Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official MIKE PIAZZA Collector's Thread

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Official MIKE PIAZZA Collector's Thread

Hi everyone,

Most of you who know me know that I primarily collect both Mike Piazza and Pedro Martinez, and most of my other collections have Dodger themes (former ROYs, current stars, etc.) I've never started an "official" thread of either of my two PC guys but thought better late than never.

Ideally I would love this to be a forum where other Piazza collectors, or members with Piazza cards, can show them off, trade, help each other with their needs/wants, and just talk shop about the greatest offensive catcher in baseball history. No asterisks.

Feel free to show off both what you got and also future maildays. I hope I'm not the only one posting in here!
    I collect Pedro Martinez, Mike Piazza, Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers prospects and Trevor Bauer (and anything nice that catches my eye)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this thread is just beginning, thought would be good to go waaaaaaaay back and show off some of Piazza's earliest cards. When I first got back into collecting, one of my initial goals was to obtain Mike's first minor league and rookie cards in high-end condition, either via acquisition or getting raw cards graded myself. I just picked up the 1990 Vero Beach card below, which was the last early issue card (through 1992) to complete the 'set." There are a few cards missing, such as the 1992 Highland Mint cards and the Classic Red and Classic Blue Bonus cards that I have not yet tracked down. But I consider the latter variations of the 1992 Classic card below.

Enjoy! (and sorry for the long initial post)

1989 Salem Dodgers Team Issue

1990 Vero Beach (newly acquired!)

1991 Bakersfield Dodgers Cal League (self-subbed)

1991 California League All-Stars (self-subbed)

1992 Albuquerque Dukes Fleer/ProCards (self-subbed)

1992 Bowman

1992 Classic/Best

1992 Donruss Rookie Phenoms (self-subbed)

1992 Fleer Update

1992 San Antonio Missions SkyBox (self-subbed)

1992 SkyBox AA
    I collect Pedro Martinez, Mike Piazza, Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers prospects and Trevor Bauer (and anything nice that catches my eye)

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice cards and there are several Piazza collectors around ----------- NOT ME

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved these when they were brand new. Still love a nicely done dufex card.

That is the only Piazza item I have scanned right now!

Senior Member mlbsalltimegreats's Avatar
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't collect Piazza Specifically but in anticipation that he makes the HOF i have picked up early pieces for my Hof collection. Only thing im looking for is a really nice auto of his.
    Last edited by mlbsalltimegreats; 05-01-2014 at 02:34 PM.

corockies
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

serial # = jersey #

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always liked Piazza, but I could never quite start collecting him. I saw his first at-bat on live TV and IIRC they mentioned right away the 62nd round pick and Lasorda connection. His being from Norristown and me being from Ambler (nearby suburban town) made it feel like a hometown connection. I do have a few nice Piazzas, will try to scan them this weekend. I look forward to some great stuff being posted here.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases and Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff guys! thanks for taking the time to post and flash the goods.
    @mrmopar - agree, love that 93 Select cards. Pretty iconic. I'd actually never seen the Tim Salmon until your post. What a lot people don't know or remember is that these dufex ROY cards were case hits (both) and so there are only about 1,950 of each card produced. if I remember correctly Which was pretty limited by early 90s standards.
    @mlbsalltimegreats - jaw dropping! love the bat plate and the MLB logo man. I was bummed to miss out on both, but they definitely belong in your collection!
    @corockies - nice 98 Topps Stars Gold Rainbow. Never have seen one. I have the jersey #d to 31 for these guys below, we should join forces:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my contribution for the weekend--I love these cards, but also wanted to show as a setup to something more exciting early in the week...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great cards in here for sure ! A lot of the graded have great subs too

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

corockies
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gradedeflator View Post
    @corockies - nice 98 Topps Stars Gold Rainbow. Never have seen one. I have the jersey #d to 31 for these guys below, we should join forces:

I think the card I have is the Piazza '98 Topps Stars base card (serial # is 0031 OF 9799). Gold Rainbows were out of 99 if I remember correctly.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, you're absolutely right. i had trouble reading the serial number on the back of the card you posted...misread it, thanks for the correction! okay, still haven't seen the topps stars gold rainbow /99 card...

Quote Originally Posted by corockies View Post
    I think the card I have is the Piazza '98 Topps Stars base card (serial # is 0031 OF 9799). Gold Rainbows were out of 99 if I remember correctly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More duflex..

Interested in Stan Musial, Eddie Mathews, Koufax, Drysdale, Kell, Brooks Robinson, Nolan Ryan and Enos Slaughter on-card certified autographs or PSA vintage cards.
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... manfan/PC/

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Promo pack with McGwire on back.

Interested in Stan Musial, Eddie Mathews, Koufax, Drysdale, Kell, Brooks Robinson, Nolan Ryan and Enos Slaughter on-card certified autographs or PSA vintage cards.
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... manfan/PC/

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast