Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's Midseason Top 50 Prospects List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Midseason Prospect Update: Top 50 Prospects - BaseballAmerica.com

Midseason Prospect Update: Top 50 Prospects
July 8, 2013 by J.J. Cooper

Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Our Midseason Top 50 Prospects list of the top prospects currently playing in the minors. Players from the 2013 draft, those who had exhausted rookie eligibility or those who were in the major leagues on July 1 are not eligible.

Rank Player Pos. Team
1 Byron Buxton of Twins
No. 1 talent in last year’s draft is even better than expected with power, speed, defense and an extremely advanced hitting approach
2 Oscar Taveras of Cardinals
Has been limited by an ankle injury, but power, hitting ability still evident.
3 Miguel Sano 3b Twins
Best power in the minors, one of the best arms. Hitting ability has taken a step forward.
4 Xander Bogaerts ss Red Sox
Of an impressive group of shortstop prospects, Bogaerts has best combo of hit and power tools.
5 Francisco Lindor ss Indians
Smooth-swinging switch-hitter has plenty of range and soft hands at shortstop.
6 Archie Bradley rhp Diamondbacks
Bundy-Bradley debate continues. Bundy won ‘12, Bradley is going to win ‘13 and ‘14 by default.
7 Taijuan Walker rhp Mariners
Scout: “He could pitch in the big leagues right now.” Improved control is remaining to-do item.
8 Christian Yelich of Marlins
Injuries have ruined his first half of the season, but they haven’t screwed up his excellent swing.
9 Carlos Correa ss Astros
Correa doesn’t run all that well, but he does everything else you’d look for in a shortstop.
10 Javier Baez ss Cubs
Earlier this year became second Florida State Leaguer to hit four home runs in one game.
11 Jameson Taillon rhp Pirates
Arrival of Gerrit Cole gives Pirates one future frontline starter, Taillon isn’t far behind.
12 Michael Wacha rhp Cardinals
In a thinner organization, he’d have made more than three big league starts this year.
13 Gregory Polanco of Pirates
When Polanco joines Pirates outfield, club will field three legitimate center fielders.
14 Tyler Skaggs lhp Diamondbacks
Pitching in Reno skews his stats, but has posted 2.62 ERA away from Reno this year.
15 Nick Castellanos of Tigers
Took a month to adjust to Triple-A. Since May 1, .321 AVG, 8 HR, 33 BBs, 35 Ks.
16 Albert Almora of Cubs
Missed first month with hamate injury, but has made up for lost time since returning.
17 Dylan Bundy rhp Orioles
Tommy John surgery is a significant setback, but teams would still love to have him.
18 Jorge Soler of Cubs
Will miss two months with stress fracture, but talent is too good to ignore.
19 Addison Russell ss Athletics
Slow start behind him, Russell has caught up to the Cal League, will soon surpass it.
20 George Springer of Astros
He gets caught on his front foot at times, but his power and speed are worth some strikeouts.
21 Jackie Bradley of Red Sox
Ceiling is lower than some lower on this list, but he’s a safe bet to be an long-time everyday center fielder.
22 Jonathan Singleton 1b Astros
Returned from suspension to immediately reclaim status as top first base prospect in a thin class.
23 Noah Syndergaard rhp Mets
Improved breaking ball has made his mid-90s fastball an even deadlier weapon.
24 Carlos Martinez rhp Cardinals
Either going to be a future closer or a solid middle of rotation starter with plus stuff.
25 Travis D’Arnaud c Mets
When healthy, he’s top catching prospect in minors, but healthy months are few and far between.
26 Yordano Ventura rhp Royals
With an improved curveball and an average changeup to go with a 100-mph fastball, isn’t far from big leagues.
27 Robert Stephenson rhp Reds
Not many starting pitchers can touch 100 mph consistently, especially with potential plus secondary stuff.
28 Kyle Zimmer rhp Royals
Results have generally been awful, but his stuff is just as good as it was when he was drafted last year.
29 Taylor Guerrieri rhp Rays
Rays move pitching prospects slowly, but Guerrieri’s 1.70 career ERA shows it’s working for him.
30 Austin Hedges c Padres
Not far away from claiming title of best catching prospect away from injured D’Arnaud.
31 Mike Foltyniewicz rhp Astros
Fastball sat at 91-94 mph when he was drafted; now he touched 100 mph regularly.
32 Alex Meyer rhp Twins
His acquisition helped fill Twins’ most desperate need–nearly big league ready power pitching.
33 Andrew Heaney lhp Marlins
On strict pitch counts as he comes back from strained lat, but has dominated in short stints.
34 Gary Sanchez c Yankees
Reports are more optimistic that he could stay behind the plate long-term.
35 Joc Pederson of Dodgers
Overshadowed by Yasiel Puig’s breakout year, but Pederson too can hit, hit for power, field and run.
36 Billy Hamilton of Reds
Move to outfield has gone well, has best speed in baseball, but his lefthanded swing still needs work.
37 Anthony Ranaudo rhp Red Sox
If not for his track record of injuries/ineffectiveness, he’d rate even higher.
38 Danny Hultzen lhp Mariners
Stint on disabled list with rotator cuff strain has opposing scouts concerned, but solid in first start back.
39 Alen Hanson ss Pirates
Might end up as a second baseman long term, but he hits enough that such a move won’t be a problem.
40 Max Fried lhp Padres
As you would expect from young flame-throwing lefty, has shown flashes of brilliance around bouts of wildness.
41 Garin Cecchini 3b Red Sox
One of the breakout stars of 2013 ranks second in minors in on-base percentage.
42 Aaron Sanchez rhp Blue Jays
Has missed a month with a shoulder injury, but was throwing in mid-90s in his return from the DL.
43 Jesse Biddle lhp Phillies
Had one of best outings of year with 16 Ks against Harrisburg in April, but his control frequently wavers.
44 Mike Olt 3b Rangers
Vision problems ruined his April, but since his return he’s back to being a low-average, big power third baseman.
45 Rafael De Paula rhp Yankees
Long-awaited U.S. debut has gone as expected for De Paula who is moving quickly through minors.
46 Lance McCullers rhp Astros
His changeup has a long ways to go, but few pitchers in minors can match his fastball/breaking ball combo.
47 Kolten Wong 2b Cardinals
Not flashy, but a safe bet to have a lengthy big league career as a solid all-around second baseman.
48 Adam Eaton of Diamondbacks
Big league arrival has been delayed by elbow injury, but Diamondbacks could use him now.
49 Kyle Crick rhp Giants
Another injured pitcher who has recently returned to the mound, Crick is next in Giants’ long line of power arms.
50 Adalberto Mondesi ss Royals
Has survived Sally League as a 17-year-old shortstop while hitting for cycle and homering twice in one game.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
My issues with this list:

