Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on value of autographed cards of players who didn't sign much, but now sign frequently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I understand certain players have had their issues with autographs over the years. In some cases now, it's an opportunity for the older players to generate income, so it seems like they are signing everything. I only collect one guy, one sport, so my knowledge of what other scarce players isn't very vast. But it's cool to read about even say Posada, I wouldn't have thought he would be a tough auto to get, nor him command a high premium.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The guys who refuse to sign intrigue me too. I think it would be a great way to show appreciation for fans and a decent way to make some money for yourself or a charity if you so chose to do so. There are so many toughies for one reason or another (death, refusal, in hiding, flat out won't sign, won't sign certain things, etc). It is fascinating to think a guy who played ball in the past would not like the attention and appreciation that brings, but to each their own.

Being a Dodger collector, those handful of still living guys who make having full team sets are the most frustrating. Guys like Marshall, Andy Messersmith, Mike Kekich, Vicente Romo, Ricky Wright and a pool of other no-name obscure dudes who just seem to not exist in the autograph market for one reason or another (Bob O'Brien, Noe Munoz, Kevin Pasley, etc).

I ended up picking up a Mike Marshall 8x10 from Main Line, after they'd bought out a bunch of Potter's stock, a couple years ago for $150. Figured I wouldn't see anything lower than that anytime soon. I'm not sure why I'm intrigued by tough signers, but I am. I guess I want to understand the reasons behind each one's stance. At least with Bill Russell, his reasoning was supposedly that personal interaction, handshake, or conversation should be considered much more meaningful than quickly scribbling a name on something. Those guys I think I can respect much more than guys who don't sign because they have blanket assumptions about everybody being dealers.

WaxPax

Not sure if you could put Piazza in this mix or not. I don't think he's had a pack pull auto since 2005, but he is on the autograph circuit at shows. I haven't really followed his autograph value, I just know they were pricey due to minimal quantities.....

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
2 Players that still don't sign frequently and really don't see them signing a ton anytime soon are Jeff Kent and Charles Barkley

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Piazza has had some sticker autos in recent Leaf products. but agree, generally not a lot of certified autos in licensed products.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Part of the reason the price of the autographs is getting lower, in addition to more signatures, is because they're now on unlicensed cards, like Panini and Leaf.
Many collectors, like me, don't want autographs on cards with airbrushed photos because they look bad, so we either pay less, or don't buy them at all.

I'd gladly pay much more for a 2004 Fleer Rickey Henderson autograph than any current non-licensed Rickey autograph. In fact, I won't even buy unlicensed cards because I don't like how they look.
I'm not a completionist player collector, so I buy and collect what looks aestetically pleasing, and I think blank airbrushed hats and uniforms look terrible.

So the supply may be greater, but the demand necessarily is not.

So you would rather have this sticker auto..

$_57.JPG

then this on card auto..

nt45.jpg

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I've enjoyed the discount in pricing on Rickey Henderson autographs. I've even picked up some duplicates because of it.

Members online

Latest posts