Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Joe Mauer...your Minnesota Twins starting first baseman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Joe Mauer will transition to 1st base in 2014

The Twins announced today that they will move All-Star catcher Joe Mauer from behind the plate to first base in 2014. After consultation with doctors, and given the inherent risks of future injury at the catcher position, the organization and Joe determined that it would be in the best interest of both him and the Twins for a position change.

Mauer has played 56 career games at first base committing just four errors in 536 total chances for a .993 fielding percentage. Mauer has caught in 920 games and
earned three Rawlings Gold Glove Awards at catcher (2008-10). He was named American League MVP while winning his third batting title in 2009 and has made six trips to the All-Star Game, four as the American League's starting catcher.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Only for Mauer would a position change require a press release
Huh? That would be news for any big star.
You don't think it would be news if Derek Jeter moved to the outfield?
Or Mike Trout moved to first base?
Or Yadier Molina moved to first?
Or any other star made a big time switch when he was among the best at his position?
And any player, no matter how good, would have a news story and press release in at least that teams' home newspaper and website.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
In order to have a longer baseball career, it seems fitting that a catcher would have to move eventually. For the catchers that never left their position behind the plate, does anyone have a career longevity comparison? Would be interesting to see...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In order to have a longer baseball career, it seems fitting that a catcher would have to move eventually. For the catchers that never left their position behind the plate, does anyone have a career longevity comparison? Would be interesting to see...
Carlton Fisk played catcher for 24 season, including his final season at age 45.
He must have had knees of steel.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
I think this was the best move that they could have made. It keeps his bad in the lineup more days during the season and will help extend his career. Yes, he was an All-Star catcher and probably won't be as valuable playing 1B, but he is the best hitter that we have and better than Colabello, Parmelee, or any other 1B we could have signed. Now I wonder if we go out and sign a veteran FA C for 1 season and keep Pinto developing or if we hand him the job. His contract is what makes this situation interesting. A lot of people didn't like the amount we paid him for his marginal power, but you can't really take that into consideration now after the fact. The Twins should have known that he would have to move to 1B eventually and his offensive numbers wouldn't be as valuable, so that one is a mistake by them.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Good for his career, bad for anyone who is sitting on his stuff for future gains. He's much more valuable in the hobby as a catcher. But, great for him and the Twins.

Not sure I agree so much. If he puts up great numbers at first base the hobby will still recognize him. However, as long as he is on Minnesota I don't think he really will see any sort of increase in value unless he starts breaking records.

Its just very difficult to make big gains on guys who are established on small market teams unless they are traded or go somewhere else.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Not sure I agree so much. If he puts up great numbers at first base the hobby will still recognize him. However, as long as he is on Minnesota I don't think he really will see any sort of increase in value unless he starts breaking records.

Its just very difficult to make big gains on guys who are established on small market teams unless they are traded or go somewhere else.

I guess I was talking more about the end of his career. Catcher is a much more valuable position than 1st base and he would be a 1st ballot HOFer if he finished his career as a catcher. Now, who knows. If he plays the remaining majority of his career at 1st, he may have a harder time getting Hall consideration, thus devaluing his cards. Just thoughts.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I guess I was talking more about the end of his career. Catcher is a much more valuable position than 1st base and he would be a 1st ballot HOFer if he finished his career as a catcher. Now, who knows. If he plays the remaining majority of his career at 1st, he may have a harder time getting Hall consideration, thus devaluing his cards. Just thoughts.
Oh okay. i agree with you there. I think he easily would've gotten into the hall at catcher. 1B has much more options and will be harder.

I thought you were talking about present day. My bad!

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Or any other star made a big time switch when he was among the best at his position?
And any player, no matter how good, would have a news story and press release in at least that teams' home newspaper and website.

I don't think this is a major shock as Mauer has not only played there, it's been rumored as well

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
You could have just pointed out arod making the switch

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online