Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Little eBay Rant on me selling "Junk" - UPDATED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
Sold a card about 10 days ago that I received in one of Andrews breaks. Card was in perfect shape when he sent it to me, and also when I sent it to the buyer. If was damaged in any way, I wouldn't have sold it. Last nite I get an email from the buyer stating that 3 of the 4 corners were damaged to the point you could see/feel it when you run your fingers across them and the wanted a refund. I usually do not offer refunds (unless asked). I asked the buyer to send me a scan of the card so I can see the damage, and I would refund once I received the card. Get another email from him stating that I was accusing him of being a scammer etc, and that he was trying to be polite, but would now open a case since i was being "nasty" and that I sell junk. Told him I wasn't being nasty just wanted to see the damage. I've been selling since 1998 and this is the 2nd time I remember something like this happening (1st time guy had buyers remorse after paying about $30 more that what the card usually goes for). I refunded the money just now, and if he sends the card back great, if not, then I guess I chalk it up as the cost of doing business. I'm sure he'll drop a negative (if he can), and it'll be my 1st neg in about 7 years.

Just had to get this off my chest.

Last edited:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I dont understand why sellers yield to the demands of the buyer without so much going through proper channels and then complain how bad ebay has gotten. Every time this is the approach, it makes it easier for buyers/scammers to keep doing it.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I would have told him to send the card back and then he would get a refund..

More then likely, the dipXXXX will bend the corners and then send it back..

Good luck,

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
The number of awful buyers on ebay now is astounding. I've had to file 22 non-paying bidder cases in the last 9 days. Yes, 22 in 9 days and some of the non-payers have over 2000 feedback.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
A retail store would not give you a refund until you returned the item first. They wouldn't give you the refund and say just bring the item back whenever you can.

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
The number of awful buyers on ebay now is astounding. I've had to file 22 non-paying bidder cases in the last 9 days. Yes, 22 in 9 days and some of the non-payers have over 2000 feedback.

This guy had over 2K feedbacks as well. You would think between Andrew and I, one of us would have noticed that the corners were jacked up.

WaxPax

Just curious if it was a card that could have been switched out... I had a buyer do a switcher-roo and returned completely different cards (dinged corners) than the ones I sent which were in great condition. Basically he got a free upgrade on his stuff...

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
Just curious if it was a card that could have been switched out... I had a buyer do a switcher-roo and returned completely different cards (dinged corners) than the ones I sent which were in great condition. Basically he got a free upgrade on his stuff...

Yep, no serial number etc. That's why I wanted a scan to check the auto etc. But he said it wouldn't make a difference, blah, blah. It was a $35 sale. I'm just over the whole situation, eBay would side with him since he is the buyer no matter what.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Yep, no serial number etc. That's why I wanted a scan to check the auto etc. But he said it wouldn't make a difference, blah, blah. It was a $35 sale. I'm just over the whole situation, eBay would side with him since he is the buyer no matter what.

Thats not true. They would never force you to give the money back if the item went un-returned. They might have in the past, but I had a situation like this happen to me last year and they sided with me as the seller.

They have gotten slightly better with these issues over the past 3 months. It is a mistake to yield to the buyer and assume eBay is going to screw you.

In my situation, it was a Justin Blackmon leaf refractor auto. Guy paid way over the going rate for the auto. Card was mint and well protected (in a sleeve and topload, then shipped in between two toploads, taped and secured, sent in bubble mailer) and the buyer pulled this crap the second he got it. Wanted a partial refund because the card was bent in half. If my card was bent in half id want more than a partial refund!

Asked him what he wanted as a refund. He wanted half (which was what market was on eBay). Told him I would gladly refund ALL his money if he sent the card back at my expense. Never heard from him again. He did open a case but it was closed by eBay two days later.

Sounds like you took the standard line that eBay wasn't going to help you and went with that. Most times, eBay makes them prove that the item is somehow different from the condition advertised before they issue a refund. Most scammers are too lazy to do this.....

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
Well got my card back in the mail today, and it looks like I got the same card i sent him, but for the life of me I can't find where "Three of the four corners have been dinged to the point that they are easily noticeable when running a finger along the surface." Maybe I am just blind or he has a 6th sense or something. Either way, here is the link to the auction Michael Wacha 2012 Bowman Chrome Refractor Auto Autograph Cardinals | eBay

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Well got my card back in the mail today, and it looks like I got the same card i sent him, but for the life of me I can't find where "Three of the four corners have been dinged to the point that they are easily noticeable when running a finger along the surface." Maybe I am just blind or he has a 6th sense or something. Either way, here is the link to the auction Michael Wacha 2012 Bowman Chrome Refractor Auto Autograph Cardinals | eBay

Probably just a case of buyer's remorse and he was "courteous" enough to send it back unharmed. Pretty much best case scenario for you b/c you can resell it. Sucks but it's better than no card or damaged card.

Members online