Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Zunino Gets the Call to the M's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
A bit surprising, as he hadn't been lighting up the PCL. Still, looking forward to seeing how he does. :D

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
They are bringing him up as they don't have any catchers that aren't hurt.. it's not about his offensive skills at this time, it's because the M's currently only have Bantz as the catcher.. Bantz was Zunino's back up in Tacoma.. Sucre just went on the 15 day DL..

When Shoppach gets healthy, I suspect they will send him back down to Tacoma..

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Why not start against the Astros it could not hurt lol

Probably because he just got into town a couple hours ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he pinch hits tonight and starts tomorrow.

With all that said, I honestly don't expect him to be here long, unless he's lighting it up. I think once Sucre is off the DL, Zunino will be back in Tacoma.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
not the worst forced callup but definitely not his time.

btw, anyone see his home/road Tacoma splits? At least he was tearing it up somewhere.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
The mariners are so bad as an organization that this seems like an obvious move.

He isnt hitting AAA pitching very well so the next best move is to call him up to the majors.

Actually, with the amount of injuries at the catching position they really had no choice. They brought up Brandon Bantz, a .178 hitting non-prospect from AA to fill a hole created by injuries to starting(!) catcher Jesus Sucre, overuse of backup Shoppach, and the breakdown of Jesus Montero's body and career.

You are half-right with your lazy assessment: Seattle is a bad organization right now, and created this catching mess for themselves, but they didn't just bring him Zunino on a whim. They did it out of desperation.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Actually, with the amount of injuries at the catching position they really had no choice. They brought up Brandon Bantz, a .178 hitting non-prospect from AA to fill a hole created by injuries to starting(!) catcher Jesus Sucre, overuse of backup Shoppach, and the breakdown of Jesus Montero's body and career.

You are half-right with your lazy assessment: Seattle is a bad organization right now, and created this catching mess for themselves, but they didn't just bring him Zunino on a whim. They did it out of desperation.

Eh, lazy is not looking on the scrap heap for an out of work journeyman catcher which i'm sure the independent leagues are full of.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Eh, lazy is not looking on the scrap heap for an out of work journeyman catcher which i'm sure the independent leagues are full of.

Who knows, maybe they did. It is your belief an independent leaguer who hasn't handled professional pitching or hitting recently would be a much better scenario than Zunino? Sounds like you need to be working in an MLB front office.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Who knows, maybe they did. It is your belief an independent leaguer who hasn't handled professional pitching or hitting recently would be a much better scenario than Zunino? Sounds like you need to be working in an MLB front office.

It is my opinion taking your premier prospect and bringing him to the majors before he's ready would be a no -brainer of things not to do. From a developmental standpoint, do i really need to go through the exercise of how that story more often than not ends?

Members online