1) Stephenson's ranking - I wonder if his injury dropped him down, as he was arguably the best pitcher in the MWL so far this year.
2) No Henry Owens - improved velocity over the offseason, with better secondary stuff. Can't figure out why he missed out.
3) No Marcus Stroman - is the future reliever stigma messing with his ranking? Or just lack of playing time, due to his suspension? Lack of playing time surely didn't stop Almora from making this list.
4) No Maikel Franco - really?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Interesting to see Buxton on top. Hard to argue with as good as he's been.

Love seeing Baez break the top 10

LOVE seeing them give Joc Pederson some recognition, as he has one of the best statlines in the Minors as one of the youngest players in Double-A

Cubs with 3 top 20 prospects is pretty cool. Bryant might make it 4.

Still don't get why Delino DeShields...I mean Francisco Lindor....is ranked THAT high, but I guess everyone likes him but me.

The only other thing I'd really disagree with is the number of RHP ahead of Taylor Guerrieri. He's been better than the three guys ranked directly in front of him and has a higher ceiling than any of them other than maybe Stephenson.

Overall this seems like a great list. Excited to see a lot of my guys make it, and their comments are always fun to read.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I thought Castellanos would be a little higher.

I'm actually surprised they ranked Hanson as high as they did.

Hopefully Almora can keep it up and move higher come the 100 in Feb.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Excellent list overall. Nice ranking for Yelich and Zimmer despite their down years, statistically speaking.

The Maikel Franco omission is the only glaring fault. Taillon is a bit high for me and I may never understand the continued love for Gary Sanchez.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I will use this thread as shameful way to show off my Almora stash progress. Still have a ways to go.

002_zps4bbd94cb.jpg

003_zpsef7c8fee.jpg

004_zps8b3480a2.jpg

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
All the Polanco talk and where he fits in the Pirates future OF is interesting. Just wonder if Josh Bell is in those plans. Of course it's no given he's staying with them, but they must not be too high on him anymore if his isn't mentioned in the equation.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Still don't get why Delino DeShields...I mean Francisco Lindor....is ranked THAT high, but I guess everyone likes him but me.

Elite defensive shortstops with plus on base ability have value far beyond what they're given credit for by the average fan. Look at the contract that the Rangers - one of the smartest teams in baseball - just gave to Elvis Andrus.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Interesting to see Buxton on top. Hard to argue with as good as he's been.

Love seeing Baez break the top 10

LOVE seeing them give Joc Pederson some recognition, as he has one of the best statlines in the Minors as one of the youngest players in Double-A

Cubs with 3 top 20 prospects is pretty cool. Bryant might make it 4.

The only other thing I'd really disagree with is the number of RHP ahead of Taylor Guerrieri. He's been better than the three guys ranked directly in front of him and has a higher ceiling than any of them other than maybe Stephenson.

Overall this seems like a great list. Excited to see a lot of my guys make it, and their comments are always fun to read.

Guerrieri has been better than Archie Bradley? Seriously? Please share how you come to that conclusion, esp knowing they are the same age and Bradley has been dominant in A+ and AA, while Guerrieri is still in A ball.

On another note: BA had Puig ranked at #47 going into this year with just a 55 grade on both bat and defense. (He's batting .409 in MLB so far with 54 H, 17 EBH, including 8 HR and 19 RBI in 33 games so far, and made several spectacular catches.)

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
Guerrieri has been better than Archie Bradley? Seriously? Please share how you come to that conclusion, esp knowing they are the same age and Bradley has been dominant in A+ and AA, while Guerrieri is still in A ball.

On another note: BA had Puig ranked at #47 going into this year with just a 55 grade on both bat and defense. (He's batting .409 in MLB so far with 54 H, 17 EBH, including 8 HR and 19 RBI in 33 games so far, and made several spectacular catches.)

He is talking about Yordano Ventura, Robert Stephenson, and Kyle Zimmer. The 3 RHP directly before Guerrieri.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Yeah I was just talking about the couple guys right in front of him. As always with lists like these, you could probably make an argument to swap rankings of a lot of different guys.

Yes. It becomes a matter of splitting hairs.

Personally, I think they should just do a top 50 or top 100 and not necessarily state an order except perhaps pooling them in a top 10 or 20, because typically there will be that many true "stand-out" types. It's a subjective opinion anyway, so I think BA should just say, Here's the top 10 or 20 and the rest round out the top 50 or 100.

Members online

Latest posts