Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Challenge for BG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluesBroSJ

Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
BG, please share your side of why you cant logos on a card and what you have done to try and get logos on a card

Thanks you

You must be new here, or, to piggyback on prior posts, in WAY over your head.

In the posts above what part of TOPPS HAS THE EXCLUSIVE didn't register in your brain?
Topps offered MLB a XXXXTON of money to keep any competitor (UD, Panini, Leaf, Joe's banana sport card company) to use MLB logos on their cards. That's why he can't use logos.

I feel like you are trying to jump on the bash BG / Leaf train and missed. Badly. Or just trying to troll. And if that's what you are going for, well done, you drew a response from me.

You must be new here, or, to piggyback on prior posts, in WAY over your head.

In the posts above what part of TOPPS HAS THE EXCLUSIVE didn't register in your brain?
Topps offered MLB a XXXXTON of money to keep any competitor (UD, Panini, Leaf, Joe's banana sport card company) to use MLB logos on their cards. That's why he can't use logos.

I feel like you are trying to jump on the bash BG / Leaf train and missed. Badly. Or just trying to troll. And if that's what you are going for, well done, you drew a response from me.

Giving them a bunch of money doesnt make their product better.

If someone had an idea and gave a bunch of money to said company, and I had a better idea, I would go to said company and prove my idea is better.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
If you (BG) are unhappy with your boss (Topps) and you think you have a great idea (logos on cards), you go to your boss (Topps) and you sit them down and explain or show how your idea (logos on cards) is better than the current idea (Topps) and have other employees or customers (us collectors) voice their opinions as well.

Will it work all the time? No

Is it worth a try? Hell yes

This is basic business practice, and one that we do where I work. If I have an idea, I go to my boss and explain how my idea will better the company and the customers.

Not sure why you guys dont understand this but thats ok :)

I think my two year old has a better grasp on this. What part if EXCLUSIVE licensing contract means BG will get anywhere before 2020? That's what you don't get. A contract is in place. A contract is a legal, binding, document that comes with repercussion if it is broken. That's the gist of it. BG can negotiate all he wants. He's wasting his breath until 2020. Let it soak in. Think about it.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos

If someone had an idea and gave a bunch of money to said company, and I had a better idea, I would go to said company and prove my idea is better.

Wait, do you actually think Leaf is part of Topps?

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS

Why go when the other company has an exclusive contract with the company that you want to go to? See how your thought process lacks the thought?

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
So Wendy's should go to mcDonalds to sell their burgers, cuz they think their Wendy's burgers are better than MickeyDs?

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Dude, I just don't think he's gunna get it, I'm done here

I agree. Feel like I've been explaining this to my cat.

It's sad that a thread, with good intentions, gets turned into the "no logo" BS. I'm so tired of hearing about logos. It doesn't bother me that they aren't there, but I'm not gonna XXXXX at the people it does bother. Ridiculous!

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I can't tell if BiggioBrooks is the greatest troll ever, or the dumbest cluck on the boards.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
[MENTION=8332]BiggioBrooks755[/MENTION] you are the dumbest person on the boards since StrasburgMania. This forum will be better once you are no longer on it. You have somehow become the flag barer for incompetents online. The bandwagon of Leaf haters seems to be fairly empty, however even they are making you run along side of the wagon because no one can make sense of anything you say. You have positively no grasp on any aspect of this hobby other than somehow getting people to give you cards twice a week. My challenge to BiggioBrooks755 is think before you make yourself sound dumber than you already have. Thanks, Darron Hicks.

[MENTION=8332]BiggioBrooks755[/MENTION] you are the dumbest person on the boards since StrasburgMania. This forum will be better once you are no longer on it. You have somehow become the flag barer for incompetents online. The bandwagon of Leaf haters seems to be fairly empty, however even they are making you run along side of the wagon because no one can make sense of anything you say. You have positively no grasp on any aspect of this hobby other than somehow getting people to give you cards twice a week. My challenge to BiggioBrooks755 is think before you make yourself sound dumber than you already have. Thanks, Darron Hicks.

