Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: Mega-Parallel Sets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
For this discussion, I'm defining a Mega-Parallel Set as any set that the players in it had 20 or more parallels. I'm leaving out sets centered around one player, like Topps Mickey Mantle and Barry Bonds.

Can you help me come up with a list of parallel sets that would fit the bill - any I'm missing? I'm also interested in hearing which ones are your favorites and why.

Mega-Parallel Sets:
1998 Topps Tek (each player had 90 regular patterns and 90 gold patterns)
1999 Topps Tek (each player had 60 regular patterns and 60 gold patterns)
2000 Topps Tek (each player had 15 regular patterns, 5 color patterns and 20 gold patterns)
2004 Donruss Diamond Kings (total patterns varied by player)
2004 Leaf Exhibits (each player had 86 patterns)
2005 Leaf Sportscasters (each player had 140 patterns)
2005 Donruss Throwback Threads Polo Grounds (each player had 45 patterns)
2005 Studio Portraits (each player had 56 patterns)
2007 Topps Moments and Milestones (total patterns varied by player)
2008 Topps Moments and Milestones (total patterns varied by player)

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Do they have to be the same picture? If not, 2005 Heroes had a bunch of different colors/GU/auto/patch/GU+auto parallels.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I would venture 2008 UD Documentary as a off-the-cuff guess, having completed about two-thirds of the set. I've seen so many similar photos over different cards that it wouldn't surprise me if a player(s) appeared 20+ times in the set with the same photo on front and the variation in those was the Team Season Game Number depicted with a different card number for each team season game number.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
I would venture 2008 UD Documentary as a off-the-cuff guess, having completed about two-thirds of the set. I've seen so many similar photos over different cards that it wouldn't surprise me if a player(s) appeared 20+ times in the set with the same photo on front and the variation in those was the Team Season Game Number depicted with a different card number for each team season game number.

It's a pretty lame set:

08UpperDeckDocumentary.jpg

08UDDocumentaryGold.jpg

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Came across a lot of Polo grounds the other day and went search for info on them and came across this thread.

I think it's worthy of a bump to see if there's any new info out there.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board