Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1998 leaf rookies and stars baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
Does anyone remember this set? I was going thru my stuff and came upon a whole bunch of it. Nice inserts clean cards. Wonder why it has next no value now?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The rookies that drive that set all kinda faded (Glaus etc).

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
No canseco, looking for one. I am about a third of the way to the longevity set. I have over 500 true blues missing three for the complete set

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Complete sets are tough to find still and I bet it gets some love at some point. I liked the first donruss preferred set with the Platinum and Golds and diecuts.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Complete sets are tough to find still and I bet it gets some love at some point. I liked the first donruss preferred set with the Platinum and Golds and diecuts.

I don't really see the set getting much love (other than individual rare cards). To me it's a pretty good lesson about the long term value of prospect-heavy sets. In most cases the value of the set as a whole will increase as players become top prospects and start entering the Majors, but over time just a few (if any) remain popular enough to garner significant attention, and prices almost inevitably drop, except in the rare case where the few players that shine are so good they lift the set, or the really rare occurrence where one draft (or one set) has a large number of successful players.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Wow, a third of the way to the Longevity set--that's terrific! I think boxes of this stuff sell for a pretty penny.

Are you working towards completing the set? if not, and the longevity cards are available, I'm still looking for Pedro Martinez #16 and Mike Piazza #30 and #164 TLU.

Agree with everyone else that they are tough cards to find. In the last couple years the only Piazza Longevity cards I have seen were one Power Tools and four or five Marlins cards (#312). None of the others though...

No canseco, looking for one. I am about a third of the way to the longevity set. I have over 500 true blues missing three for the complete set

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
I overpaid for this two way back then but I'm glad I got them..
1998LeafRookiesampStars188Longevity.jpg

1998LeafRookiesampStars28Longevity.jpg

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
GREAT product. One of my favorites.

Remember that the longevity 1/50 are actually 1/1 (foil fronts). Anyone have scans of those?

I'm looking for a glaus SP base, and any longevity, if anyone has extras.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I have a Larry Walker Longevity that I pulled from a box way back when and haven't been able to sell or trade ever since.

Remember how hot the JD Drew was? Nothing about getting him on a card was easy. First he didn't want to play for the Phils and went back into the draft. Then when he was drafted he wouldn't sign with Topps. Then he finally got put on this Leaf card and it was a SP. $175 was the high-water mark for this card as I recall, and he didn't really justify it (not that it was his job to). At least if you got that card you had nice shots of his and McGwire's cups.
dbf90ff6-170e-479e-acc9-108de86ec716.jpg

studioclint

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
i pulled the the ortiz longevity back in 1998 I sold it couple years back for a decent amount.

[Q

UOTE=beefycheddar;1937763]
DavidOrtiz1998CrusadeRedBGS95.jpg

My favorite Crusade from that set.[/QUOTE]

Members online

Latest posts