User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The story & history of 1982 topps/ kmart set

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The story & history of 1982 topps/ kmart set

This set may only be worth a few bucks today, but it has an interesting place in this hobby.

It celebrated the twentieth anniversary of the store featuring previous league mvp winners.

It also was the first ever time that topps had made a set exclusively to be sold for a retail store (instead of a promotion).

The cards featured reproductions of that year's mvp's card (ex: mantle won in '62 so a 62 topps mantle was shown) and interestingly, the card of fred lynn was "custom made" for this set because he had shared his 1975 card with three others.

Being the first of its kind in a hobby which was just picking up some steam, there was a lot of speculation about this product being limited.

Despite being labeled "limited edition" on the box, there were parts of the country were these sets were everywhere, and others were no one saw them. In a time without internet or large collecting base, these would seem either mass produced or super rare.

That lead to crazy swings in prices.

Original srp was about $2, but ads could be seen selling them for nearly three times that.

But as the year went on, it was clear that their sheer abundance would doom this set because the prices tanked, both in the hobby where collectors & dealers hoarded them, and in the k mart stores which couldn't stop ordering them due to the initial huge sales.

By the start of 1983, despite being a loaded mega star studded product, some k mart stores were seen selling them for a dime per set of 44 cards!

It wouldn't be for another 4 years that the hobby saw the influx of store exclusive 33 & 44 card sets produced by both fleer & topps.

This was the product which started it all.

From info ive collected over the years, each of the 2,000 stores initially got 1,152 or 576 sets ea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1369610414075.jpg  
    Last edited by BBCgalaxee; 05-26-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The story & history of 1982 topps/ kmart set

Nice. I really liked the Fleer boxed sets as a kid. Thanks for sharing and keep reading and posting those old articles
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

GrumpsDugout
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat story.
    Grumps Dugout: Coming Soon

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The story & history of 1982 topps/ kmart set

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    Nice. I really liked the Fleer boxed sets as a kid. Thanks for sharing and keep reading and posting those old articles
    I remember the first time I saw the 1986 "sluggers vs. pitchers" set in a card store.

It was so loaded, had the first ever cards of joyner & clark. And then, a canseco & the usual usual stars.

I was so excited, I ran out to the car & asked my parents for money as I didn't have enough for the set.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    I remember the first time I saw the 1986 "sluggers vs. pitchers" set in a card store.

It was so loaded, had the first ever cards of joyner & clark. And then, a canseco & the usual usual stars.

I was so excited, I ran out to the car & asked my parents for money as I didn't have enough for the set.
    For a brief time period that Joyner card was absolutely huge. Didn't last too long but an interesting snapshot in the history of card collecting.

Senior Member MartinFFcollector's Avatar
     1989_fleer_bill_ripken_collector
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Love stories like this. Loved the boxes sets as a kid. K-Mart, Woolworths and Toy's R Us iirc.

mddgcag
     bgmartin76
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember those sets. I also remember getting the Revco sets back then to when we went to the drug store. Those little Fleer sets were pretty cool back then as well.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a good look back. Wish they still marketed in stores like Walgreens, CVS, etc in ways like they one did. Bunch of stars, not a lot of money = great ways for kids to collect.

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

BIG THANKS TO JBEL4431 FOR THE BANNERS

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i miss Woolworth's
    What you collect is awesome, what i collect sucks.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
    i miss Woolworth's
    Agree. We went to Woolworth at least once a week. I fondly remember pawing over GI Joes and baseball cards.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember getting this set back then as it was the only way I could get any cards of vintage Superstars.

Also, which players/years were the cards (33 and 44) were the ones you said were produced by both Fleer and Topps working together?
    Currently looking for: 2012 Ultra football (1992 style) #31 Rudy and Gold parallel version of 2011 Bowman Platinum Chase Utley #94.

Always looking for: 2008 BC Jake Peavy Orange Refractors /25, have 6 so far.

Senior Member MartinFFcollector's Avatar
     1989_fleer_bill_ripken_collector
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
    i miss Woolworth's
    Me too. Used to go get a grilled cheese as a kid. Remember them as being the best. (Fried with butter). We have one downtown still. Converted into a Antique store. Still has the functioning kitchen and a cool display of store brand items.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XXXX yea! Miss those days
    What you collect is awesome, what i collect sucks.

mclipers
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loved that set. Still have mine rounded corners And all.
    Always looking for
    1990 pro set series 1 football really for now.

Watcher033
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool story. I really remember Kmarts 1990 set most. It was the second year I collected and my Grandma bought it for me because I behaved on our shopping trip. That was a good incentive for an 7 year old who just had to go clothes shopping with his Grandmother for like 3 hours. Haha.
    Will Style 13
    Brady Anderson Collector currently 932/1245 75%

www.comc.com/Users/Watcher033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast