Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh, just another $511 Will Clark card serially numbered to 55 . . . WOW!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
Gotta complete those rainbows!

*Clark collector should have waited till the last few seconds - looks like it cost him a couple hundred bucks.

Last edited:

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Both bidders came in at the end, right after one another. I honestly expected the card to go for around $125 when it got listed though. Congrats to the seller. I'm sure it made his evening.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Damn that's crazy. It was probably a battle of set collectors versus player collectors.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Unfortunately for the set collector, that's definitely the case. Fellow Clark fan won it. Damn, if I knew for certain I could replace mine later on for less, those type of sell prices make me ponder selling mine.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It's absolutely crazy, even Jason's bid was on a overpay side of things but he's trying to fill in lately. But $511, is crazy. M wants it he gets it.

Ryan

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Man, I wish I had the disposable cash that Mike has. Great win for the seller and Mike gets to add one more rare Clark to his collection.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'll never understand why a guy like Will Clark commands this kind of money. No offense, he was a hell of a player. But just like Juan Gonzalez, I can't fathom people spending this kind of money. Maybe that's why I have lost out on certain Bagwells and I hardly even collect Stackhouse anymore. I'll pay based on the type of player they were. I don't pay Griffey or Ripken money for Bagwell and I'll never pay the kind of money Stackhouse collectors seem to wish to pay.

All I can say is I respect the dedication it must take to stay the course with players of this caliber commanding these prices.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'll never understand why a guy like Will Clark commands this kind of money. No offense, he was a hell of a player. But just like Juan Gonzalez, I can't fathom people spending this kind of money. Maybe that's why I have lost out on certain Bagwells and I hardly even collect Stackhouse anymore. I'll pay based on the type of player they were. I don't pay Griffey or Ripken money for Bagwell and I'll never pay the kind of money Stackhouse collectors seem to wish to pay.

All I can say is I respect the dedication it must take to stay the course with players of this caliber commanding these prices.

Science and physics can't help explain a player collector...

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009

Most of the real craziness began 2 or 3 years ago. Luckily for me, I was able to acquire most of these type of cards way before the big spike. But it can be frustrating and tough to stay dedicated, especially when a card hits I still need. Most of the time I just get to bookmark and watch the fireworks. 2001 to 2003 era was the best time for me though. Most of the long time Will Clark collectors had stopped and new ones hadn't entered into the market.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
When items go for 3-5 times what even strong Clark collectors see they should go for, these prices may be the realized value but I wouldn't say they are true collector value. Yes the majority of collectors have overpaid on items at one point or another but the range of offer paying usually isn't at the rate some of these items go for. You take those 2 snipes out and then the market sets itself at a more reasonable rate. It becomes, as Nolan said, frustrating when missing items pop, but not going to sacrifice that much and be the last guy holding it at a crazy price. To each their own with their $ though.

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
When items go for 3-5 times what even strong Clark collectors see they should go for, these prices may be the realized value but I wouldn't say they are true collector value. Yes the majority of collectors have overpaid on items at one point or another but the range of offer paying usually isn't at the rate some of these items go for. You take those 2 snipes out and then the market sets itself at a more reasonable rate. It becomes, as Nolan said, frustrating when missing items pop, but not going to sacrifice that much and be the last guy holding it at a crazy price. To each their own with their $ though.

Ryan

I've overpaid in the past, no doubt. It's something you have to do. But when first starting out, it's why I chose Bagwell among a lot of other reasons. I grew up watching Frank Thomas and Griffey. I also enjoyed A-Rod. But I wasn't going to pay crazy money for every nice card I wanted. First of all I'd go broke but secondly, even I have my limits as to what I'll pay for a piece of cardboard. I'm all for pumping money into my collection. But if I sat back and looked at my player collection and figured I had spent several grand and had done it on only 15-20 cards, and the road would get no easier, I'd have to stop and reevaluate my goals. If I was super rich it wouldn't be an issue. I'm not so it is.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Agreed, me as well. Any big time player collector has to go "all in" a few times. Unfortunately, for Clark collector's, it's the norm rather than the exception. I try to pick and choose my battles, that's my only real option. I won the 5x7 DK Super for $600 plus (with some competition from another fellow Clark collector), and at the time, I considered it a big time bid. Now, the last 2 have sold for $1800, so I guess what I once considered strong bids are weak :(

Collecting Clark has been a challenge the past few years and I've noticed a lot of big bidders drop off or stop collecting, but it's been something I've done since 1989, so it's pretty hard to stop. When Ryan and I were competing with each other in 1998 to 2000, Clark cards were milestone cards if they reached $100

Members online