Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FCBs own Hometown Heroes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Two of the most notable athletes from my hometown, Decatur IL, are Bill Matlock (went to his wedding) and some dude named George Halas the NYY right fielder prior to the hot dog eating champ Babe Ruth.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I will sometimes share that Aaron Sele, former MLB pitcher, went to my high school. For a brief partial season, we were teammates. I know he was born in another state, but grew up and graduated HS with me (he was 1 year behind my grade). I have a couple early "souvenirs" that contain baseball related images:

My senior yearbook (his junior year):

Also on this team: Kasey Dunn had a short, but decent CFL career before an injury ended it and has worked at the coaching level in the NFL, including the Seahawks briefly. Kirk Parrish is currently employed by the Hawks front office too. I believe his role is Scouting director or draft talent coordinator or something like that.

I also have this little league program from 1981. I was not living in the same town as him then, so we would have been competitors, but I got the major snub that year and didn't make the AS Team (my best year in LL).

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Merced CA

MLB
Doug Fister
Brian Fuentes
Curtis Partch
Bill Mooneyham (retired)

NBA
Ray Allen - born at Castle AFB, a former SAC base just outside of town
Bruce Bowen - born & raised in Merced
Gerald Madkins (former player and current director of basketball operations for the Clippers)

One of my favorite authors, Daniel Silva, also grew up in Merced.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Houston. So I'd count the greater Houston area.

Josh Barfield
Kyle Drabek
Josh Beckett
Roger Clemens(went to high school here)
Andy Petitte (also went to high school here)
Paul Goldschmidt
Matt Purke
Anthony Rendon
Nolan Ryan (Alvin, but Alvin isn't far at all from Houston so I'll count it)
Brandon Backe
Carl Crawford
Robbie Grossman

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
I played basketball and am friends with jason witten and jeff reed baseball player leaves in and played his rookie baseball in the great town of elizabethton, tn

arexcrooke

Dec 1, 2013
Lenoir, NC
Monroe NC has seen Jeff McNeely get a cup of coffee with the Red Sox. He actually came to one of our practices when I was a jr.
Also had John Tsitouris who played mainly for the reds in the 60s.
Going back to the late 40s and 50s we had Gil Coan.
Football wise we had Richard Huntley who was a senior when I was a freshman. Wow was he amazing! He played for the Steelers and Panthers over about a 6 year career.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I was born in Milwaukee but consider my hometown to be Gurnee, IL. We didn't have any major athletes come out of my school, but a couple neighboring towns produced some guys. Scott Stahoviak (Twins 1B) and Bill Krueger (LHP for many teams) came out of Waukegan (along with many other guys from way back in the day, including a guy named Johnny Dickshot...hehehe). Tim Unroe (Brewers 1B) came out of Round Lake Beach. And although he wasn't born in Libertyville, Brett Butler went to high school there and was a reserve on the Libertyville High School team that finished 2nd in the State tourney.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Ryan Vogelson is from our hometown HS.

And our County never had a NFL QB, and now has 4. Matt Schaub, Matty Ice, Pat Devlin and Ryan Nassib...

stokelydokely

Oct 21, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
Such notable names as Frank Bahret, Frank Beck, Bill Daley, Buttons Briggs, Elmer Steele, Mickey McDermott, Fred Lasher, Tommy Boggs, Ricky Horton, Frank Cimorelli, Jeff Pierce, and Dan Gallagher all hail from my hometown of Poughkeepsie, NY. Bahret, Beck, Cimorelli, and Pierce all played in the majors for one season or less. Thanks Wikipedia!

A snippet of McDermott's Wikipedia entry:
"Before 1961, Detroit gave McDermott his unconditional release. He signed with the St. Louis Cardinals as a free agent. After divorcing his first wife, McDermott met Linda Biggio, who would become his second wife. After being out late one night, he invited Linda to his room. The hotel detective saw her dressed in a Hawaiian muumuu and said, "You can't bring that ****** into your room!" McDermott punched the detective in the mouth and was subsequently released by the Cardinals."

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
Carson City NV

Donovan Osborne - pitcher multiple teams. As an aside, one of my best friends is married to his ex

Charlie Kerfeld - pitcher Astros

Matt Williams - 3b Giants Diamondbacks Indians and now a MLB manager. Just met Matt a couple months ago at a fundraiser for a local JC baseball team. Great guy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online