Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

============ The Morning Thread ============

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I am 110% fine with someone else starting it. I know Barry is up before me as well. I was actually thinking of asking others to start it if they'd like. I'd be happy to see others starting it to be honest.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I am 110% fine with someone else starting it. I know Barry is up before me as well. I was actually thinking of asking others to start it if they'd like. I'd be happy to see others starting it to be honest.

But, But, consistency is what we look forward to. ;)

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Good morning all. Got back home Sunday evening. I had a great time at the show, especially meeting up with Eric, Lisa, PNW Alex, Richard, Chris, Ken, Tim, Wes, Julie, Jaypers, Matt S, Boomo, and others that I might have missed. Sorry that George and Charlie couldn't make it this year. I would have gone with Ken and Alex to lunch with Pete, but I wasn't hungry.

I had some amazing National Treasures breaks, I have a lot of scanning to do to post the breaks. I know many here are not basketball collectors, I started in the hobby collecting baseball, but my love of the NBA enlarged my PC's. The last couple of years Panini really put some really bad products on the market, but this release is probably the best ever.

A_Pharis

This has all been my personal feelings on it. I know you all remember the crap we went through before with this same issue. Ignoring MTs started by other people. Football forumites starting the baseball MT.
You guys remember that, too, right? The MT shouldn't be about starting a club with rules. It should be about everyone being welcome and not to be exclusionary. Part of what makes it work, as I said before, has been the common courtesy that has been granted Dan - because, let's face it, the guy wakes up before the roosters.
He does it because he's a good guy, and because he's a staple here... but norms are norms - not rules.

That said - someone starting the thread because they stay up extra late at night just so they can say "Hey, look! I started it!" and going to bed is just pointless and frowned upon.

It's not a race.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
This has all been my personal feelings on it. I know you all remember the crap we went through before with this same issue. Ignoring MTs started by other people. Football forumites starting the baseball MT.
You guys remember that, too, right? The MT shouldn't be about starting a club with rules. It should be about everyone being welcome and not to be exclusionary. Part of what makes it work, as I said before, has been the common courtesy that has been granted Dan - because, let's face it, the guy wakes up before the roosters.
He does it because he's a good guy, and because he's a staple here... but norms are norms - not rules.

That said - someone starting the thread because they stay up extra late at night just so they can say "Hey, look! I started it!" and going to bed is just pointless and frowned upon.

It's not a race.

My whole stance is that I want more members to join and help them with their collections if possible. I want everyone to feel like they can stop in and chat. I appreciate that everyone me to start it, but I'm being 100% truthful when I say I'd like to see Barry, George, and others start it too. Whatever is best for everyone and keeps us moving forward is A-okay with me.

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Happy Monday.

Looks like a lot of folks had fun at the national. I know I sure did. I didn't find any Mark Grace cards I didn't already have. But I did find a few items I didn't have:

3 J.K.A. Specialties Buttons:
89JKABUTTON.jpg
93JKABUTTON.jpg
97JKABUTTON.jpg

2 Chicago Vineline with Grace covers:
mag32.jpg
mag31.jpg

For my Maranville under $50 collection, I found a 1934 Diamond Matchbook. These were issued in four colors, now have two:
maranville34DMC_orange.jpg

Some other small purchases (4 Vlad Guerrero GU for $10, 11 inserts for $20), and commissioned a sketch card from Brian Kong. Mostly just had fun seeing all the great cards out there! Love seeing what you guys picked up, thanks to all who have posted their pickups.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
Good Morning Everyone!!
[MENTION=1794]A_Pharis[/MENTION] - I hear what you are saying and welcoming new members is OK with me more than you might think. There was a time when I was new of course and you guys let me post and let me learn the ropes. But barreling in like a gang buster is not what this place is about. There certainly is a pecking order and it is just the way it goes. That doesn't mean new people can't come in a post and eventually become a permanent fixture here. Because they most definitely can. What it does mean to me is that if you want to come in and become part of it, learn your way, feel your way, and ask questions. Don't argue with everyone because you feel you have a right to, you are correct when you say it is not an exclusive place to be, but it certainly is a respectable place to be. I have a lot of respect for the people who post in here, for them as men/women and for them as knowledgeable players in the Hobby. But there is a way to gain that respect and you know the person this is all regarding isn't going about it in that fashion. Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing with anything you have stated, just giving my opinion and point of view. Thank you.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Alex, PNW, did you see Stephen King's new book, inclusion of Danny from the Shining, 20 years later!

A_Pharis

It's not only about this one person - specifically. It's the tone in general, sometimes.

If there's going to be something established to rule by then it should be documented and posted. Not every new person is going to be a forward thinking member, so any rule that needs to be enforced needs to be posted and amended into the TOS.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Good Morning Everyone!!
[MENTION=1794]A_Pharis[/MENTION] - I hear what you are saying and welcoming new members is OK with me more than you might think. There was a time when I was new of course and you guys let me post and let me learn the ropes. But barreling in like a gang buster is not what this place is about. There certainly is a pecking order and it is just the way it goes. That doesn't mean new people can't come in a post and eventually become a permanent fixture here. Because they most definitely can. What it does mean to me is that if you want to come in and become part of it, learn your way, feel your way, and ask questions. Don't argue with everyone because you feel you have a right to, you are correct when you say it is not an exclusive place to be, but it certainly is a respectable place to be. I have a lot of respect for the people who post in here, for them as men/women and for them as knowledgeable players in the Hobby. But there is a way to gain that respect and you know the person this is all regarding isn't going about it in that fashion. Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing with anything you have stated, just giving my opinion and point of view. Thank you.

A big part of this that has not been discussed, I would imagine, is the fact that this new member has generally conducted him/herself like a ******* in other threads since joining. It might be more accepted if they were, as Alex suggested, "respectable". Even just being liked in general would help lol

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
It's not only about this one person - specifically. It's the tone in general, sometimes.

If there's going to be something estamblished to rule by then it should be documented and posted. Not every new person is going to be a forward thinking member, so any rule that needs to be enforced needs to be posted and amended into the TOS.

I hear you.

A_Pharis

A big part of this that has not been discussed, I would imagine, is the fact that this new member has generally conducted him/herself like a ******* in other threads since joining. It might be more accepted if they were, as Alex suggested, "respectable". Even just being liked in general would help lol

But it isn't something that needs to be done on a basis of "as it happens."
Hell, I conduct myself like a ******* all of the time.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Good morning.

Civic holiday today, which means the weekend continues!

Sent using the Freedom Card Board mobile app.

We named "civic holiday" Heritage Day in Alberta.

Morning

I've started the MT on the weekend before. I think some see the MT as exclusionary when it is one of the most helpful groups I've ever come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts