Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOF debate: Billy Wagner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I will quote myself "...a Closer's job is to save games"....Period end of discussion, does it matter how it is done? A K is an out, same as a 4-3 ground ball...the other stats are fluff.

As far as Smith, when he retired he was the all time Saves leader, he should not be penalized because others passed him since....

I'm not saying Lee Smith doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. I'm arguing Billy Wagner does.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If Wagner goes in Franco should too.....Franco not even being on the ballot anymore because of getting less than 5% of the vote does not bode well for Wagner

Again, Franco was no where near as dominant a pitcher as Billy Wagner. WHIP was 1.333 and he as lucky to strike any one out when he pitched.

I understand you think that saves is the only important stat for a closer (I think you're wrong, but you seem fixated on that notion). But the writers won't just look at the saves when it comes to Billy Wagner.

It might take 10-15 years, but I think Billy Wagner will get in.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
He was dominant at what he did for a long time. He was imposing and batters feared him. I would say yes, based on those criteria. Plus, he was a nice guy when I met him.

wagner.jpg

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I think there are few who should get in ahead of him. lee smith being one. some similar john franco sparky lyle all very good but not hof imo.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
after '10 why did he not pitch again??

Just wanted to retire. Many teams tried to persuade him but he had no desire to play. He probably could've pitched another 2-3 years based off his last year in Atlanta.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
He is an intriguing candidate for sure. The Hall's record of putting in relievers is spotty with no obvious criteria unlike other positions(300 wins, 500 HR's etc). What really impresses me about him is that he was a natural right hander.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I think Billy Wagner makes it. Definitely not first or second ballot, but he could sneak in in a slow year without any good candidates. He was far more dominant than most know. If he would have pitched 97 more innings in his career, he would hold the record for strikeouts per-9 innings. The thing I think of when I think of Wagner is sheer dominance. Although Smith and Franco have more saves, they weren't nearly as dominant as Wagner was. He's easily a top-6 all-time relief pitcher, right up there with Mo, Hoffman, Eck, Gossage and Sutter... and his WHIP is second only to Mo.

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think Billy Wagner makes it. Definitely not first or second ballot, but he could sneak in in a slow year without any good candidates. He was far more dominant than most know. If he would have pitched 97 more innings in his career, he would hold the record for strikeouts per-9 innings. The thing I think of when I think of Wagner is sheer dominance. Although Smith and Franco have more saves, they weren't nearly as dominant as Wagner was. He's easily a top-6 all-time relief pitcher, right up there with Mo, Hoffman, Eck, Gossage and Sutter... and his WHIP is second only to Mo.

Completely agree with everything you said. I think he gets in on a slow year a la Sutter and Goose.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
A knock against Wagner is that Rivera's WAR was about TWICE that of Wagner's after 16 seasons. Not that WAR is everything, but its interesting nonetheless.

Members online

Latest posts