Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Junk Era rarities to look out for. 1987-1994 Rarities to check for before tossing out.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    As always, that's subjective. But it has been catalogued in Dick Gilkeson's Errors & Variations guide since 1989 or so. Also listed in the SCD annual as such.

If they are going to list the 1990 Topps Jeff King "no white on back" as a variation, then this absolutely qualifies (same misprint type).
    Good call.

To me, the comstock "looks" like it's botched, defective, while the king "looks" like a genuine variation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    One of the rarest junk era variations and only the second copy I have seen:

not as nice as yours but considering the rarity I added this to my collection

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    Good call.

To me, the comstock "looks" like it's botched, defective, while the king "looks" like a genuine variation.
    Both cards are the product of excess single color inking (yellow in both cases). There are other subjects in 1990 Topps such as John Wathan where the back is 80-90% covered in yellow ink. The King card (which only one example is known/ever seen), just "lucked out" by being entirely effected by the ink run.

1986 Topps has many excess/solid red backs, 1967 Topps has several solid green backs etc...all similar excess ink run misprints.

Although I recognize their rarity and find them very interesting, I do not think any of them should be listed as "true" variations per Beckett's definition, or if so, they should open it up to the hundreds (thousands?) of others like them.
    http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think back to the 1969 Topps Mantle with Yellow or White lettering..

They had variations then just as they do now..

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is a bump, but worth it.

I've periodically looked over the years for an image of the 1991 leaf gold rookies variation with regular card numbers instead of "BC"

Just started reading a 1995 annual and here it is Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1522028864804.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	78527

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd add 1990 Topps blackless from the Frank Thomas sheet. I, for one, would find it interesting to assemble that "set."
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases and Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comstock, probably not holding any records for most variation/errors, but he does have that 91 Topps logo variation and then that minor league card where the ball looks to be hitting his crotch. That is 3 unique cards for a pretty blah player overall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12