Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tom Ricketts threatening to move Chicago Cubs out of Wrigley Field.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Didn't see this posted anywhere.

Apparently the Cubs ownership is threatening to move the team to a new ballpark if they aren't given what they want.

Cubs fans, what are your thoughts?

Do you think a jumbo tron in left field would be a good idea?

I was told on FaceBook that the rooftop owners have a deal in place with the Cubs for the foreseeable future, and the new ownership wants out of it to make the new board.

This really interests me. You guys think he's bluffing?

Cubs owner threatens to move team out of Wrigley - CBS News

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Not a Cubs fan but do live in the Chicagoland area. Moving the Cubs would be the greatest thing for this team but it isn't going to happen. I think a lot of Cubs fans are starting to come around to this idea. They have several suburbs offering the moon if they'll just move.

A great new park with all the modern amenities, not to mention parking...could be great.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I don't see why they couldn't just build pretty much a replica of Wrigley, but updated with all the modern technology and no obstructed views. They could build it on the exact same spot if need be. They could play a season ar US Cellular.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The deal is going to get done. The left-field jumbotron will make lots of fans happy. I personally prefer the current aesthetics of Wrigley and would like to see them keep it the same while putting in new bathrooms, re-doing the concourses, and giving the team a nice new clubhouse and BP cages. I understand, however, that baseball is a business and the jumbotron is going to happen.

Ricketts is simply negotiating through the press. The Cubs have no more reason to leave Wrigley than the Red Sox have to leave Fenway. The Cubs draw great attendance even when they stink, so the ballpark is hardly keeping people away.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
The jumbotron isn't the worst thing they could do but moving from Wrigley would be a shame.
If the Red Sox can upgrade Fenway no reason the cubs couldn't do the same to Wrigley.
I think the parks that are new but built with a vintage feel are much better than the spaceships like the Marlins new stadium.

The Ricketts where on Undercover Boss a few years back thought they would be good owners for the Cubs but I question some of the things I have read on them.
But they made great decisions to hire Theo and company and I am sure they will find a way to stay in Wrigley. Somebody needs to build a multi story garage and buy a couple of buses to bring fans into the stadium.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This is really interesting. I'm not a Cubs fan or live in Chicago but am a baseball fan and have been to that park a few times just for fun and to see the historic venue.

I love how it's currently laid out but then again, it's 2013 and you need to get it upgraded I guess and generating revenue is going to be hard going forward without a jumbotron, etc. IMO.

As for the "businesses" around the stadium, that's just funny. Like they b!tch about it blocking their view! LOL! Sorry but I can only laugh... you took the risk of making a "business" which was completely dependent upon the stadium and allowing you to peek into their games, etc. Sorry but that was a stupid move and you'll pay eventually...

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
In other news, can someone fill me (us) in or post an article or something which explains the relationship and/or contract these "businesses" around the stadium have with the Cubs? I heard there was some sort of agreement and the link in the OP says there is a profit sharing of 17%?!

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I went to Wrigley last year for the first time and nothing needs to change. The atmosphere was awesome and no new park can duplicate that. I go to Petco a lot and it is a very nice park w all the new amenities but at the end of the day, we're going to the park to watch baseball. I would take an Old Style and a hot dog at Wrigley than a craft beer and a gourmet burger at Petco any day.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I went to Wrigley last year for the first time and nothing needs to change. The atmosphere was awesome and no new park can duplicate that. I go to Petco a lot and it is a very nice park w all the new amenities but at the end of the day, we're going to the park to watch baseball. I would take an Old Style and a hot dog at Wrigley than a craft beer and a gourmet burger at Petco any day.

I dislike the Red Sox and the Cubs, but I can't lie that being in the same place the likes of Babe Ruth played at isn't an awesome thing.

Members online

Latest posts