Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

State of the Hobby-Razz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I've been hearing more and more about individuals "razzing" singles and wondered what this community thought of it.

I entered into a "razz" room last night feeling like newly minted 18 year old trying to buy a ***** mag for the first time, dirty.

Card after card, I watched men I only "knew" through a cheesy name on a screen, throw money towards a 1:10 chance at hitting a $30-$80 card.
Some bought one slot, some grabbed 3 or more.

Three hours later, yes, three hours later I was engrossed into what I'd originally thought was this armpit of the hobby. The only problem, I was becoming one of "them".

I only bought into one "razz" (BGS 9.5 Puig Mini-Refractor) but it held my attention for hours. It kept me wondering what the next card would be and would I take a shot.

I closed the MacBook at 3:30AM this morning thinking, "that wasn't so dirty at all". In fact the amount of trust shown was probably the highest I've seen in the hobby in some time.

I think I'll get "dirty" again sometime soon.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
The reason I hate raffles is because I dont understand why if a card sells for 60 on the regular that now the stupid seller now gets 80 for raffling it off? Its really dumb.

So because they hit the randomizer button 3 times and entered 10 names in they deserve more money? Please its like when a little kid gets a good idea, or at least they think they got a good idea and its really not.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
The reason I hate raffles is because I dont understand why if a card sells for 60 on the regular that now the stupid seller now gets 80 for raffling it off? Its really dumb.

So because they hit the randomizer button 3 times and entered 10 names in they deserve more money? Please its like when a little kid gets a good idea, or at least they think they got a good idea and its really not.

Sorry, getting 80 dollars for a 60 dollar card is dumb?

I kind of feel like its a smart strategy...

WaxPax

Yea the first I heard of this was when Boomo was doing his 50 case 2013 Bowman Break....they were "Razzing" some of the slots that didn't sell out in order to begin the break....Dudes were dropping pretty big bucks on a 1:5 or 1:10 chance for a slot....

A_Pharis

Razzles are raffles.
We had a kid here recently that was trying to "razzle" $5 cards for $.50 a chance. It wasn't looked well upon.

Personally, I know that opening packs is "gambling," group breaks are "gambling" - a lot of what surrounds the hobby is as close to gambling as you can get. The problem with "razzles" is that they ARE gambling. While not bad - per se - I just don't think they really fly.

A_Pharis

Oh, and - that said - there's no policy against them here, but if they were to be taken seriously then they would need to be moderated in the same way that group breaks are. It's probably a bridge that needs to be crossed if they are gaining popularity.

But - for the love of God - can we call them RAFFLES?!?!?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Sorry, getting 80 dollars for a 60 dollar card is dumb?

I kind of feel like its a smart strategy...

Its dumb for the buyers to give a dude $20+ for hitting random 3 times yes. Its smart for the seller who is milking every cent.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Example:

Guy puts up a Puig that sells for $130 on eBay. Offers it $13 for one slot ---10 total slots. The actual broadcaster gets a FREE spot in the razzle. They put 10 names into Random.org and hit the button however many times the dice roll says. If nobody bites on the $13 price he lowers it to $12.

The guy I was watching was selling cards for other people that he had in hand (he was also a group breaker) and also selling cards that people would text him via iPhone.

The broadcaster wasnt making any money per say, but always got a shot at every card.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis

Probably not, because raffles aren't allowed to be paid through paypal and have other tax and legal ramifications. However like others have said, what the hell is a razzle. Semantics to get around rules. As long as I get a signed index card I'm all in though. /sarcasm.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I didn't see any card go +20 over eBay value. If the price is set wrong the consumers weren't buying spots.

A_Pharis

Example:

Guy puts up a Puig that sells for $130 on eBay. Offers it $13 for one slot ---10 total slots. The actual broadcaster gets a FREE spot in the razzle. They put 10 names into Random.org and hit the button however many times the dice roll says. If nobody bites on the $13 price he lowers it to $12.

The guy I was watching was selling cards for other people that he had in hand (he was also a group breaker) and also selling cards that people would text him via iPhone.

The broadcaster wasnt making any money per say, but always got a shot at every card.

If it's an established member doing the raffle live on cam - properly - then I have no problems with this (though I don't speak for the staff as a whole on this). I do think that if it's something that the community, as a general "whole", could get behind then there should be a serious discussion about the rules that need to be put in place.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Oh, and - that said - there's no policy against them here, but if they were to be taken seriously then they would need to be moderated in the same way that group breaks are. It's probably a bridge that needs to be crossed if they are gaining popularity.

Chris could move $30 cards on his video chat software with razzes all night...if he wanted to. People were willing to pay $3 for a 1:10 chance at a $30 Ray Rice RC Auto.

A_Pharis

Probably not, because raffles aren't allowed to be paid through paypal and have other tax and legal ramifications. However like others have said, what the hell is a razzle. Semantics to get around rules. As long as I get a signed index card I'm all in though. /sarcasm.

Maybe you guys can coin a new term then. The whole "avoiding legal ramifications" thing is probably going to be what kills the idea here, since... well... doing something in any way to avoid legal ramifications would be a bad idea.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I've seen this for 3 years now on Blog and now VaughnLive. But, in those three years, I think I've gotten involved in 1/2 dozen or so raffles. Won maybe one. It's interesting to watch, because the folks raffling the cards are carnies in training, pimping their wares and trying to get participation. Some folks are better than others.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
The most interesting part was that this guy (Mike) was getting texts all night of cards that he didnt even have in hand, and they were selling like crazy.

Someone texted him a Kaepernick RPA and it sold for $12 a slot...all the money was sent to the texter and Mike razzed it once all payment was sent.

Members online

Latest posts