Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 Elite just doesn't seem very popular

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
When I liquidated my collection I had cards of 2 players from 2007 Elite: Max Scherzer and Jordan Zimmermann. In the case of Scherzer I had an auto parallel /12 and for Zimmermann I had 12 base auto's /469. The Scherzer sold for roughly $65 while the lot of Zimmermann's sold for $100. At the time I thought that was low. Of course, both players have been lighting it up this year (Scherzer is 9-0 and Zimmermann has been one of the best pitchers in the NL). I sold right before the season and figured that I must have lost out because of timing, but looking at prices now, not much has changed. I know Zimmermann has a Bowman Chrome Auto which hurts it, but Scherzer does not even have that going against it. I know neither player has become a big hobby star yet, but it seems like people are viewing 2007 Elite as a set without much potential.

Am I wrong on this? I seem to remember that when the set was released, it was pretty popular...

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I think its taken both guys "too long" in hobby years to have a great season.

Thats our hobby, as fun & great as it is, it can be totally wacky a lot of times.

Try to explain to someone how a low A player can have an auto rc be worth nearly the same as an mlb established star.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Zimmermann is completely overshadowed by Strasburg and Gio. If he started the All Star game for the NL, or a World Series game maybe people would notice.

Thomasmenshoops

May 11, 2013
Waterville ME
The worst part of the hobby in my opinion. Prospects are chased more and have more market value than HOF and established stars. How are your Cameron Maybins doing now? Ridiculous.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If I remember correctly it was member [MENTION=1756]Kevbo[/MENTION] who sold a Scherzer /12 for something like $460 when he debuted and was perfect in his 4+ innings of relief with like 7 strikeouts.

Not sure why, but I have noticed Elite and Sterling seeming to hold WAY less value than they used to, even for present year stuff. It used to be that a player's first auto from Sterling or Elite would sell very close to, or even higher than, the player's Chrome Auto if the Chrome Auto came out a year or two after the Sterling/Elite. Now it's all about the Chrome, and Chrome outsells virtually everything no matter when it comes out.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Once a pitcher becomes a star in his late 20s, (Scherzer turns 29 next month, Zimmermann is 27), it's usually too late for their rookie prices to rise much. Investors don't care, and collectors won't pay high prices because they know the player developed too late to put together a Hall of Fame career.

There are rare exceptions, like R.A. Dickey last year, but his personal story made the mainstream news and his cards were worthless before.

Look at Adam Wainwright. One of MLB's best pitchers. But only Cardinals collectors care.
Once a veteran becomes too old to project as a Hall of Famer, their cards' value almost never rises.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Maybe the focus has shifted from the secondary draft/prospect products that are unlicensed and people are chasing the MLBPA rookie logo / rookie year autographs instead - especially for secondary / complimentary players.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Scherzer has never put together a dominant season or won a Cy Young - he's essentially a No.3 starter with good stuff but hasn't done anything to sustain any kind of hype.

Zimmermann profiles the same way except he's done a little less in his career because he's gotten hurt.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Scherzer has never put together a dominant season or won a Cy Young - he's essentially a No.3 starter with good stuff but hasn't done anything to sustain any kind of hype.

Zimmermann profiles the same way except he's done a little less in his career because he's gotten hurt.

whaaaaaaaat? Scherzer was filthy last year. 2nd to only Verlander with 231 strikeouts. 231 punchouts in 187 innings. If that's not dominant I don't know what is. He'd be a #1 starter on the majority of teams right now.

This year he's second behind Darvish in K's and has a .875 WHIP through 90 innings. That's pure dominance.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
whaaaaaaaat? Scherzer was filthy last year. 2nd to only Verlander with 231 strikeouts. 231 punchouts in 187 innings. If that's not dominant I don't know what is. He'd be a #1 starter on the majority of teams right now.

This year he's second behind Darvish in K's and has a .875 WHIP through 90 innings. That's pure dominance.

Sure, but on the other hand, he'll be 29 in a month, and doesn't have 1000 Ks and only 60 career wins.

Almost zero long-term investment potential here and little to no HOF shot.

This long-term view is is the opposite from a prospecting standpoint which is almost purely short-term, you're not supposed to look at the long-term when prospecting.

No short-term investment and no long-term investment = very affordable prices :)

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Sure, but on the other hand, he'll be 29 in a month, and doesn't have 1000 Ks and only 60 career wins.

Almost zero long-term investment potential here and little to no HOF shot.

This long-term view is is the opposite from a prospecting standpoint which is almost purely short-term, you're not supposed to look at the long-term when prospecting.

No short-term investment and no long-term investment = very affordable prices :)
I think you misunderstood, I don't think anyone disagrees with what you said. I never mentioned anything about HOF potential or what kind of "investment" he'd be. My response was strictly for Lars who said:

He put together a dominant season in 2012 and he'd be a #1 starter on more than half the teams in the majors. I don't think anyone that follows baseball can read what Lars said and accept it as a valid point.

Last edited:

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Both will need a Halladay situation where they remain awesome for several years then do something particularly outstanding then everyone will notice and jump on their bandwagon. Pitchers have it rough until they have that no hitter or trade to a new market, or Kerry Wood type moment.

Members online

Latest posts