Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tell me some of your favorite inserts sets that don't seem to get much hobby love.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
There are quite a few insert sets I like collecting but they never seem to get much recognition from the hobby overall. Some of these include:

2003 UD 40-Man Rainbow:
739.original.jpg

A set filled with good photography and a large checklist. All cards serial #ed /40.

2005 UD Reflections Emerald:
284.original.jpg

I personally love the look of this set and the emeralds (serial #ed /25) are a nice parallel.

2005 Topps Rookie Cup Blue:

99.original.jpg

Aside from this being Troy Tulowitzkis only '05 autograph issue set, the base set was of every Topps Gold Rookie since the 70's. Set design was simple and the blue are serial #ed /50.

What are some sets you like?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I started collecting the Reflections Emerald set back then. I was obsessed for a long time with completing #/25-or-so sets. I gave up before too long. They were actually kind of tough to find relative to other brands. And I actually thought the reds and purples were nicer looking at higher #/x. But I still have a few of them.

One of my all-time favorite inserts is the 2005 Origins Old Judge Gold set. 200 cards in the main set, and they added 86 cards in the UD Prospects 5-brand product whatever it was called. The regular Old Judges with the green borders and the red and blue parallels were not visually appearling, but the brown borders with the sepia photos are beautiful. Still looking for Chris Burke, I don't think I've mentioned yet this week.
$_12.JPG

Some of my other faves are:
1994 SP Holoview Red die-cut. Popular for the A-Rod, Griffey, and Jordan, but is a really sweet set of the era. Too bad they couldn't include Bonds and Thomas (which I think were the ones preventing it from being a round 40-card set).
$_12.JPG

1997 Leaf Pennant Craze. Die-cuts, felty surface, top-notch checklist.
$_12.JPG

1990-1994-ish Upper Deck Heroes from all sports
$_3.JPG

Great sets focusing on a different player in each set. Starting with Reggie Jackson in the 1990 set with the first autographed cards, they did 10-card sets Hank Aaron, Nolan Ryan, Ted Williams, Bench & Morgan, I think a couple others. The sets used the same design, and were numbered consecutively across the years, so Jackson was 1-9, Ryan was 10-18, Williams was 19-27, etc. They also did guys like Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Wayne Gretzky, and Wilt, obviously. Inserted usually 1:9 packs, they were fun and not too expensive to chase, with the header card usually being somewhat harder to find. Then in 1993 they messed it up by changing it to just another insert set with 10 different guys, then later they made them more of a chase with serial numbering. They resurrect the design every once in a while, like in 2010 with Joe DiMaggio, but the charm is gone. These just look great in binder pages, although the 10th header card is a pain aesthetically.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Just curious, but does much of the hobby distinguish between inserts and parallels anymore? To me, all three of these are not insert sets. They're parallel sets of the base set. Inserts to me were always a different design than the base set, with a different theme.

My favorite insert sets are 1997 Donruss Team Leaders (like the die cut to the player's face contour), Pacific die-cuts shaped like gloves, batting cages and foul poles (several sets), and 2005 Studio Portraits.

There are quite a few insert sets I like collecting but they never seem to get much recognition from the hobby overall. Some of these include:

2003 UD 40-Man Rainbow:
739.original.jpg

A set filled with good photography and a large checklist. All cards serial #ed /40.

2005 UD Reflections Emerald:
284.original.jpg

I personally love the look of this set and the emeralds (serial #ed /25) are a nice parallel.

2005 Topps Rookie Cup Blue:

99.original.jpg

Aside from this being Troy Tulowitzkis only '05 autograph issue set, the base set was of every Topps Gold Rookie since the 70's. Set design was simple and the blue are serial #ed /50.

What are some sets you like?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I've always loved the 1994 Ted Williams Dan Gardiner Collection, I imagine having the complete set in PSA 10 form some day...

dj1.png

Last edited:

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Just curious, but does much of the hobby distinguish between inserts and parallels anymore? To me, all three of these are not insert sets. They're parallel sets of the base set. Inserts to me were always a different design than the base set, with a different theme.

