Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Counterfeit or Real? 2003 Donruss Team Heroes Master Team Set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snakebit95

Nov 20, 2010
Montgomery, AL
I recently purchased a second 2003 Donruss Team Heroes Master Team Set card (or so I thought) and realized they are somewhat different when compared side-by-side. Both cards are serial numbered to 20, but one has gold foil and one has silver foil. In addition, the font style on the gold card is different than the silver card. Does anybody here have any history on these variations? I am wondering if one of them may be counterfeit, since the cards appear to be the same as the base set with exception to the foil stamping on the front. The gold foil card was received in an IKON Grading Services graded case if that makes any difference. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
I recently purchased a second 2003 Donruss Team Heroes Master Team Set card (or so I thought) and realized they are somewhat different when compared side-by-side. Both cards are serial numbered to 20, but one has gold foil and one has silver foil. In addition, the font style on the gold card is different than the silver card. Does anybody here have any history on these variations? I am wondering if one of them may be counterfeit, since the cards appear to be the same as the base set with exception to the foil stamping on the front. The gold foil card was received in an IKON Grading Services graded case if that makes any difference. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

Scans?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I now have 2 Will Clark's #1 /20. Same font , different size though. One is PSA graded one I bought in a lot and came from an IKON case. I am sending to PSA to see what it comes back as. I believe it to be a fake. IKON ones I think we're produced by them at home n slabbed

Ryan

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
How were the "Team Set" /15's distributed? Were all the Master Set cards just inserted in packs? I was collecting then but I don't think I ever bought any packs of Team Heroes aside from maybe a few retail

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
How were the "Team Set" /15's distributed? Were all the Master Set cards just inserted in packs? I was collecting then but I don't think I ever bought any packs of Team Heroes aside from maybe a few retail

I believe the Master Set /20 were in packs as singles. The Master Team Set /15 were redemptions for the entire team set /15.

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I believe the Master Set /20 were in packs as singles. The Master Team Set /15 were redemptions for the entire team set /15.

So some Mariners fans probably have the Cirillo /15 I need! Thanks, I'll hold out hope a set gets broken up some day

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
So some Mariners fans probably have the Cirillo /15 I need! Thanks, I'll hold out hope a set gets broken up some day

I know some of the Master Team Sets of the Mariners have been broken up already. I have the Harold Reynolds and I think Sly has one too.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I know some of the Master Team Sets of the Mariners have been broken up already. I have the Harold Reynolds and I think Sly has one too.

Hmm either they were listed back when I didn't know there were 2 versions, or the sellers didn't bother to list Cirillos. Both are very plausable lol

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Yeah that IKON graded Bonds is super fake. Donruss/Playoff never used serial number stamps with a font like that that I can remember.

snakebit95

Nov 20, 2010
Montgomery, AL
Thanks for the link regarding IKON. Not sure what to think with all of the thoughts thrown around in that thread. Some say legitimate cards were slabbed and some say cards were being stamped with hand stamps. My cards look to be machine stamped and fairly professional at that. Beckett does mention that there were silver and gold foil cards, but does not specify any serial number range for each foil type. They do confirm a print run of 20 cards for each player though.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Thanks for the link regarding IKON. Not sure what to think with all of the thoughts thrown around in that thread. Some say legitimate cards were slabbed and some say cards were being stamped with hand stamps. My cards look to be machine stamped and fairly professional at that. Beckett does mention that there were silver and gold foil cards, but does not specify any serial number range for each foil type. They do confirm a print run of 20 cards for each player though.

The font for the numbers is totally different however which is why the card is very suspect. The seller has a less than stellar reputation and has for many years now so I'd say that the card you have slabbed is a base card stamped aftermarket by Ikon. I remember this seller having numerous cards like this back when this was a new set.

snakebit95

Nov 20, 2010
Montgomery, AL
Yeah, after I purchased the card, I looked at some the sellers past sales and it did make me wonder how one person might have so many serial numbered 01/01 cards that were slabbed in IKON slabs. He seems to have a few of the Donruss Heroes cards as well. I wish another collector could post scans of a silver card numbered 01/20. It might help confirm some things.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Here is a scan of a team heroes STAT LINE Pedro Martinez, gold foil, FWIW

purchased from burbank a few years ago

the font looks more like your 11/20 silver foil to me

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
I just looked and the ones I had were Master Team Set /15 and had gold foil but font like the legit Bonds on the left.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Your Bonds 1/20 is counterfeit. Here's a real (foreground) and fake (background) 1/20 Justice.

martinffcollector-albums-random-picture19742-2003-donruss-team-heroes-master-set-comparison.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=2003+DONRUSS+TEAM+HEROES+MASTER+SET&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=BvfyUZDkI--0igKmiYCgCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1017&bih=669#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=_maiYI5JMyjgZM%3A%3BtjVtij0nfPmbYM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.justice1of1.com%252F1%252F2003-donruss-team-heroes-master-set-comparison.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.justice1of1.com%252F1%252F2003-donruss-team-heroes-master-set-counterfeit-01.html%3B389%3B332

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts