Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If Berkman has a strong season

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
How could he not be a considered a legitimate HOF candidate?
Career OPS+ of 146.
Career OBP of .409.
Career WAR of 52.5.

And the obligatory "no ties to PEDs".
Sure he doesn't have the career type numbers, but he is nearing 400 HRs.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
.296/.409/.545 is pretty solid

only guys that have gone 3/4/5 in their career and not gone in I believe are Edgar Martinez and Shoeless Joe. . (not counting just-retired players like Chipper Jones who is in for sure)

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
The percentages and advanced metrics are strong but the counting numbers aren't there. Maybe if he had combined those numbers with good defense he might have a chance but I believe he will be in the Hall of Very Good and the Astros HOF.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
I'm 100% for Martinez to be in. Screw the DH thing, he was an amazing offensive player.

yeah, considering he is a better version of Jeter at the plate + Jeter has a negative career dWAR, it seems like an easy one to me.

as for Berkman he would have lead a lot more categories if not playing in the brutal NL 00-05 stretch in his 20s... Bonds raided all of those years :shock:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
The DH holds no argument considering he has only played like 1/2 season combined in the AL thus far between the Yankees, Rangers, and interleague.

That being said, he's still a long shot. He's had historic moments in playoff history and MVP type seasons...but the career #'s just aren't there. He would need about 3 or 4 2011-type seasons to put him in and this year might be his last.

Right now, he's a Kirk Gibson type player (in terms of HOF caliber).....if he miraculously puts up 2011 numbers in the next 3 years....he could squeak in like Jim Rice.

Members online