Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

============ The Morning Thread ===========

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Good morning. I echo everyone's prayers and wishes that Joe recovers speedily from his heart attack and promptly returns to full health.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I'd love to see some threads where people buy wax and are really happy with what they get, rather than immediately wondering if they can get a nice ROI.

Just thinking out loud, not prompted by anything specific. Just a jog down memory lane when I used to open wax and was just happy with whatever I got. When the hobby was more collector based and getting a base card/insert of your favorite player made your day.

Does anyone else get excited for mail days where the envelope has a card worth about a dollar, but brings you back to the reason you love the hobby?

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
I'd love to see some threads where people buy wax and are really happy with what they get, rather than immediately wondering if they can get a nice ROI.

Just thinking out loud, not prompted by anything specific. Just a jog down memory lane when I used to open wax and was just happy with whatever I got. When the hobby was more collector based and getting a base card/insert of your favorite player made your day.

Does anyone else get excited for mail days where the envelope has a card worth about a dollar, but brings you back to the reason you love the hobby?

I assume I'd come out well ahead if I sold any of these lucky pulls (all either pulled from packs by me or in a group break), but I'm much happier to keep them:

These certainly wouldn't fetch what I paid for the box, but I like the 'return' I got by getting them into my collection:

FrostyCollects

Sep 28, 2011
Michigan

I miss having that type of excitement, too. :(

Loved busting 80s Topps/Fleer/Donruss wax and putting together those larger sets. Used to make trades with neighbor friends to further the set progress. Good times.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I've never thrown out a base card, unless it was damaged out of the pack. I love reading card backs. When I open a wax box, I put the guys I consider stars and semi-stars into individual penny sleeves. I busted a $20 box of 1996 Topps Laser last month and got so much more enjoyment out of it and the funky laser die-cuts than I would out of a $20 blaster of new stuff, because I pulled names like Shawon Dunston, Rey Ordonez, Jay Bell and Will Clark - guys I strongly remember watching 20 years ago.

Regarding my new Vlad Guerrero 90's insert obsession - found a guy with 77 of the 90 different 1998 Tek patterns and 6 diffractors of Vladdie! Hoping to seal a deal today for them all.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
:eek: I just saw the messages about Joe :-| Players are with ya Joe, Get well soon. I know he at one time was trying to stay on the treadmill. The crazy part is when he said something about hit foot swelling up I thought maybe is was a sign of that coming, I should have message him and said something but he seemed like he had a handle on things. Joe is good people and hope everything is ok. Just terrible news!

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
:eek: I just saw the messages about Joe :-| Players are with ya Joe, Get well soon. I know he at one time was trying to stay on the treadmill. The crazy part is when he said something about hit foot swelling up I thought maybe is was a sign of that coming, I should have message him and said something but he seemed like he had a handle on things. Joe is good people and hope everything is ok. Just terrible news!

I just seen that was well have have sent him a text. As for the treadmill he was doing it and then the foot issue came and he seemed to have been slowed by that. And then he got his job and was busy as hell from that and maybe did not have time to continue his routine. But now he has to take up some kind of exercise program and change his eating habits too.

Speedy recovery Joe. I was hoping you guys could come out in mid July for my summer party.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I've never thrown out a base card, unless it was damaged out of the pack. I love reading card backs. When I open a wax box, I put the guys I consider stars and semi-stars into individual penny sleeves. I busted a $20 box of 1996 Topps Laser last month and got so much more enjoyment out of it and the funky laser die-cuts than I would out of a $20 blaster of new stuff, because I pulled names like Shawon Dunston, Rey Ordonez, Jay Bell and Will Clark - guys I strongly remember watching 20 years ago.

Regarding my new Vlad Guerrero 90's insert obsession - found a guy with 77 of the 90 different 1998 Tek patterns and 6 diffractors of Vladdie! Hoping to seal a deal today for them all.

I know someone with a couple Vlad Tek's :D

As far as damaged base cards, I donate them. Some might find it shady, but I figure some kid will buy them and enjoy them, and it helps the establishment I donated them too. Of course, most of what I donate is non-damaged stuff.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
scan0002_zps8cd2b383.jpg

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
My father in law has nine stints I believe. The last time he was in the hospital ( last year) the doctor told him he probably has the most in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts