Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can Someone Please Explain the National Bowman Platinum Redemption?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I didn't get a chance to go to the National this year, but I read several times that the Bowman Platinum redemption was going to be for a set /500, with 100 being given out a day. When I look on ebay, I see that the sets are numbered out of 125. Will someone please explain what happened? Did they only give out 25 sets a day? Was there any fuss/bloodshed? Thanks in advance.

BluesBroSJ

Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
If you weren't in as a dealer or one of the first VIPs in line, you didn't have a prayer. It turned into a 100 card set /125 and you got it in 25 card increments. I was lucky enough to get 2 sets..... That were identical. Friday was a cluster. At about 945 topps announced that it was no longer the first 100 people in line, but a raffle to get the sets. Livid, we got our tickets and left. There was one guy standing in front of topps booth taking people's names and information for a bait and switch lawsuit. Later I overheard a conversation between two dealers saying the promoters came over to topps booth and basically said "you aren't doing a raffle".

....all that being said, they apparently only gave out 100 tickets for the raffle so the first 100 people got their sets on Friday. I didn't bother trying Saturday nor will I try tomorrow. I didn't get Puig or Buxton, but I ended up with a pair of Correa's.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
If you weren't in as a dealer or one of the first VIPs in line, you didn't have a prayer. It turned into a 100 card set /125 and you got it in 25 card increments. I was lucky enough to get 2 sets..... That were identical. Friday was a cluster. At about 945 topps announced that it was no longer the first 100 people in line, but a raffle to get the sets. Livid, we got our tickets and left. There was one guy standing in front of topps booth taking people's names and information for a bait and switch lawsuit. Later I overheard a conversation between two dealers saying the promoters came over to topps booth and basically said "you aren't doing a raffle".

....all that being said, they apparently only gave out 100 tickets for the raffle so the first 100 people got their sets on Friday. I didn't bother trying Saturday nor will I try tomorrow. I didn't get Puig or Buxton, but I ended up with a pair of Correa's.

Wow. How did this possibly seem like a good idea to the geniuses at Topps? Plus, I just read that Topps decided not to include anything in the VIP bag this year. Just when I think they can't possibly care any less about their customers, they prove me wrong again. Thanks for the response.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Wow Topps. Just wow. I have always been disappointed with their presence at the Nationals that I have attended(Cleveland '09, Baltimore '10, Chicago '11). Panini, Upper Deck, and even Leaf have had rather large and lavish set ups at these shows and Topps.....well, its a small booth with a few banners. Most of the time they didn't even have a representative at the booth. Kinda crappy from a baseball stance, in that they are the "face" of MLB trading cards. I like some of their products but they do a horrible job in being accessible to collectors at these shows.

BluesBroSJ

Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
It was bad. When I went back to talk to them about what happened one of the employees at the topps booth told me they were considering hiring security for Saturday & Sunday. I avoided their booth like the plague during the initial rush so I have no idea if they did or not. All I know is in comparison to leaf, panini, and upper deck, the general consensus was topps generated a lot of negative goodwill at the national this year.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
They did have security Saturday.
Friday morning I saw a guy go off another guy that he thought was Topps staff. It was ugly!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
This is the first time since at least 2006 that Topps didn't include a vip set.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Topps could care less, you are all sheep and will buy anything and everything they put out regardless. Why spend more when they have you for less?

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
This is the first time since at least 2006 that Topps didn't include a vip set.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Possibly the ultimate way to say "We don't care about our customers!"

I thought that the promoters of the National made it mandatory for manufacturers who set up there to put something in the VIP bag. Guess I was wrong (as usual).

Members online