Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What card store did you go to growing up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
What were the names of the card stores you went to growing up?

Maybe a few others here went to it also.

For me it was dragon's den in Yonkers ny.

The original store was really big as they also dealt with comics and during the boom around 1987, 20/20 even went there to do an episode about cards.

There were a couple of locations either because of expansion or because they moved.

It was always a treat when my parents let me go.

The other was fantasia which was located in scarsdale ny, a little further up than dragon's den.

That place was super small.

I didn't go there too often because it was further away.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
JJ Newberry and Woolworth's department stores.
Market St in Sunbury, PA.
Both are looong gone.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
"Comics and Collectibles" in Sacramento, CA. They've changed locations and owners, but are still around. I first started going there 26 or so years ago.

I haven't really been back since, oh, 15 years ago, when they were blowing out a lot of their sports merchandise and seemed to be trying to make more room for the guys who were playing Warhammer (or other model based games) as well as tables for card gamers.

Last edited:

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I grew up in the 70's....our card stores were any drug store that sold cards where we could spend our paper route money! I did not see a proper card store until years later.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Talkin Baseball in downtown Danville, CA. I was there first day it opened and it's still going strong from what I hear.

Last edited:

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
TnT in Monroeville, PA. That was when I started collecting Jack Clark cards. As a 14-year old in 1987, I thought it was awesome every time I walked in and the owner would yell, "Here's Jack Clark!!!"

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
A little store you may of heard of called Pacific Trading Cards in Lynnwood, Washington...Get on 192nd, and turn right at the 2nd Kentucky Fried Chicken!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Stop'N Go on 14th and Heights Boulevard. K-Mart on 18th street. And some card shop out in memorial city mall as a teenager when I could get a ride.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Lanny's card shop, owned by Lanny Phillips

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I blew a lot of cash in Jennings Collectibles in Huntsville. I wish I knew what happened to his stock when he finally closed the store.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I went to the Dragon's Den in Yonkers as well. I remember my father first buying me Marvel Cards from there back in 1991. Most of the baseball cards bought for me were from supermarkets, pharmacies and other retail outlets.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Talkin Baseball in downtown Danville, CA.

Me too, but the bullpen was open first though.

I'm still friends with Ken, but it's been a while.
The best days were when sadek worked there.
We all had a lot of fun. If you still go there, tell Ken Greg Siebert said HI.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Grandslam Sports Cards in Manor East Mall Bryan, TX I was sad to see them close. I think they opened around 1990 and closed around 1997. Man I cried when that place closed down. I always wanted to find the owners to see what they did with all the inventory.

Bryan/College Station had 2 other shops that opened up afterwards but closed before 2000.

Their is a Lytles Comics shop is still open and they sold wax and still has over priced boxes from 1989-1994.

Comic shops seem to be able to last even thru hard times where cards shops seem to close quickly in most of the 8 areas/cities I have lived in. DFW being the exception there are 4 card stores left that have been open for probably 10-20 years each. DFW also has several great comic shops, the one I went to went out of business though.

Members online

Latest posts