My favorite insert sets are 1997 Donruss Team Leaders (like the die cut to the player's face contour), Pacific die-cuts shaped like gloves, batting cages and foul poles (several sets), and 2005 Studio Portraits.

I guess it's a toss up of words. Inserts to me are anything inserted into packs that aren't part of the base set. Technically yes they are parallels and not officially "inserts" per se.

On the topic of true inserts, here's a set I love:

2002 Upper Deck 40 Man Lumber Yard:
LY17.original.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
1998 Ultra Win Now, 1997 Fleer In The Zone, 1997 Metal Mother Lode.

All three of these are very awesome looking and I'm grateful Bagwell is in all three sets even though I've tried to get every player I can in all three sets. Honorable mentions are the pacific ornaments and diecut glove cards they made(fielder's choice).

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I started collecting the Reflections Emerald set back then. I was obsessed for a long time with completing #/25-or-so sets. I gave up before too long. They were actually kind of tough to find relative to other brands. And I actually thought the reds and purples were nicer looking at higher #/x. But I still have a few of them.

One of my all-time favorite inserts is the 2005 Origins Old Judge Gold set. 200 cards in the main set, and they added 86 cards in the UD Prospects 5-brand product whatever it was called. The regular Old Judges with the green borders and the red and blue parallels were not visually appearling, but the brown borders with the sepia photos are beautiful. Still looking for Chris Burke, I don't think I've mentioned yet this week.
$_12.JPG

Some of my other faves are:
1994 SP Holoview Red die-cut. Popular for the A-Rod, Griffey, and Jordan, but is a really sweet set of the era. Too bad they couldn't include Bonds and Thomas (which I think were the ones preventing it from being a round 40-card set).
$_12.JPG

1997 Leaf Pennant Craze. Die-cuts, felty surface, top-notch checklist.
$_12.JPG

1990-1994-ish Upper Deck Heroes from all sports
$_3.JPG

Great sets focusing on a different player in each set. Starting with Reggie Jackson in the 1990 set with the first autographed cards, they did 10-card sets Hank Aaron, Nolan Ryan, Ted Williams, Bench & Morgan, I think a couple others. The sets used the same design, and were numbered consecutively across the years, so Jackson was 1-9, Ryan was 10-18, Williams was 19-27, etc. They also did guys like Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Wayne Gretzky, and Wilt, obviously. Inserted usually 1:9 packs, they were fun and not too expensive to chase, with the header card usually being somewhat harder to find. Then in 1993 they messed it up by changing it to just another insert set with 10 different guys, then later they made them more of a chase with serial numbering. They resurrect the design every once in a while, like in 2010 with Joe DiMaggio, but the charm is gone. These just look great in binder pages, although the 10th header card is a pain aesthetically.

I have always loved that Holoview set. I just found a handful of the baseball and a even larger pile of the football I had stashed away. I am going to work on the non-diecut set soon.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I agree with the red holoview set, and also the 1994 UD Diamond Collection, thd ones where there was an East, Central and West version. The west were pink, and the ones we pulled most often, being in the west, but the Central was an awesome set, too, especially since they were blue and had Jordan!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Here's an awesome '95 Fleer Pro Visions insert for Predatorkj.

Bagwell%2BFleer%2BPro%2BVisions%2BF.jpg

I love that card as does astroburn. But I was under the impression that a lot of people loved all the provision inserts. But they were just overproduced. The basketball and football ones are cool too. I have a slew of them and in some cases, the complete set.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I agree with the red holoview set, and also the 1994 UD Diamond Collection, thd ones where there was an East, Central and West version. The west were pink, and the ones we pulled most often, being in the west, but the Central was an awesome set, too, especially since they were blue and had Jordan!

There was a East West Central 1994 SP preview set also that I put together back then. Was a pain finding the east cards at the time being in Denver and the internet didn't exist.

Members online