Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you do if you think you see a fake auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiebytheCubs

Dec 2, 2012
Chicago suburbs/Ohio
About 2 weeks ago an auto of my PC guy popped up on ebay for a really good price, but it didn't sell. It was relisted and recently expired without being sold again. Now, I'm not an expert on autographs but when I looked at the sig on the card it seemed to have slight variations from other Santo autos. It is an IP/TTM auto and looking at the seller's feedback there was one instance before where they sold an auto that turn out to be fake but refunded the money. So what do you do here? I'm not 100% sure it's fake but it just seems a little off.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Well, it depends on how good you are at recognizing his auto. In some instances a players in person auto (say at a game) is different than a sit down sign a sticker type of auto. A sellers reputation helps, but without being the person who got the autograph personally, you will never know if its real or not because any schmo can make a certificate of authenticity.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
If you really wanna see something odd, check the latest page in the Barry Bonds thread. Some horrible fakes, plus an ebay link to a certified one that you would think was a fake.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/baseball/124545-official-barry-bonds-collectors-thread-7.html

Heres the certified one from ebay. Looks horrible, but it says certified on the card. Who really knows?

$T2eC16J,!)IFIfG5)wj0BSLh2HU7,Q~~60_57.JPG

DiebytheCubs

Dec 2, 2012
Chicago suburbs/Ohio
If you really wanna see something odd, check the latest page in the Barry Bonds thread. Some horrible fakes, plus an ebay link to a certified one that you would think was a fake.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/baseball/124545-official-barry-bonds-collectors-thread-7.html

Heres the certified one from ebay. Looks horrible, but it says certified on the card. Who really knows?

$T2eC16J,!)IFIfG5)wj0BSLh2HU7,Q~~60_57.JPG

Geez, that looks like something my little cousin could do. I would be PO'd if I pulled that

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Original auto prob faded and some one decided to try and forge it...

Bingo.

Usually I don't do anything but may send a pm to fellow Bagwell collectors for a good laugh. There isn't much I can do because I can't prove it's not legit and in reality, neither could PSA or anyone else. About the only time they could is by checking it using dating methods but that does little for current or still living players. Otherwise, everything is really just an opinion.

Members online

Latest posts