Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How to organize, catalog, and share your collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
There are many ways to do this, but here's one that I've found useful.

1) Get a google account. This is the same thing as a gmail account which can be used for all sorts of fun things. It's very easy to set up with your own password.

2) Go to drive.google.com. In the upper left hand corner, click create and choose spreadsheet

3) Once inside your spreadsheet, click the share button at the top right. Under who has access, change it to 'anyone who has the link can view' This will allow you to share your collection with whoever you want.

4) Get back inside your spreadsheet. At the top left there is a horizontal dashed line just above the number 1 row (there’s a vertical line next to the letter A column as well). Grab the horizontal dashed line by left clicking and holding. Drag it below the number 1. This will keep row 1 always at the top of your screen, even after you get filling in your spreadsheet and get many lines down the page.

5) Fill in the top line with how you want to organize your collection… card brand/year, player name, team, insert, card number, etc. I usually bold this line as well

6) Start filling in the information for the cards in your collection

7) Now to share your collection. At the top click on View. Normal should be checked now, but you want to change that to list. While in list view, use the web address link to post to others online. They’ll be able to click on your that link to see the cards in your collection.

Great things about a google drive

1)with list view, you and others can sort by whatever parameters you’ve set up to look through your cards. It’ makes it easy to find cards from a particular set, player, or team. Great for trading or selling.

2) it’s easy to share and always available anywhere you can get internet (not just on your home PC)

3) while others can view it, only you can edit it, unless you allow them to

4) while filling out the spreadsheet, there are lots of shortcuts. It will start to autofill when typing for players, teams, etc. that you’ve entered earlier. You can also copy paste or drag sections to autofill if you’re doing a whole bunch of one player or set.

Here’s the example I’ve been working on lately that prompted this post

[url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0ApJHwkk5UdzYdE9KYzV2dHluNERyUGdYYlZpRVo4YWc&usp=drive_web&rm=full#gid=0[/URL]

Hope this useful for someone

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Nice. I have my want lists and for trade list on Google Drive but I didn't set up a spreadsheet. Looks pretty nice I may have to switch over eventually.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
6) Start filling in the information for the cards in your collection

and this is the step that takes the longest...

I started making mine last week. Its a long process if you collect someone with a lot of cards. But i think in the end it will all be worth it!

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Spreadsheets are good, but websites like Zistle make this task much less tedious. Can also provide front and back scans of your cards - something rarely seen on a spreadsheet.