Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"very pleasing" auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
How on God's green earth did this card get a "9" on auto? According to BGS, a "9" on auto must be:

1. very pleasing
2. show "slight imperfections" that "barely detract" from the auto
3. NO FADING

Does this card meet such criteria?

brentz blue auto.JPG

BGS missed their own mark by 3 grades. How could that happen? The "best grading company in the world" could so such a thing? I once suggested a card looked pristine, and it did look pristine, but came back a 9.5, and people here were ready to commit acts of terror against me. But when BGS misses the mark by their own stated criteria not by just .5 a grade, but THREE full grades, nobody says a word.

From beckett.com:

[h=2]Autograph Grading Scale (5 through 10):[/h]10 - A beautiful, boldly signed autograph that appears nearly perfect to the naked eye. Under normal viewing, it looks like an aesthetically- pleasing autograph.
9 - This is a signature that is also very pleasing, but has slight imperfections that barely detract from the autograph. Very light bubbling or micro scratching is allowable, but no yellowing, fading, or smearing. Positioning should be nearly perfect - with just the very tips of a letter or two cut off or hidden.
8 - At this level, some flaws begin to stand out slightly. Signature is still solid and pleasing, but might be somewhat bubbled throughout, or have areas of minor scuffing/scratching that detracts from the aesthetic beauty of the signature. Only lightly visible yellowing or fading or smearing is allowed. A cut signature may only have 10% of the signature hidden (or missing, when referring to a sticker autograph). Only a very small tip of the signature may run off or bleed onto the edge.
7 - Flaws are evident, including heavy bubbling throughout, noticeable scratching, minor but noticeable yellowing or fading, small but obvious portions of smeared ink. Up to 20% of a cut autograph may be hidden, or 20% of a sticker auto may be missing. A portion of the signature may run off the card or may bleed onto the edge.
6 - Heavy flaws are easily visible and highly distracting, including bubbling to the point of portions of the autograph being essentially invisible, extremely distracting scratching, yellowing or fading, or significantly smeared ink on multiple areas of the autograph. Up to 35% of a cut autograph/sticker may be hidden/missing. Several letters of the signature may run off the card, bleeding onto the edge or opposite side of the card.
5 - Very heavy flaws that highly distract from the autograph, including portions of the autograph being completely removed or invisible, catastrophic scratching throughout the entire autograph, extremely heavy yellowing, massive fading of the entire signature, smeared ink throughoutthe entire autograph. Over 50% of a cut autograph/sticker may be hidden/missing.

Last edited:

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
And the auto goes outside of the "box" for the auto. I really like it personally.

I'm glad you "really like it." It fails to be a 9, however. Not even close.

This "9" looks 10x nicer and better than many "10" grades I've seen for this same card:

taveras 10 9 auto c.jpg

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Did you send it in for grading?

If it's from a seller on EBAY, did you ever think he had it in or near a window and it started to fade.. It might have been a 9 when it was graded.. now that it's fading, he's trying to sell it..

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'm not convinced the slabbing has anything to do with the fading.

The slab itself has nothing to do with the fading, it's the fact that they charge extra to grade the autograph yet it can easily fade/change over time.

Not to mention of course that it's even more subjective and inconsistent than the card grade itself.

A "10" autograph can fade to oblivion.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I'm glad you "really like it." It fails to be a 9, however. Not even close.

This "9" looks 10x nicer and better than many "10" grades I've seen for this same card:

View attachment 16324

Wow that is one of the better Taveras autos I've seen. Can't believe it got a 9. What upsets me is the inconsistency in auto grading. I can't believe this Orange Ref Taveras received an auto grade of 10. There are 3 sections of signature that are not bold and streaky.

2012 Bowman Chrome Oscar Taveras RC Orange Ref Auto BGS9 5 AUTO10 RARE | eBay

Allen

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I'd say the 10/9 Oscar was because the auto went outside the frame. It's the Carlos Santana rule of 2009 Chrome.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Did you send it in for grading?

If it's from a seller on EBAY, did you ever think he had it in or near a window and it started to fade.. It might have been a 9 when it was graded.. now that it's fading, he's trying to sell it..

Owner wrote to me on the card and said:

"The auto is the same as when it was sent in to BGS. It is definitely much "lighter" at the end of his signature but visible."

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Shocking that you're posting another anti-BGS thread full of incorrect information. The box where the autograph is supposed to go has nothing, zero, zilch to do with the auto grade. The placement on the card only matters if it runs off the card, or in the case of sticker autos, runs off the sticker. Otherwise the auto can be anywhere on the card.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Shocking that you're posting another anti-BGS thread full of incorrect information. The box where the autograph is supposed to go has nothing, zero, zilch to do with the auto grade. The placement on the card only matters if it runs off the card, or in the case of sticker autos, runs off the sticker. Otherwise the auto can be anywhere on the card.

You should be telling this rant to jbhofmann. If you read the thread you'd see he is the one who outlined this "rule" for all of us. Wasn't me, your highness.

How 'bout that blue Brentz auto? Looks mint, right?

Also, explain the "9" on the ref auto of Taveras I posted here. You seem to know everything. I'm all ears.

Last edited:

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
He's incorrect on that too but he doesn't beat us down every couple months spewing his personal BGS bias. I'm not defending the auto grade, I wouldn't have given the Brentz a 9, it's just hard to take you seriously with the bizarre, inaccurate garbage you put on this board.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
He's incorrect on that too but he doesn't beat us down every couple months spewing his personal BGS bias. I'm not defending the auto grade, I wouldn't have given the Brentz a 9, it's just hard to take you seriously with the bizarre, inaccurate garbage you put on this board.[/QUOTE]

Really? Tell me one piece of "bizarre inaccurate garbage" I have posted here. Last thing I posted was the perfect gold ref I sent in and saw come back mangled with zero accountability by the company for damaging it. I posted the truth. Believe what you want and say what you want. I know what I said is true. Moreoever, the manager was unable to tell me how he knew the company was not responsible.

Seems you're a bit upset because there is virtually no consistency in the auto grading, never mind the sub-grades, as has been demonstrated repeatedly by various members here throughout the years.

Just curious: how many cards does the company expect a grader to grade in one hour? What's the general expectation? Thanks a lot.

mint auto vs mint auto-- do you see consistency? should a high-paying customer have valid reservations about the company's ability to grade consistently when seeing this sort of thing, esp in light of your explanation of the auto grade process?

taveras 10 9 auto c.jpg

brentz blue auto.JPG

Generally speaking, customers paying exorbitant rates for inconsistent 3rd-party opinions should consider how valid those 3rd party opinions really are. Don't you agree?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.