Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brian Gray Sues the Industry Summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
http://www.cardboardconnection.com/news/law-cards-leaf-sues-industry-summit
[MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION]

The gyst:

"Leaf claims its "banning" from the Summit was a breach of contract. A breach of contract action is, generally, an easy claim to understand. All that is required is 1) an offer, 2) acceptance and 3) consideration (i.e., payment). Here, Leaf contends 1) it was offered the opportunity to attend and have a booth at the Summit, 2) it accepted by registering and 3) it paid.

Leaf's breach of contract action is basically a, "Hey, I paid, you accepted, so I'm showing up," claim.

Open and shut? Not yet.

The reason behind Leaf's "banning" is that the Summit allegedly rebranded from an entire industry event, to a licensor/licensee event. Following from this, since Leaf is not licensed by the MLB, NFL, NHL, etc, it might not qualify as a licensee, and therefore is not a proper participant. Because of this, the Summit will allege there was never an offer to Leaf, and therefore, there could not be acceptance or consideration."

Discuss.

Last edited:

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
1081.gif

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Just read the article on Cardboard Connection. It sounds like "The Man" is trying to hold BG down.

I think that probably means that "The Man" is starting to take BG seriously, and is a little intimidated.

Would anyone like to speculate on the identities of "John Does 1-10"?

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
From what I gathered, other companies said that they wouldn't attend if Leaf does.

So, the Summit breached their contract with Leaf.

Not sure what else to make of it after that...

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
Gotta love it. Feel violated.......feel left out.....feel there is a conspiracy against you.....SUE! How many lawsuits has Leaf started/been in since inception? I know he's a board member and I'll probably get hate mail, but he needs to chill out with the law suits, and just go about his business.

On a side note, hopefully he hires Jim Adler the "TEXAS HAMMER" to represent him, he's awesome!!!!!!!

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
BG will definitely win this lawsuit, if he can prove what type of agreement was in place. Oral contracts are much harder to prove in civil cases. There was definitely consideration on behalf of the Summit and since they accepted BG's payment, they must fulfill the promise. However, the Summit in order to protect themselves must have a disclaimer. If they did not provide one expressly, than BG has the upper hand.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
The companies whether they like him or not, need to stop this high school XXXX and go about business. If you like him or not or his cards he's trying to make the hobby better. Sure it might not be pretty now but he's trying. And all anyone seems to do is XXXXX about it

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
http://www.cardboardconnection.com/news/law-cards-leaf-sues-industry-summit

@Leaf

The gyst:

"Leaf claims its "banning" from the Summit was a breach of contract. A breach of contract action is, generally, an easy claim to understand. All that is required is 1) an offer, 2) acceptance and 3) consideration (i.e., payment). Here, Leaf contends 1) it was offered the opportunity to attend and have a booth at the Summit, 2) it accepted by registering and 3) it paid.

Leaf's breach of contract action is basically a, "Hey, I paid, you accepted, so I'm showing up," claim.

Open and shut? Not yet.

The reason behind Leaf's "banning" is that the Summit allegedly rebranded from an entire industry event, to a licensor/licensee event. Following from this, since Leaf is not licensed by the MLB, NFL, NHL, etc, it might not qualify as a licensee, and therefore is not a proper participant. Because of this, the Summit will allege there was never an offer to Leaf, and therefore, there could not be acceptance or consideration."

Discuss.

Actually, this is false.

The show IS allowing unlicensed.
We were told specifically in writing that our "banning" was due to my speech at last years event...
In addition, this speech and any "alleged" format changes occurred BEFORE my contract, establishing prior knowledge.
BG

p.s.- This is only ONE OF THRE COUNTS... This goes way beyond whether I set up this year or not.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Gotta love it. Feel violated.......feel left out.....feel there is a conspiracy against you.....SUE! How many lawsuits has Leaf started/been in since inception? I know he's a board member and I'll probably get hate mail, but he needs to chill out with the law suits, and just go about his business.

On a side note, hopefully he hires Jim Adler the "TEXAS HAMMER" to represent him, he's awesome!!!!!!!

So, let people F you over and take it laying down?
Don't think so.. BG

p.s.- we did attempt 10 time to resolve without this, but as we learned more about the behind the scenes of this episode, the more we knew it had to come out.

cubfan86

Aug 13, 2008
Central,IL
I support Leaf!! There products steadily have a better return than most Topps and Panini products.
This is total BS and I will not be going to the summit this year as a result.
Industry needs to wake up!!

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Thanks, Joe. When I get some free time I'll check it out.

Sure thing, brother. It was good meeting you in person at the National last year after being your rep at BGS for so long. Keep up the good prospect work!

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula

Dude, I love you for the Extract quote. Made my day.

Members online