extremely fake patches can be slowed.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I'm glad the are using Old Timers Jerseys now for cards. It kills me to see museum quality items chopped up and ruined forever.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online