Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is going to be Tanaka's first card? First auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
It's going to be an absolute frenzy when it hits, so the only question is what's the product? Topps Series I? Probably too soon. I have to assume they'll try to capitalize on the madness and have him in Bowman with autos. Guess I'll have to suck it up and dive in on that train.

EDIT: I should obviously add "...in a Yankee uniform", airbrushed or not.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Since Topps has a big O over anything Yankees, I bet the first Tanaka release will be a 100 card set called "Tanaka - Yankee Great" featuring Tanaka in photos from childhood little league through NPB and to his Yankee signing day. Auto may be inserted one in every 50 sets. ;)

ekuhockey13

Nov 13, 2008
Indianapolis,IN
His first auto...sticker auto or on card auto ? I'm going with sticker boooo..

And I bet he has 3 or 4 years with topps as a rookie card like they did Harper..
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I forgot to add his first gimmick will be 2014 Topps Series 2 - the SP variation will depict his intrepreter talking to him on the mound.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Since Topps has a big O over anything Yankees, I bet the first Tanaka release will be a 100 card set called "Tanaka - Yankee Great" featuring Tanaka in photos from childhood little league through NPB and to his Yankee signing day. Auto may be inserted one in every 50 sets. ;)

While that would be a bit of a stretch, I would LOVE to see some Topps cards of recent Japanese imports still in their NPB uniforms with the old "Now with..." text on the front. But of course Topps would have to work out licensing deals with the companies that own the NPB teams. I really wish some company would do a yearly set of star players from Taiwan, Korea and Japan that are likely to sign in the US in the near future. Would be a nice way to introduce them to the US market.

Wrigley

Feb 6, 2012
Possibly, he could go the way of Kosuke Fukudome and never have a certified MLB autograph. I've never heard why Fukudome never had a certified autograph from his MLB days. Does anyone know?

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Possibly, he could go the way of Kosuke Fukudome and never have a certified MLB autograph. I've never heard why Fukudome never had a certified autograph from his MLB days. Does anyone know?

Kuroda's never had certified autos either. I suppose they refuse to sign auto contracts with Topps?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
His first auto in a yanks uni is going to be a redemption that goes unfulfilled.

I'll finish your sentence:

His first auto in a yanks uni is going to be a redemption that gets exchanged for a Jeff nieman autograph.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Hopefully Topps gets him into 14 Bowman somehow, but Bowman Platinum's looking pretty strong for his 1st autos.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Sssssssp in heritage is first card.

Tribute first auto.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online