Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So Topps finally killed it for me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I don't know what it is lately. I still enjoy collecting, and I pick up a few Heritage cards here and there, but it's nothing like it was a couple years ago. I guess that's a good thing, because other parts of my life are really getting busy to the point of not being able to collect the way I used to. I think a big part of it is just that the Heritage set is so different now than it was 5+ years ago when I first got into it. You could build a nice master set, with all the SP's and variations, for under $500 and a few trades here and there. There's just too much to chase now. So many "super" SP's that cost a couple hundred bucks, pointless fake error cards that add nothing to the set, etc. I only bought a handful of 2013 singles, and for a little more than the price of a case, I've got most of the autos, a handful of black refs, and some other neat oddballs. I have enjoyed trying to fill the holes in my earlier Heritage sets, but I know that this will be the last year I even pick up any new Heritage stuff. The sell sheet for 2014 is just more of the same, and it doesn't appeal to me at all.

The thing that absolutely killed it for me was the redemption I bought for a 1963 Bazooka buyback stamp. The odds on these were pretty high (1 in 47,000 packs or so), but I knew that I was taking a chance with Topps' recent redemption track record. These redemption cards were selling in the $100 range, and I found a nice deal on one that wouldn't be a big deal if Topps decided to poop in the bed. They've done buyback stamps for a couple years, and they look like this:

$(KGrHqV,!qEFHgKTnHKuBR89w(6),w~~60_57.JPG

74f79a97-e985-4187-82b2-33a0799318e2.jpg

So what did topps send out for these 1:47,000 redemptions this year?

2013bazookabuybackromano_zps6712a0ae.jpg

No frame, nothing indicating it's part of a Heritage buyback set. Some nice pinholes in a stamp that probably wouldn't even sell for 99 cents. This was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm tired of playing the sucker for the new products Topps puts out. I'll enjoy working on my 2001-2010ish Heritage sets, but there is just no joy or satisfaction in trying to build these new Heritage sets as they come out. I enjoy those older sets, and that's what's great about collecting. We all enjoy different stuff, and we all find our niche eventually.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
That is XXXXing weak. Absolutely pathetic. I can only hope Topps and ANYONE associated with them gets deployed to Syria, Pakistan or the sun, because they don't give two XXXXs about the customer or even the feedback the public has. XXXX TOPPS !

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
What the hell is Topps doing? Are they losing their minds? That is completely unacceptable and embarrassing.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
That is XXXXing weak. Absolutely pathetic. I can only hope Topps and ANYONE associated with them gets deployed to Syria, Pakistan or the sun, because they don't give two XXXXs about the customer or even the feedback the public has. XXXX TOPPS !

Yes, it was atrocious what they considered to be an acceptable redemption fulfillment. But that response is WAY out of line.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
it's hyperbole

it's fine as long as it's directed at a company and not a person

It's still uncalled for; the only thing I was even pointing out.....

I can't believe the stamp has pinholes in it. Are you going to placing a call to them Tuesday morning?

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I've got a redemption pending for an A&G dual cabinet relic. Things like the stamp redemption worry me.

sharktitanfan

Aug 31, 2008
Geez - I'm so sorry. That is simply unacceptable. I've heard the only way to get a somewhat acceptable result is to open a case with the Better Business Bureau. Good luck if you choose to open the case. Honestly, that is just disheartening.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What the hell is Topps doing? Are they losing their minds? That is completely unacceptable and embarrassing.
Exactly what I was thinking.
That's why I prefer to remember the good old days of Topps and collect mostly '50s through '90s cards and ignore most current cards except for the occasional cards of my favorite players.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, it was atrocious what they considered to be an acceptable redemption fulfillment. But that response is WAY out of line.

Please don't comment on anything that isn't related to baseball and baseball cards. If you're truly offended by this comment, tell a MOD. It's these EXACT types of off-topic comments that derail a thread. I shouldn't even be responding to you here. If you're looking for an example of what NOT to do, here it is. DO NOT respond to me in this thread either. PM me or start a whole new thread about it over in the General chat section.

As to the topic at hand, I CANNOT believe Topps would send that jacked-up thing. It would be worth a call to find out if it wasn't a mistake (knowing it's not) and then expressing your displeasure.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I honestly don't even care enough to pursue it further. It is what it is. If I had paid $150 or so for this redemption (which a lot of people did), I would be fuming. But I only paid the amount that I was ok with gambling away. So I lost, and I'm fine with that.

It would have been nice if it were in a frame, even in the condition it's in. There's a seller on ebay listing some who obviously had 10-12 redemptions and lost his ass.

1964 Topps Buy Back Bazooka Stamp Harmon Killebrew Twins | eBay

Topps obviously bought a couple of full sheets of these, and tore them apart to make the redemptions.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Oooooooooh, I wanna play.

I'll make believe and be a Topps lover who sees nothing ever wrong with the company.

So, mudflap, it's YOUR fault for assuming this year's would be like previous years.

Did the redemption read that the stamp would be bordered, numbered and in nice shape? Noooooooo it didn't.

Did Topps make you or anyone else pay $100 for a mystery redemption? Noooooo they didn't.

Ok, so now I'm playing myself:
What a ducked up piece of XXXX stamp they had the balls to send you.

It's not like these things are rare or pricey that they couldn't send you a star. For those odds, no one should get a common, let alone beat to crap one.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
All I can say is wow. I cant believe a company would pull such a lame stunt. I am getting to the point I haven't bought many newer packs or boxes lately. Its just not worth it. I may buy the team sets or cards for players I collect. Its just no fun putting Topps sets together with the redemptions and the horrible collating in boxes. MLB needs to let some other companies have licensing because it is obvious that Topps could give a rats A$$ about the collectors out there.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Jeff, you should not let that go. That's complete and utter BS on Topps' part - they need to explain themselves and make it right for you.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Jeff, you should not let that go. That's complete and utter BS on Topps' part - they need to explain themselves and make it right for you.

The best way I can make it right is to not buy any more new product. They delivered exactly what was promised on the redemption. But for 1:47,000 odds, with what I would guess is less than 50 redemptions like this in the entire product, it's pretty weak. Lesson learned. Like I said, I don't even care enough to make a stink over it. I love the products they make when they put effort into it, but when the effort is gone, so is the money I would spend on new product.

Latest posts