Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A crazy situation that happened in my shop today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
A crazy situation happened to my in my shop today and im not exactly sure what to do next or really how to feel about it… A little back story- I have a customer who is 15 years old and has been coming to my shop for about 4 years. He is kind of a socially awkward kid who is very much into sports. He has become friendly with other regular customers of mine and comes into my store very often to talk cards and sports with me and whoever else is in there at the time. He lives around the corner form my shop so its pretty easy for him to come in as often as he wants. While he can be very annoying at times, I have always taken the time to be nice to him and try to get him on the right track of “collecting” instead of ripping. Customers have given him free cards at various times and he was always allowed to be involved in various events even if he didn’t have enough money to participate. There was also a point in time where kids from school were picking on him on his way home from school and I would allow him to come into my store so he could call his parents to come pick him up.
About 6 months ago, he came in with his dad and his dad told me that he was caught stealing money from his parents at that he would not be able to come into my store for a long time. I agreed that I thought it was a good idea for him to take a break because he was becoming a little too into collecting cards. About 4 months later (2 Months ago) he stops into my store with $5 and wanted to buy a ack of the new football cards so he could possible get some of the new rookies. I asked him if it was ok with his dad, and he said yes, his dad gave him the $5. He came in a few days later with another $5 to buy another pack and again I asked him if it was ok and again he told me it was fine. So since then he has been coming in on a pretty regular basis buying packs here and there and hanging out in the store a lot. Its winter time and there isn’t much else to do for a kid that age, especially one who doesn’t have all that many friends… Fast forward to last week, I was out of the store and my dad was watching it for me. I was in the next day and the kid came in showing me a buster posey auto card he pulled from a box that he “bought” from my store the day before. I said that it was cool, but it got me thinking a bit. My dad didn’t tell me that this kid had spent $75 on a box when he was running down the sales, and in fact remembered that he only had $5 plus a dollar in change to buy a pack and a pack of soft sleeves. So I put two and two together and realize that the kid stole the box. I then checked the kid’s youtube account and see that he also broke another box and uploaded it on Friday.
Today after school he came into my store and I confronted him about stealing the cards. He admitted to it and he told me that he had taken 4 boxes of cards plus 2 $100 cards from one of my other boxes. In all it was about $500 worth of cards he stole from me. I told him that I would not call the cops but that he needed to tell his dad what he did, bring all of his cards back to my store and bring his dad in to talk to me about it and figure out what we are going to do. About 2 hours later his dad comes into my store and I can see he is steaming. He starts screaming at me that I am the cause of his son’s problems and that he never game me the permission to let his son back into my store. He even went has far as to say that he feels like he should knock me the F*ck out for helping cause his sons problems and that it is because of my store that his son is obsessed with cards. I try to explain to him that I have done everything in my power to keep his son socializing with other sports fans and collectors while trying to keep him on a healthy path of collecting. I also was trying to explan to him that it wasn’t just my store he gets his cards from, but also that he buys them on ebay through youtube etc. The dad wants nothing of it and tells me that he might seek legal action against me and that he might not pay anything back to me from what was stolen because it is my fault. So he leaves and says he will call me tomorrow with what he decides… So my question, am I in the wrong? Should I have banned the kid from my store and never let him return? Am I the cause of this kid’s obsession or would he have found a way to buy cards elsewhere? What would you do if you were me?

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
#1 I would call the cops tomorrow, first thing in the morning and file a report. Once the kid starts stealing at that level it is not going to end up anywhere good. The dad's threats included you want to be out ahead of the game before daddy and son say you touched him or some bs.

#2 If the kid came back after a month or two of not being around and said dad said it was ok, it is not your responsibility to call the parents.

#3 I would have banned him when he kept coming in with $5 and asked him to come in with an adult.

#4 This kid seems to have other issues and dad seems to have issues as well.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
If you think any of this is your fault, you're crazy. Before you involve any authorities, see if Dad returns/pays for stuff. If not, then contact the police.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
#1 I would call the cops tomorrow, first thing in the morning and file a report. Once the kid starts stealing at that level it is not going to end up anywhere good. The dad's threats included you want to be out ahead of the game before daddy and son say you touched him or some bs.

#2 If the kid came back after a month or two of not being around and said dad said it was ok, it is not your responsibility to call the parents.

#3 I would have banned him when he kept coming in with $5 and asked him to come in with an adult.

Agree, call the cops and ban the kid from the store. If the dad has issues, let the cops deal with him.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The dad is clearly mad that he has been a crappy father and seems to be raising his kid wrong (or not really raising him at all). The seems like classic misplaced anger on the father's part. He can't blow up at the kid, since he's probably feeling guilty as hell.

I bet 10 bucks he calls tomorrow and apologizes (he F'in' well should anyway). But if not, it's not like there is anything the dad can do. You are the one who has something over him and his family. If the dad wants to get the cops involved, it'll be ruin for him, not you. You seem like a nice guy who just tried to do the right thing.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Definitely call the cops first thing in the morning and explain in great detail (like you have done here) exactly what has transpired over the past several months. You are calling the cops b/c the kid stole over $500 worth of merchandise from you and the dad threatened to sue you instead of taking care of it himself. What a crazy parent.

Do not sit on this, as ljw said above, it gives them time to be idiots and throw out more lies.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

I agree with this. Sorry about this. Def follow #1 here.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Absolutely ban the kid and his father. Tell the police. File a report. Cover your ass.

It's an unfortunate situation but you protect your livelyhood in this situation. You probably did the "right" thing with the kid but it's out of your hands now. This situation has escalated to far.

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts so far! I am glad to hear that I am not crazy for thinking that I didn't do anything wrong... I actually was more sad for the kid then mad at him today when I confronted him, especially when he broke down crying when I told him that he had to tell his dad and bring him in. It was almost like it was going to be taking away the last thing that kept him happy in his life....

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
You went out of your way to handle the situation fairly and this is how this guy responded.

Call the cops for sure, he blew the opportunity to put this to bed without grief.

BallCard_Blog

Jan 24, 2013
There is no way in hell that it is your fault. I would say go easy on him if it was an eight year old that swiped a pack or two, but a 15 year old is well old enough to know that stealing $500 worth of product is unacceptable. If I were you, I would definitely call the police tomorrow. Ban the kid from your shop for at least a year.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I would do anything I could to make his life miserable.

What a clown.

This is horrible advice, Chris. The father is obviously abusive and a lousy parent at that. If authorities are involved, and "anything" is done to "make his life miserable", the father will become more abusive and absolutely destroy the kid. I agree the kid should suffer, but living with that father is punishment enough. This is a kid who seems like he has the reasons to turn to drugs or kill himself. You're only making things worse by "making his life miserable". Dad will likely come to his senses. If not, then I agree the OP shouldn't bear the brunt of the loss, but give the dad a day to put things into perspective.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
This is horrible advice, Chris. The father is obviously abusive and a lousy parent at that. If authorities are involved, and "anything" is done to "make his life miserable", the father will become more abusive and absolutely destroy the kid. I agree the kid should suffer, but living with that father is punishment enough. This is a kid who seems like he has the reasons to turn to drugs or kill himself. You're only making things worse by "making his life miserable". Dad will likely come to his senses. If not, then I agree the OP shouldn't bear the brunt of the loss, but give the dad a day to put things into perspective.

Im not responsible for that situation though. I can only control what is in front of me.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
What a XXXX knob. He failed as a parent and it's YOUR fault?

Nothing else to say but what has already been said.

Not your fault at all and you aren't to blame for that piss-poor excuse of a father.

Maybe if he was spending time with his son coming to the shop instead of whatever it may be that he is doing, then there wouldn't have been a problem.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
What a XXXX knob. He failed as a parent and it's YOUR fault?

Nothing else to say but what has already been said.

Not your fault at all and you aren't to blame for that piss-poor excuse of a father.

Maybe if he was spending time with his son coming to the shop instead of whatever it may be that he is doing, then there wouldn't have been a problem.

exactly!

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
This guy is basically accusing you of not raising his son correctly... what a clown. You have 0% culpability here and 1000000000% should involve the police pending a reasonable solution offered by the father (which it doesn't sound like you should expect).

Members online

Latest posts