Would you mind naming those people? Thank you :)

I am confused on this part...So Topps gave money to MLB in order to have their product be the only one with logos and team names, even though Leaf and other companies (UD, Playoff, Donruss, ect) could produce better looking cards with logos and team names, which would make collectors buy more products, thus making MLB even more money?

Is this not a correct statement?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I am confused on this part...So Topps gave money to MLB in order to have their product be the only one with logos and team names, even though Leaf and other companies (UD, Playoff, Donruss, ect) could produce better looking cards with logos and team names, which would make collectors buy more products, thus making MLB even more money?

Basically the gist. MLB and Topps came to terms on an EXCLUSIVE contract for certain rights.

Don't take some of the criticism from some too serious , but when you want to discuss topics , knowing the basic details may help ;)

BG (Leaf) has nothing to do w Topps (other than competitor). It's MLB that is the issue , it's not Topps fault.

Ryan

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012

I'm not jumping on this thread to bash you like some, but I want you to think about a couple things.

First, like everyone here has stated, Topps and MLB have a contract for about 8 more years. That means Leaf has to wait 8 years before it can compete for a share of the licensing. If Leaf could simply talk to MLB and gain licensing rights tomorrow, and then turn around and make cards with logos that will directly compete with Topps for your and my baseball card money, do you think Topps would like that? I'm guessing not, and they would likely sue MLB for breach of contract. I'm sure BG has every intention of positioning Leaf so that they might have an opportunity to gain MLB licensing AFTER the current contract ends, but all he can do for now is try to make a great product (w/o logos) and try to increase profits because profits are likely what would pay for a MLB license deal after Topps' current contract has ended.

Now consider the profit aspect of that. In a perfect world, MLB would let any company use logos as long as the company used the logos/names respectfully and also put out a nice product. But this isn't a perfect world. You mentioned the business world earlier...in the business world, money talks. Right now, both Leaf and Topps make a nice product, but Topps has a hell of a lot more money than Leaf does. What if you were like MLB in a way because you created some clever cartoon sketches and gave them all a bunch of clever names. Then all of a sudden Leaf and Topps came to you and said they wanted to sell posters with your cartoon sketches on them. They both show you cool looking poster ideas, but then Leaf offers you some money, and then Topps offers to pay you 4 times what Leaf will pay you. To go one step further, Topps offers you 10 times what Leaf offered you if you let Topps exclusively sell your character posters. If it was a take it or leave it deal, what would you do? I'm guessing you would shake hands with Topps and tell Leaf to get lost, wouldn't you? Most of us would. Based on my example, can you see how it might be difficult for these smaller companies to sign a deal with MLB?

Okay, now consider a solution to Leaf's problem. How can leaf make more money and have a chance at a contract with MLB? For starters, they can make a great product, which they do! However, there's a large number of collectors out there that don't like how Leaf cards don't have team names and logos. Many hate it so much that they refuse to buy Leaf cards until Leaf puts logos on them. Do you see my point? If YOU, BiggioBrooks755, keep putting money in Topps' pockets and refusing to support Leaf (or any other company that can't use logos), you are giving Tools more money for the next contract in 2022, and at the same time you are part of the reason Leaf will not be able to grow and make more money and compete with Topps for MLB rights. BG and Leaf are holding up their end by making cool cards like that Correa you posted a link to earlier in this thread, but you, the collector, are not holding up your end by financially supporting the product. It really is your own fault, and the fault of everyone who refuses to buy logo-less cards, that Leaf can't use logos.

You will find this to be true of many things in life, like elections, for example. You can complain you don't like a candidate but if you don't vote against him and he wins, you and everyone like you let him win.

I really don't know how else to explain it where it would make any more sense. If you just don't care to buy a logo-less Leaf product and you could care less if Leaf ever signs a contract with MLB, then that's totally fine, but then you really should respect that such a mindset helps to create the problem in the first place, and you should ease up on the criticism. Some of us DO like Leaf and will continue to buy Leaf, and we all have our own reasons, and I would hope you could respect those reasons the way we (SOME of us) respect your reason for NOT buying it.

(I typed that whole reply on my cellphone while sitting on the pot, so it's probably riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes. If I have time I'll make corrections later. Otherwise, those of you who hate unproofread messages will have to deal with it :))

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

No members online now.