Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What More Does Mike Trout Have To Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Lost MVP to Miggy again.

He had a better 2013 than 2012, yet garnered less 1st place votes than last year.

I guess he needs to cure cancer to win MVP.

(BTW, someone actually gave him a 7th place vote. *******.)

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Lost MVP to Miggy again.

He had a better 2013 than 2012, yet garnered less 1st place votes than last year.

It further validates the stance that MVP voting depends in how far your team goes.

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
Lost MVP to Miggy again.

To be fair, the bolded could be said about the guy who beat him both times. There are other ways to reasonably say that Trout was more deserving, but that's not one of them.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
It further validates the stance that MVP voting depends in how far your team goes.

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.

More like: extra credit for being the best player on a team that makes the playoffs.

How far they got doesn't factor in since voting is done before the playoffs, I'm believe.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
When have 2/3 of the triple crown down again and the only thing keeping you from another is a career year out of some guy no one heard of before this year ... Yeah your going to win mvp

Sent from my iPhone

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I think this year's vote is in line with last year. The MVP voters clearly do not value defense and baserunning to the degree that WAR and other sabremetric statistics do. In addition, there is a value associated with being on a winning team. As a Tigers fan, my vote is biased but it would have gone to Cabrera as I believe he was even better than last year.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Cheated? Really? Guess all 30 BBWAA members are cheaters then, 'cause not a single one of them gave Goldschmidt a 1st-place vote. Taking nothing away from Goldschmidt's fantastic season, McCutcheon was the clear and easy choice. Great offensive season, and played great defense at a more important and demanding position. The Pirates could not have competed without 'Cutch, while the Diamondbacks ultimately didn't compete despite Goldschmidt's efforts.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
Once again, narrative and how good one's teammates are play a bigger role than "value". It is a fun game to play when you can change the parameters every year to fit your pre-determined conclusion. One of the big arguments for Miggy last year from the voters and many on this board was how amazing Cabrera was the last 6 weeks of the year versus Trout because of the twisted logic that a game in September means more to the final standings than a game in May. Yet Cabrera was basically useless the last six weeks this year but his MVP supporters will conveniently change their rationale based on some other cherry picked data. Yes, he was injured but he still needs to be evaluated on a body of work over 162 games. Not bashing Cabrera by any means - the guy is probably the best right handed hitter I've ever seen. But Trout was the better, and more valuable, player the past two years. Just had the misfortune of playing on a lesser team in a tougher division.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Wait for Cabrera to retire. This should be Cabreras 3rd in a row.

Last edited:

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
Once again, narrative and how good one's teammates are play a bigger role than "value". It is a fun game to play when you can change the parameters every year to fit your pre-determined conclusion. One of the big arguments for Miggy last year from the voters and many on this board was how amazing Cabrera was the last 6 weeks of the year versus Trout because of the twisted logic that a game in September means more to the final standings than a game in May. Yet Cabrera was basically useless the last six weeks this year but his MVP supporters will conveniently change their rationale based on some other cherry picked data. Yes, he was injured but he still needs to be evaluated on a body of work over 162 games. Not bashing Cabrera by any means - the guy is probably the best right handed hitter I've ever seen. But Trout was the better, and more valuable, player the past two years. Just had the misfortune of playing on a lesser team in a tougher division.

I don't recall that being one of the main arguments for Cabrera last year. Care to back up the assertion with some links? I'm open to some proof.

Cabrera's stats in Sept '12 was right in line with about four other months of his stats that season.

Members online

Latest posts