Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brian Gray Sues the Industry Summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Brian's speech was by far the absolute and most memorable event from last year's conference.

I take this as topps, panini and the leagues have finally realized that leaf is a major major player with balls up the ***** and are afraid leaf will only get bigger!

I really was on the fence about going this March and this certainly didn't help.

Fight the fight bg!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I'm sure they're not, but why then are they trying to exclude him from everything if he isn't doing something to make them worry. He must be doing something right

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm sure they're not, but why then are they trying to exclude him from everything if he isn't doing something to make them worry. He must be doing something right

Or they're just sick of him being a massive douce, and his terrible business practices, such as adding THEIR cards into HIS proucts and passing them off as his own?!?!

There comes a point where people just say "screw this guy" and are done with him.

I'm honestly surprised there are so many apologists around here for this guy after all the crap he has pulled. I believe the only reason there are, is because he is active here posting.

Let's be honest, he's done more bad for the card industry than good.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Super Mario....how has he done more bad than good for the hobby?

Seriously, want to hear all opinions on this and I'll tell mine coming from a store owner.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom

Seriously, want to hear all opinions on this and I'll tell mine coming from a store owner.

Well for starters, all of the black eyes he has given to the hobby through his terrible business practices.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
Or they're just sick of him being a massive douce, and his terrible business practices, such as adding THEIR cards into HIS proucts and passing them off as his own?!?!

There comes a point where people just say "screw this guy" and are done with him.

I'm honestly surprised there are so many apologists around here for this guy after all the crap he has pulled. I believe the only reason there are, is because he is active here posting.

Let's be honest, he's done more bad for the card industry than good.

I like leaf products. I have done well with every sports product I bought from Leaf and I actively collect the Pop Century autos and his football releases give me an option to get current draft picks in their Notre Dame uniforms. I'm not apologizing for him because he posts here, I'm just a collector who likes Leaf products. If BG doesn't post here anymore, I'll still buy their products.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
I better watch out. He might file suit against me.

I Doubt he will...

Originally Posted by michaelstepper

Or they're just sick of him being a massive ******...

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009
I am just wondering after reading this thread if BG pissed in Super Mario's cereal or stole his girl.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Well for starters, all of the black eyes he has given to the hobby through his terrible business practices.

I'm leaving the narrow minded absolute black and white discussion with you.. I'll finish with saying I hope he wins, and in my opinion topps hasn't done much better in their business practices or quality of product. I own about 6 cards from the last 4 years and I'm not impressed by anything to come

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula

No matter what people may think of the Brian or Leaf products, I think it's hard to support either the "black eyes" or "terrible business practices" portions of your comments. People for sure buy Leaf products and they are well made. They fill redemptions faster than anyone, they have fewer redemptions than anyone. Products ship when they're supposed to. Topps completely screwed a lot of us that preordered Finest many months in advance last year as an example and I for sure lost a ton of money on that product as a result of the delay and the placement within a week of two other major products.

I think most people here are sophisticated enough to know the good and bad with Leaf products and Brian himself, but to say he's the problem and is bad for the hobby is just ignorant. He's trying to disrupt the hobby, not destroy it. And they care way more about the customer than any other company in the market. The way Topps has acted recently has me seriously considering shifting away from their products and going strictly old school.

Last edited:

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Anybody have cliff's notes on the speech...I don't have an hour

I usually listen to music during lunch. Today I listened to the speech. Cliff Notes:

1) Brian sees himself as saving the industry by revolutionizing trading cards, given customers what they want, and, at some point in the future, using the 1st Amendment as a way of producing cards of players, in uniform, with logos, without a league license (though he does have player licensing for every player he produces a card of) and protecting oneself from successfully being sued for doing so.

2) Brian is under the impression that the only meal # at McDonald's that is a bad choice is the #2 . News flash, Brian - all meal #'s at McDonalds become #2 s and they are all nasty and bad for you. If you take away nothing else from this post, take this to heart - STOP eating McDonalds food!!!

3) He speaks very honestly and I'm sure that is why he was rejected from attending this year's summit. I can see why other companies would protest against him being there. They probably didn't like the raw truth of the situation. Minute 23 of the video is probably all you need to hear to understand this.

4) Brian talked about the patch registry that he has and the redemption process, when necessary, and how they are changing it for the better for collectors. I'll agree - Leaf is strong on both of these issues and other companies could learn a lot from his work in these areas. Offering something to the customer that affords them protection against buying fake patch cards and some "excitement" for needed to get a redemption card in a pack are two fabulous ideas that could really work.

Other than that, it was primarily about "pimping" Leaf products and what they make and why dealers should sell them. He did say he personally is not a big fan of buy back products, but puts them out there because there is a market for them and they are one of their top movers.

I didn't get through the Q&A he did with customers, but he did mention CardCop and alluded to a few other message board folks as "a piece of work," regarding his Leaf Wrestling product and no cert of auth. on the back of the card. LOL!

Really Mike ???

If you love this man and what he represents in this industry - Why don't you carry his products in your store to sell ??

Oh that's right - because you have no customers that are willing to throw big money on his crap shoot products.....

I'm not talking about those blaster boxes or the holiday packs - and you're the only one to buy a case of draft ( if the price is right ) so that you could bust yourself.

Where's the best of baseball, football hockey leaf golf trinity masterworks game used jersey and pop century ????

Enough is Enough ....stop it already You talk as though he walks on water.... we get it - enough already

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
Like or hate BG and his company, the guy is there for his customers. I think people XXXXX more because if this.

It could be worse. You could be talking to a David Wright recording.